Favorite of the Series?

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Favorite of the Series?

Post by Tawmis »

So if you had to pick a favorite from the KQ series - which one would it be and why?
And do you have a least favorite? What makes it so?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Favorite of the Series?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Favourite would be a tie between KQ4 and KQ6. I liked playing as Rosella and Alexander for a change.

Least favourite would be a tie between KQ3 and KQ5. KQ3 is because I kept falling off the cliffs (or turned into a cat), and KQ5 ... because of wussy Cedric. "Oh nooo, dooon't go in there! It's a poiiii-sonous something!" :P
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

KQ4 is my favorite (I know, I know, KQ6 is amazing. I get it). But KQ4 being able to play a female lead was amazing.

Least is probably KQ5, and not because of Cedric. But it felt different somehow. I know you'd think KQ3 is my least because of how often I complain about Manahanananan - but when you get him into cat form - it's very satisfying... I will say KQ3 is the most difficult of the entire series. (And I am ruling out Mask of Eternity for my least favorite... because... that's too easy)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

KQ6. I loved the setting and the multiple ways to complete the game.

Least favorite would be KQ5 and not because of Cedric. I just don't think it's a well designed game. Lots of places to dead-end. The maze near the end that's incredibly confusing. The reliance on random events in the castle in the end. Cheese to power the magic device? And I don't think there are any extra points anywhere. If you complete the game, you get the max score.

The others are all fine with various frustrating things like climbing stairs or the bridge breaking in KQ2.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:32 pm KQ6. I loved the setting and the multiple ways to complete the game.
Least favorite would be KQ5 and not because of Cedric. I just don't think it's a well designed game. Lots of places to dead-end. The maze near the end that's incredibly confusing. The reliance on random events in the castle in the end. Cheese to power the magic device? And I don't think there are any extra points anywhere. If you complete the game, you get the max score.
The others are all fine with various frustrating things like climbing stairs or the bridge breaking in KQ2.
Yeah - see, I thought KQ5 was oddly design too. And I can't place why. At least with the bridge in KQ2, you quickly get a clue that you can only cross so many times.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I love them all in their unique and quirky way - of the ones I played and finished at least. I didn't finish KQ4 due to the troll maze, never got too far in KQ1 and in MOE I don't even think I got out of the starting zone.

Of the ones I played I think KQ6 is the most sound, both in design and in the whole lookee-feelie zone.
Oddly I do prefer the DOS graphics over the Windows ones.
The others are more hit and miss - of the ones I played I doubt I'll pick KQ5 to play again soon but its graphics and music are gorgeous.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:48 pm I love them all in their unique and quirky way - of the ones I played and finished at least. I didn't finish KQ4 due to the troll maze, never got too far in KQ1 and in MOE I don't even think I got out of the starting zone.

Of the ones I played I think KQ6 is the most sound, both in design and in the whole lookee-feelie zone.
Oddly I do prefer the DOS graphics over the Windows ones.
The others are more hit and miss - of the ones I played I doubt I'll pick KQ5 to play again soon but its graphics and music are gorgeous.
Is it because of Cedric (KQ5 remark)? :D

And if you need help with the troll maze (make sure you have something to light your way and leave if you hear the troll)... I would be glad to help! I've played KQ4 quite a bit. :D
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Cedric is bad but I'd rather listen to Cedric than Yoko.
Thanks for your help with the troll maze! He got me too much on my nerves :)
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:23 am Cedric is bad but I'd rather listen to Cedric than Yoko.
If you ever wanna pass it and still have the save game just before the troll maze - upload it here (or DM it to me); I will do it - and upload the save after the maze. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:23 am Cedric is bad but I'd rather listen to Cedric than Yoko.
Yoko Who? :)

Every time I hear Cedric warn me not to go somewhere or not to do something, I'm always reminded of this. "Oh no, don't go in there..." ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:49 pm
Yoko Who? :)
If I were a betting man, and I am not, but I would still bet she means Yoko Ono. She's the only Yoko I am aware of.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Here's a little reminder for Rath:
viewtopic.php?p=71530#p71530
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Sure, I'm aware of Yoko Ono. (I was only joshing, hence the smiley). ;)

Unfortunately, Yoko's music from the late 60s and early 70s became almost unlistenable for me. Naturally, she’s polarizing because of her personal life, politics, and stewardship of John Lennon’s legacy.

Beyond that, though, she’s divisive because so much of her music sounds unrecognizable to what the Beatles did before she came along. Their music was mostly tonal; her music was atonal. She was the Berg or Schoenberg to the Beatles' Mozart or Vivaldi. ;)

I hope I've judged it right (or almost)? I'm only an amateur musicologist, after all. BBP is the expert. :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I find that offensive to Berg or Schoenberg.:D

I can talk about the 2nd Viennese School for hours, but let me concise it for you: Berg, Schönberg and Webern knew what they were doing. Ono doesn't.

If you want to break the rules effectively, you have to know what the rules are and why the rules are there.

It's a shame our little music thread was merged back then, since it drew all the sense and energy out of me to do even one more thing about it - and I would have loved to talk about 20th century music in there.
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:14 am It's a shame our little music thread was merged back then, since it drew all the sense and energy out of me to do even one more thing about it - and I would have loved to talk about 20th century music in there.
This is like the third time ye've mentioned a music thread being merged and it stabs me every time, because if it was merged, it was by me.

So I did some searching. I see you post heavy in the Music Mood thread: viewtopic.php?p=78669#p78669

Is that the one?

When and where was it merged? I can undo it, rather than the constant reminder of my evil. :D

Also feel free to start a new thread with a note to me in the first post not to merge it. :D

Return to “The King's Quest Series”