Favorite of the Series?

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Favorite of the Series?

Post by Tawmis »

So if you had to pick a favorite from the GK series - which one would it be and why?
And do you have a least favorite? What makes it so?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Favorite of the Series?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

GK1 is my favourite. Why? So much! The voice acting. The plot. The tearjerkers (e.g. when Wolfgang dies). Sure, it has its hard parts (e.g. zombie mound, getting away from Dr John's snake), but that just makes things more satisfying.

Least favourite? Possibly GK3. No, not because of the cat hair 'stache; I just felt like, for a long time, almost nothing was happening. I remember some people died, but I still can't remember who or why.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:34 pm GK1 is my favourite. Why? So much! The voice acting. The plot. The tearjerkers (e.g. when Wolfgang dies). Sure, it has its hard parts (e.g. zombie mound, getting away from Dr John's snake), but that just makes things more satisfying.
Least favourite? Possibly GK3. No, not because of the cat hair 'stache; I just felt like, for a long time, almost nothing was happening. I remember some people died, but I still can't remember who or why.
I am of the same boat - GK1 is my favorite. Probably because it was really the first game that had so much depth and lore. Made me immediately interested in New Orleans, Voodoo, etc. Led to me going there, meeting Jules. So there's a lot to it that makes me love GK1.

GK3, I love - but probably least favorite - solely because of the SIDNEY computer.

And only three people die in GK3 (two of them at the same time; agents, if you will) - and one of the "tourists" dies (I only know because I just got to that ... and pretty sure if memory serves me, I am close to the end, being I am on Day 3)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

GK3 is my favourite which may have to do with playing it first as I was about to embark on Tim Curry fandom - before I played that I never knew a game could be that good. I struggled through most adventure games I played due to not being a native speaker. GK3 was no different with me needing help most steps of the way - in spite of that I managed to get a lot of problem solving done in Le Serpent Rouge, which won our Best Puzzle segment for good reason.

Ilove SIDNEY. It's a shame that, now that technology is marching on, SIDNEY's not working well and the graphics aren't sharp either - of all games it could benefit most from a remake.

Then GK1 which I enjoyed very much as well - except Virginia Capers. I also noticed that voodoo and New Orleans don't attract me as much as vampires and the south of France, which I regularly visited in my youth.

And then after a long pause, GK2, which is not even in my top 3 of Live Action Adventures anymore, and is carried by Peter J Lucas and the opera. Ya know, I like puzzles in my game, and GK2 has them few and far between (no, not far between. The first puzzle is the end of chapter 5 and the second puzzle is very similar, the end of chapter 6.. The less said about the lead characters in the game, the better. Shame. I don't want to touch it again, the first time playing I liked it somewhat, but after the 2nd and 3rd replay of the infernal museum section I just... well...

(psssst: GK3 has 3 corpses. GK1 has only 1 and mummies. GK2 has only the one wolf victim. GK3 for the win!)
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

GK1 for me. I like the darker tone. By GK3, Gabriel is more comfortable in his role. He is confident and wise cracking. In GK1 he genuinely sounds depressed. The FMV in GK2 is kind of off putting, which was the problem with FMV to begin with. Lots of clips of Gabriel (or Grace) opening a cabinet or walking to a book shelf. Though I think all three have good stories with some interesting educational value. GK1 with voodoo, GK2 with Ludwig II and GK3 which was "The Da Vinci Code" before "The Da Vinci Code".
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:04 am And then after a long pause, GK2, which is not even in my top 3 of Live Action Adventures anymore, and is carried by Peter J Lucas and the opera. Ya know, I like puzzles in my game, and GK2 has them few and far between (no, not far between. The first puzzle is the end of chapter 5 and the second puzzle is very similar, the end of chapter 6.. The less said about the lead characters in the game, the better. Shame. I don't want to touch it again, the first time playing I liked it somewhat, but after the 2nd and 3rd replay of the infernal museum section I just... well...
NBS mentioned Ludwig of Bavaria! :D What do you think, BBP?

GK2 might be one of my "less favourite" games, but because of it, I became interested in Ludwig II (aka "The Swan King"), and started researching him. His story is very interesting, and very sad -- and also has no end. Why? Because the Bavarian archives still won't allow researchers to find out how he died.

For decades, there were rumours that foreign powers (especially Bismarck's Prussia) were involved in Ludwig's death. But the official story is that Ludwig died from natural causes: that he tried to swim across Lake Starnberg to Austria, where his cousin Elisabeth was reigning, but drowned in the lake. But Ludwig was still young and physically powerful, so that story makes no sense.

Besides, if Ludwig died from natural causes, what reason do the Bavarian archives have to keep his file closed? What are they hiding? Inquiring minds want to know! :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:03 pm GK2 might be one of my "less favourite" games, but because of it, I became interested in Ludwig II (aka "The Swan King"), and started researching him.
I think it's cool that Jane inspired so much (you with Ludwig, myself with New Orleans and Voodoo).
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Ludwig II of Bavaria is a very interesting historical figure, yes. There are many theories around his life and death, but I doubt he was a werewolf. :D I think that's an issue that GK2 has that GK1 and GK3 don't, is it poses an unrealistic version of history rather than using it as background. Same with Wagner.

