Let's Play Sierra Games - Gabriel Knight 3.

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Let's Play Sierra Games - Gabriel Knight 3.

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:12 am I am enjoying playing GK3, despite my gripes here, because it's actually a funner game than I remember. It's been a pretty long time since I have played GK3. The graphics used to bug me (I get it, we're here talking Sierra games; but there's something to say about good bad graphics - SCI, AGI; and then bad, good graphics - KQ8, for example). :)
You could do one of MoE, next, or tis it beyond your reach?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:12 am I am enjoying playing GK3, despite my gripes here, because it's actually a funner game than I remember. It's been a pretty long time since I have played GK3. The graphics used to bug me (I get it, we're here talking Sierra games; but there's something to say about good bad graphics - SCI, AGI; and then bad, good graphics - KQ8, for example). :)
It is actually quite good. I did like the Sidney map puzzle. The graphics... were a product of its era. I think going 3D was probably unnecessary for this kind of game. Now, there really are no restrictions with what can be done graphically and it is amazing what clean, simple, 2D graphics can achieve if that is all the game needs.

So GK3 was released in 1999. Was this Sierra's last adventure game? I can't think anything else that was released later that qualifies as an adventure game.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:24 pm
You could do one of MoE, next, or tis it beyond your reach?
I do have Mask of Eternity... and I know I've never finished it. I got it when it first came out. And I don't think I've ever played more than an hour into the game. I don't know that I ever really left Daventry - I remember the stuff in town. Then going down a hill. And fighting something. And getting killed. And never picking it up again. lol

Having done Lighthouse not too long ago, I am not sure I wanna do Mask of Eternity so soon. :D

My commentary of it might be fun though.
notbobsmith wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:53 pm
It is actually quite good. I did like the Sidney map puzzle. The graphics... were a product of its era. I think going 3D was probably unnecessary for this kind of game. Now, there really are no restrictions with what can be done graphically and it is amazing what clean, simple, 2D graphics can achieve if that is all the game needs.
So GK3 was released in 1999. Was this Sierra's last adventure game? I can't think anything else that was released later that qualifies as an adventure game.
You're right. I always think Quest for Glory V came out after GK3, but it didn't (that was 1998). So perhaps, yeah GK3 was the last Adventure Game from Sierra.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I remember getting Quest for Glory V back in 1998 ... and installing it in the late afternoon/early evening, and breaking for dinner while installation was in progress ... and then playing the heck out of it until 4 am, and crawling into bed. (Of course, I was much younger and stupider in those days). :P

Come to think of it, I also remember playing Neverwinter Nights 1 (the original campaign) until about 4 am before crawling into bed. (And yes, I was also much younger and stupider then. Has it really been 25 years since then? Wow). :shock:

Why do people do really stoopid things when they're young? :P
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Still plugging away - near the end of day 2 (5pm to 10pm)...

And I am reminded, how much I hate planning the thing in Sidney as Grace, with the circles and squares, and dots on the map.

Holy Hades, this is the worse. Well, not the worse. The worse is Lighthouse.

But this is pretty close.

Give me Codename: Iceman any day over this ridiculous planning riddle thing...
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I thought the worst (or most frustrating?) was Manhunter. Or Gold Rush. Or Phantasmagoria? ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:32 pm I thought the worst (or most frustrating?) was Manhunter. Or Gold Rush. Or Phantasmagoria? ;)
No, Manhunter is easy - except the bomb field. Apparently I am too dense to see the pattern there (even though I knew what to do).

Gold Rush is only a pain because death can be random (as in, "Oh you randomly die of a disease!") even though you've done everything correctly.

Phantasmagoria isn't frustrating at all - the second one is annoying once ye enter the Dimension X area, but it's relatively short.

None of those compare to figuring out the plotting things.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Finally finished. Need to pull all the pieces together see how long this monster is.

Game is over all easy (need to pay attention to ALLLLLL of the detail) - for the end.

And speaking of the end. Man.

Did I die.

A lot.

That pendulum got me so many times...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rendering GK3 (gonna take awhile). In total (splitting it into 3 videos) - it was 16 hours of game play.
A lot of depth and a lot of lore. Really have to pay attention to the details when it comes to the plotting stuff in Sidney.
Wish there was a thing like in Lighthouse (yes, I am saying there was something good about Lighthouse), where you can click "Solve this part for me." LOL

Because while I loved the story, getting those circles, and pentagrams, and lines, and all that lined up... Phew.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:44 pm Finally finished. Need to pull all the pieces together see how long this monster is.

Game is over all easy (need to pay attention to ALLLLLL of the detail) - for the end.

Did I die.

A lot.

Now you know why I hate that pendulum (and Gabriel's dying scream). ;)

I hate it. So. Much. :P
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:59 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:44 pm Finally finished. Need to pull all the pieces together see how long this monster is.
Did I die.
A lot.
Now you know why I hate that pendulum (and Gabriel's dying scream). ;)
I hate it. So. Much. :P
It cracked me up so much. But I was delirious knowing I was done with SIDNEY. :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Part 1 of 3. (Part 2 is rendering at home while I am at work)

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Tawm, top tip for the pendulum is to stand 2 fields behind the golden symbol, not 1. If you're 2 fields behind it, the pendulum will miss you if you missed your opportunity.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I wish I knew that when I was playing GK3. It would've saved me a whole lot of dying. :(
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:32 pm Tawm, top tip for the pendulum is to stand 2 fields behind the golden symbol, not 1. If you're 2 fields behind it, the pendulum will miss you if you missed your opportunity.
Oh, I died a few times before even knowing the golden symbol thing. I just stepped out on the first disc I could. And worked my way until the "grab" icon appeared (dying each time) until it appeared. And quite a few times I missed even after the first disc. I assumed at that point, if it was the next one, you'd just need to grab it from the other side.

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”