Laura Bow - Colonel's Bequest Playthrough.

Feeling like this game could be murder... literally? Well, come on in here for some extra detective work (and clues/hints/etc!) for the Laura Bow games (The Colonel's Bequest and The Dagger of Amon Ra).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Laura Bow - Colonel's Bequest Playthrough.

Post by Tawmis »

This will be next on my list (still rendering Phantasmagoria 2 and need to do commentary version too) - but someone on my Let's Play Sierra Games asked if Colonel's Bequest was on the menu - so I figure, why not, especially considering how much I love both of the games.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Laura Bow - Colonel's Bequest Playthrough.

Post by Collector »

TCB certainly deserves it.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I still haven't played it yet. Better get to it ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I was bored - and spliced the opening of Laura Bow: Colonel's Bequest to CLUE's opening music. :D
Had to speed up a lot of the video, because the opening of LBCB is 9 minutes long - but there's things I purposely timed (the knife hitting the will, the lightning, the tone changing when they approach the door). :D

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Nicely done. :) What is CLUE's opening music? Are you referring to a computer game, or TV show, or...? I'm confused.

Also, the boat seems to hit the pier with an awful lot of force. I'm surprised it doesn't sink. :lol:

The people's names seem to be references to things. Clarence Sparrow is an obvious reference to Clarence Darrow, the famous lawyer and leading member of the ACLU. Celie is a reference to Whoopie Goldberg's "Celie" character in "The Colour Purple". Jeeves is an obvious reference to the Jeeves and Wooster stories, though in those stories, Jeeves was smart and had lots of connections but sometimes a bit of a jerk. (Not sure what he's like here).

Dr Wilbur C. Feels is a reference to W. C. Fields ... and since dijon is a mustard, the Colonel's name is a reference to Colonel Mustard from Clue. ;)

What did Col. Dijon make his money from? *curious* Was it diamonds, by any chance? The starting scene reminds me very much of "Hercule Poirot's Christmas", where Simeon Lee invites his entire family 'round to Christmas and also mentions his will, and that his fortune -- derived from diamond mining -- will be divided among them all.

It's no spoiler that later, he is also murdered... ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:17 am Nicely done. :) What is CLUE's opening music? Are you referring to a computer game, or TV show, or...? I'm confused.
Have you never seen the movie CLUE?

Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:17 am Nicely done. :) What is CLUE's opening music? Are you referring to a computer game, or TV show, or...? I'm confused.

Also, the boat seems to hit the pier with an awful lot of force. I'm surprised it doesn't sink. :lol:

The people's names seem to be references to things. Clarence Sparrow is an obvious reference to Clarence Darrow, the famous lawyer and leading member of the ACLU. Celie is a reference to Whoopie Goldberg's "Celie" character in "The Colour Purple". Jeeves is an obvious reference to the Jeeves and Wooster stories, though in those stories, Jeeves was smart and had lots of connections but sometimes a bit of a jerk. (Not sure what he's like here).

Dr Wilbur C. Feels is a reference to W. C. Fields ... and since dijon is a mustard, the Colonel's name is a reference to Colonel Mustard from Clue. ;)

What did Col. Dijon make his money from? *curious* Was it diamonds, by any chance? The starting scene reminds me very much of "Hercule Poirot's Christmas", where Simeon Lee invites his entire family 'round to Christmas and also mentions his will, and that his fortune -- derived from diamond mining -- will be divided among them all.

It's no spoiler that later, he is also murdered... ;)
TCB relied very heavily on standard murder mystery tropes popularised by the likes of Agatha Christie and the game Clue. Hence the archetypal characters, the pun names, etc.

Just play it and you’ll get it.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:55 am
Have you never seen the movie CLUE?

Oh, that one! :D Yes, I've seen it and loved it. It's only that I've been playing the game recently, which reminded me of the TV show. ;)

I'm sure BBP will get a kick out of the TV show, it's so corny (but in a good way). :D
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Haven't seen much of the British Clue but I did watch and translate all episodes of Cluedo - den Mörderspiel for the Cluedo website.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

By episodes of Cluedo, do you mean the TV show, BBP? :) And which TV show do you mean? I think there was more than one. :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Oh yes! I think there are 5 or 6 seasons or so - plus the show aired in other countries as well. Australian Cluedo is the Holy Grail in that respect, episodes are hard to come by. I've seen one episode of the UK version years ago, wasn't too impressed by it.

As you may recall I'm a fan of Whodunnit - the ITV production. Of which the US version is hard to come by and the Dutch version is over the top beyond belief. It is different in the sense that Cluedo always keeps to its game background by having the manor and the six colourful suspects and the suggestion plus reveal how many are right. Because Whodunnit doesn't adhere to the board game standard, the setting can change a lot, allowing for more variation in story line and the possibility of multiple suspects.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 am Haven't seen much of the British Clue but I did watch and translate all episodes of Cluedo - den Mörderspiel for the Cluedo website.
Feel free to share my Laura Bow/Clue theme video with the Cluedo website people. ;)
If you so pleased!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Pretty sure I found a bug...
Attachments
lillian.png
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Phew - I swear, every time I play this game, I think I found something new.
I got pretty close to Super Sleuth (one ticker thing away) - but the notebook was missing some stuff.
I know where I messed up in a few spots, already.
But damn this is a great game.

Saw the flying statue twice, as well as the ghost in the grave yard. Even got the weird bell death where she's shrunk.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:53 pm Pretty sure I found a bug...
I just replayed the game and encountered this again. There is a certain command you can type where it acknowledges Lillian is in the room, but is reading so won’t talk to you. It also registers her presence if you spy through the portrait holes.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber

Return to “The Laura Bow Games”