Favorite of the Series?

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Favorite of the Series?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:14 am I find that offensive to Berg or Schoenberg.:D

I can talk about the 2nd Viennese School for hours, but let me concise it for you: Berg, Schönberg and Webern knew what they were doing. Ono doesn't.

If you want to break the rules effectively, you have to know what the rules are and why the rules are there.

It's a shame our little music thread was merged back then, since it drew all the sense and energy out of me to do even one more thing about it - and I would have loved to talk about 20th century music in there.
Please do! :) I'd love to learn more about Berg, Schönberg and Webern. (Sorry to compare them to Ono - I'll know better next time).

I do know that when they performed their music for the first time, it was widely panned. But that's not unusual to them; Beethoven's music was booed (especially his original Mass in C Major - a beautiful work - which he, unfortunately, decided to include along with TWO major symphonies and other things, so the whole concert went on for hours ... and it was the depth of winter ... so audiences almost froze listening to him). Bach was almost completely forgotten for 150 years after he died, until Mendelssohn and others brought him back. Mozart was buried in a pauper's grave, etc., etc.

Want more modern examples? Guns 'n Roses are notorious for this. Heck, even Weird Al Yankovic was booed off stage more than once ... IIRC, on one occasion, because he was opening for the Monkees, and Monkees fans were getting impatient. :P

I think I remember reading that Berg, Schönberg and Webern wrote works for unusual instruments, like farm tractors? Is that right? :? Again, it's not unique to them. IIRC, one Soviet composer wrote a "Proletariat Symphony" (I think???) that made use of factory instruments for percussion. Do you know who I mean? :)

*looks it up* Ah, found it! :D Arseny Avraamov's "Symphony of Sirens". :shock:

Anyway, sorry to rabbit on and on like this. Please feel free to share. :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Yeah I asked and you partially did but at any rate I don't have the time for the shenanigans at the moment, may do more of that later.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK, no problem. I look forward to hearing your expert opinions. *smile*

Return to “The King's Quest Series”