There are a lot of little gripes - no prima donna is prima donna enough to beg for an extra aria hours before opening in a newly discovered Wagner opera, the Herrenchiemsee lady is just awful and the Smiths are so grating... There are times when you need to follow the exact order - like opening the fireplace before putting coal on your shovel or the horrible dressing room section - there are times in chapters 1, 2 and 3 where you are just running back and forth - a lot of the information is taken in by reading where it would have worked better if it was either completely optional (like GK3 museum) or in dialogue (like GK1 and Dr John or GK3 and Larry Chester). The museum section is the worst exponent of it - walking around, clicking maniacally and missing most of it because of lacking visual cues.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 pm Ludwig II of Bavaria is a very interesting historical figure, yes. There are many theories around his life and death, but I doubt he was a werewolf. :D
Not that WE know, anyway. ;)
BBP wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 pm I think that's an issue that GK2 has that GK1 and GK3 don't, is it poses an unrealistic version of history rather than using it as background. Same with Wagner.
Having just finished GK3, they take some stabs at what some would call history (Jesus, his bloodline, vampires, etc).

I think the GK games all kind of do that... GK1 did some stuff with Marie, the Voodoo Queen ... and where you mention that Ludwig II being a werewolf broke it for you, to me, the entire underground facility in GK1 beneath Jackson Square (and especially the end with the destruction) was a bit too much for me (and took me out at the end a little). GK3 does a good job, over all, just sticking to things and doesn't really do anything too outlandish... until Asmodeus / the demon is summoned at the end. But really, GK is all about that supernatural thing, so suspending belief has to be a part of accepting what the game is about. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 pm Ludwig II of Bavaria is a very interesting historical figure, yes. There are many theories around his life and death, but I doubt he was a werewolf. :D I think that's an issue that GK2 has that GK1 and GK3 don't, is it poses an unrealistic version of history rather than using it as background. Same with Wagner.
I have read loads of books about Ludwig. He had such a sad childhood. No wonder he was so lonely and badly-adjusted as an adult. (And yes, he used to take nightly sleigh rides ... but that still doesn't make him a werewolf). ;)

I wrote a short "introduction" to the life of Ludwig, his childhood, his achievements, and some theories about his death, for the GK4 Campaign. :D Too bad it's down now. :(
BBP wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 pm There are a lot of little gripes - no prima donna is prima donna enough to beg for an extra aria hours before opening in a newly discovered Wagner opera...
YES! :D The only equivalent I can think of happened the evening before the premiere of "The Mikado", by Gilbert and Sullivan. Gilbert had cut out the Mikado's song, but the entire cast and chorus appealed to him to reinstate the song. He reluctantly did, and this song - "A More Humane Mikado" - became a classic in the G&S repertoire.

But someone demanding an extra aria, just hours before opening? A skilful enough composer might be able to write one, but you need to dash off enough copies for the orchestra, and you need them to rehearse it with the prima donna once or twice, and you need the other cast members to know and rehearse it too ... and ... and, and ... :?

There's NO WAY you can do that in a few hours. :P
BBP wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 pm The museum section is the worst exponent of it - walking around, clicking maniacally and missing most of it because of lacking visual cues.
Indeed. I was stuck on the museum sections for WEEKS, because I couldn't figure out what I missed, and eventually gave up in disgust. Ugh. It was years before I picked up the game again.
Tawmis wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:47 pm
BBP wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 pm I think that's an issue that GK2 has that GK1 and GK3 don't, is it poses an unrealistic version of history rather than using it as background. Same with Wagner.
Having just finished GK3, they take some stabs at what some would call history (Jesus, his bloodline, vampires, etc).

I think the GK games all kind of do that... GK1 did some stuff with Marie, the Voodoo Queen ... and where you mention that Ludwig II being a werewolf broke it for you, to me, the entire underground facility in GK1 beneath Jackson Square (and especially the end with the destruction) was a bit too much for me (and took me out at the end a little). GK3 does a good job, over all, just sticking to things and doesn't really do anything too outlandish... until Asmodeus / the demon is summoned at the end. But really, GK is all about that supernatural thing, so suspending belief has to be a part of accepting what the game is about. :D
True. You don't play a game like Gabriel Knight and expect it to be completely free of supernatural influences. ;) If you want a game that sticks to the real world, play Police Quest. ;)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

In GK1 it's not Marie Laveau who is in the voodoo cartel. But she provides the background. Being a staunch atheist who considers Jesus a historical figure that wasn't such a leap of faith (haha) for me but I imagine there would be people insulted by it. What I loved about GK1 and GK3 is that there is a very transient line of acceptance where you don't know what is real anymore. GK2 on the other hand, has the lily. Oh and the mysterious force blowing out candles.
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Uh, BBP ... what would people be insulted by? I'm confused.

Also, what is the lily in GK2? And the mysterious force blowing out candles? I don't think I've seen those (or remember them).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:01 pm Uh, BBP ... what would people be insulted by? I'm confused.
Also, what is the lily in GK2? And the mysterious force blowing out candles? I don't think I've seen those (or remember them).
Indicating Jesus had children.
The lily in the pond shows Ludwig II's face. The candles blow out when ye get his heart.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Um, what? You get Ludwig II's heart? :shock: When does that happen? I don't think I remember.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Yeah I've been trying to forget it too, Rath.. :D

In chapter 6 you start out in Rittersburg as Grace, and you need to find a diagram of the opera house. It's stored in the urn where Ludwig's heart is kept. To get it, you need to:
Put the silver heart in Maria's basket at the altar and pray to her.
The wind will snuff a candle. This is your cue to open the door and the guards will be occupied re-lighting candles. Then you have the time to retrieve the map from Ludwig's urn.
Skip to new scripts

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”