Let's Play Sierra Games - Gabriel Knight 3.

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Let's Play Sierra Games - Gabriel Knight 3.

Post by Tawmis »

Channel update. :D Love doing my silly edits. :D

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Let's Play Sierra Games - Gabriel Knight 3.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I like the "what do I do now?" expression on your face. :lol:

Yes, I wasn't a fan of the last chapter of GK2. *shrug* I didn't die so often, but trying to control Gabriel's movements and closing the doors was clunky.

For a long, long time, I couldn't get past chapter 4 of GK2 ... and couldn't figure out why. GAH. :(

Anyway, back to GK3. :D I liked GK3 very much ... except for ***SPOILER*** Gabriel's screams when he dies and the infamous moustache. :lol:
========================
I agree that GK3's graphics look dated; this was also something I noticed about Quest for Glory 5. I also like GK1 much better than either GK2 or GK3, despite its dated graphics, but I don't know why. I loved all of GK1, even the horrible struggling to get past the zombies (where I died so many times!!!) :shock:

I noticed that in all the GK games, there's a feeling in the beginning of "Let's explore the world and see what we can find" ... but towards the end, Gabriel becomes "Mr Dies-A-Lot". And he screams a lot. ;)

I don't think this happens in any other Sierra quest game. In QfG, KQ, and SQ, the hero/Graham/Roger/etc. can die at any time. In PQ, Sonny can die in multiple ways and times. In LSL, it really depends (but Larry can die at any time during LSL2 and LSL3). Only in GK does this progression - explore at the start, die easily at the end - happen.
========================
It's easy to move around in King's Quest? I think Alexander in KQ3 (on the cliffs) and Rosella in KQ4 (on the cliffs and stairs) would disagree. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Back when I worked on the GK3 script in 2010 I found out what the original puzzle was supposed to be - a crow has used black fibers from a mat to line his nest, Gabriel uses a fire hose that's located by the museum to spray the nest down and harvest the fibers. According to Adam Bormann this was canned because the spray didn't work. He spilled the beans on the GK4 forum (I think you were on that as well, weren't you?) . It's defunct but can still be read via archive.org.
https://web.archive.org/web/20101228083 ... ?f=2&t=294

Audio and graphics still survive on your game disks and can be accessed via the Barn Browser. I made a composite image of the now-missing tree (view from Villa Bethania) and pictures of the hose, and played the now missing audio files that hint to the puzzle.

There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I wonder what the woman's voice is for?

I wonder if those are lines that Tim would need to read?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:45 am I wonder what the woman's voice is for?
I think that sounds like the actress who played Grace. :) I presume Grace comes by later and sees what Gabriel did.
Tawmis wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:45 am I wonder if those are lines that Tim would need to read?
I think it is Tim reading those lines. :) The suggestive way he reads the lines about the garden hose reminds me of Leisure Suit Larry. :P
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Oh, I know it's Tim reading the male lines - but the female lines threw me off when I heard them. And the fact that there's so few of them. My question was - if the female lines were placeholders.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

No idea. *shrug* As I said, it sounds like Charity James, who voiced Grace.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So, between doing my D&D notes (trying to catch up on those) I also came back to playing GK3 for my channel. And mother of lawd...

So, trying to do the right sequence order of getting Mosley's passport was a pain in the rump. :D
If you go up the wrong stairs or if he sees you, he just eats the candy and never drops it, for you to be able to get the passport.
But locating the cat was another nightmare.

Now thinking, if this had been someone's first time playing an adventure game, stealing Mosley's passport seems farfetched to think of - well, at least in the manner in which Gabe does it. But the cat? Even the whole idea of the catstache being outlandish - but needing to "camera push" you way all the way to where the cat is rather than "arrow" movements that divide the areas, makes it a bit of a pain too.

But otherwise, rediscovering how much I really did love the GK3 story and characters in it.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Ugh. Well, this is annoying. You can't use SIDNEY in GK3 in 1920x1080 screen.
https://www.gog.com/forum/gabriel_knigh ... d3d11_only

Thread.

Le Sigh. So now I need two different short cuts.

For reference...
Image1.png
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Pssssst Tawm?

It's easy for me to talk knowing GK3 inside out of course, but did you know that when you click the right mouse button, there's an option that you can click that'll give you a selection of 6 camera views? Super handy if you're looking for kitties in back alleys.

Let me know if you need more help. I can show you the Best Spots To Hold Your Cursor anytime :)
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:49 am Pssssst Tawm?
It's easy for me to talk knowing GK3 inside out of course, but did you know that when you click the right mouse button, there's an option that you can click that'll give you a selection of 6 camera views? Super handy if you're looking for kitties in back alleys.
Let me know if you need more help. I can show you the Best Spots To Hold Your Cursor anytime :)
Hah! I always forget the camera in the options. But even then - don't you still need to camera push/walk around the corner of the Church to even head in the right direction? I always thought the camera thing just did relevantly close to where Gabriel was?

Since I am recording, I normally don't mind camera pushing - because I can set the camera up - and then click where I want Gabriel to go and have a cool scene of Gabriel walking across or walking into the scene, which is kind of cool. But for the cat specifically - I camera pushed all the way to the right of the church - turned left - camera pushed all the way down to the end of the alley where the cat is.

And even then I was wandering around for a bit before I found that alley, looking for the cat.

For some weird reason I always thought he hung around just outside the moped shop (near the fountain). Maybe because there's that big chicken that walks by and if you click it Gabe says, "They must not have a lot of cats around here" - hinting there was a cat to be found.

But maybe I should have taken that as there's no cats in that area - move away from there. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:30 am Ugh. Well, this is annoying. You can't use SIDNEY in GK3 in 1920x1080 screen.
https://www.gog.com/forum/gabriel_knigh ... d3d11_only

Thread.

Le Sigh. So now I need two different short cuts.

For reference...
Image1.png
In regards to this - I ended up making two short cuts. One that is the 1920x1080 and another that's 640x480.
I have Grace sit at the computer in 1920, where it's wonky - save - exit. Load 640x480 and the computer is full screen (looks much better this way than 1024x768, even!) Do the computer thing. Save, quit, load up the 1920 and have her stand. Just going to take some minor editing of when she sits to have it immediately cut to the "good" screen. I am resizing the 640 to 1920 so it's all one resolution. Causes some stretching, but it's just the computer emails and research text, so bah, trivial. Going to take a lot of editing though because I think using that damn computer comes up quite a bit.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Funny, I don't remember having this issue, but it has been a while. I think I may have just played it with a non-wide screen resolution.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:50 pm Funny, I don't remember having this issue, but it has been a while. I think I may have just played it with a non-wide screen resolution.
Yeah if you do it in 640x480, then make it go full screen, you won't have the issue.
And...

If I wasn't doing it for a Youtube Channel, that's how I'd play it.

But since I am doing it for my channel - I'd prefer to have a nice, good resolution.

I just make another discovery. The BIK files (the movies between some of the scenes) are all 640x480. So I am resizing those too.

I am enjoying playing GK3, despite my gripes here, because it's actually a funner game than I remember. It's been a pretty long time since I have played GK3. The graphics used to bug me (I get it, we're here talking Sierra games; but there's something to say about good bad graphics - SCI, AGI; and then bad, good graphics - KQ8, for example). :)

But I will be happy to be done with it, because of all these little things I need to do just to make it work for my channel.

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”