A New More Frustrating Game?

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

A New More Frustrating Game?

Post by Tawmis »

We all hail Codename: Iceman as frustrating (those of us with dark enough souls to play Lighthouse, scoff at the idea that Codename: Iceman is the most frustrating)... Well, I would like to put a new name in the hat.

King's Quest III.

So when I first started my channel, I started with King's Quest. As such, my videos were shabby as I tried to get a good resolution for putting it on a Youtube channel.

So between rendering of GK2 and GK3, I replayed KQ1 and KQ2.

So when I need a break from The Black Cauldron (that will get it's own post in a moment!) - I've been trying to make my way through King's Quest III. Perhaps the frustration from The Black Cauldron is carrying over - but, my lawd, I've gained new hatred for this game. At least while stuck as the prisoner's slave and having that time clock ticking away. Some of the random things you need to wait to happen (feather falling from eagle, the soup in the bear's cabin, etc) - just make racing against the clock atrocious. And the path down - not so bad coming down - but going up - there's a large rock that purposely blocks the path from the person playing that makes it extra difficult to know when to turn upward.

Hades, this game makes my blood boil.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: A New More Frustrating Game?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

This might help. (Or not). ;)

I wish I could do something with MS Paint, but I don't have any experience with either Paint or any others (e.g. Photoshop etc.) *shrug* Oh well.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:44 pm This might help. (Or not). ;)

I wish I could do something with MS Paint, but I don't have any experience with either Paint or any others (e.g. Photoshop etc.) *shrug* Oh well.
Hah - it's the stone to the right (of where he's falling) that vexes me.
As for MS PAINT, it's extremely basic. But that's half the fun of it. A year ago, I was in a D&D Campaign called "Out of the Abyss" - and would do segments that happened in MS PAINT, for the sheer fun of how bad and silly the art was.
http://neverendingnights.com/archives/3938
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Here Tawm, some music to ease you...
https://youtu.be/5XP5RP6OEJI
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:44 am Here Tawm, some music to ease you...
https://youtu.be/5XP5RP6OEJI
The intensity of how that song starts... lol... that would not be relaxing during King's Quest III. :D
But I can see how it has a Heavy Metal feel because of the speed. :D
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

hahahaha that's the "menacing" music from KQ3, didn't you notice?
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:47 pm hahahaha that's the "menacing" music from KQ3, didn't you notice?
Is it? :D I gotta admit, I have the volume down when playing KQ3 (as well as KQ1 and KQ2) - or any of the Sierra games with "beeps"...

Where can this "music" (in the form of beeps) be heard in KQ3?

(I am currently on the pirate ship, but will restore anywhere before to catch this!) :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hey! :D I don't know KQ3 all that well, and I'm not a classical expert like BBP, but even I know Schubert's Der Erlkönig. :D

(One reason may be because the lyrics are so very sinister. :twisted: Also, I'm a baritone-bass. Now inspired to try learning this. ;) Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau is a legend) :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Ugh - KQ3 is full of so much "wait and wait" - with the Wizard... in the pirate ship (waiting for anchor)...

Yeesh.

And then the invisibility ointment. Found an interesting "bug" where if you say "use invisibility ointment" it says "How can you use what you don't have?"

Had to type something like "rub ointment on self" or something...
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

This thread goes over Sierra game speedrunning and KQ3 is kind of notorious because of all of the points where you have to wait.

I also thought there was an easier way to get up to the house without having to use the mountain path. I think one way is using the eagle feather/fly wings to turn yourself so you can fly up. But that means wasting some of the potion you need later. I think you can do it once. I think another way was using the teleportation crystal, but that is random so it might take a while.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:13 pm This thread goes over Sierra game speedrunning and KQ3 is kind of notorious because of all of the points where you have to wait.

I also thought there was an easier way to get up to the house without having to use the mountain path. I think one way is using the eagle feather/fly wings to turn yourself so you can fly up. But that means wasting some of the potion you need later. I think you can do it once. I think another way was using the teleportation crystal, but that is random so it might take a while.
So I was thinking about that - the game doesn't require the teleportation.

It's annoying that the magic map doesn't teleport you to the house when you click on the house - always at the base of the path.

Why would Manahanana have a map that he has to walk up the path? (Although he may just teleport as he does around the house).

I "rationalize" it that he has a barrier around his house preventing you from teleporting onto his property. But it'd be great if there was dialogue that said that before placing you at the base of the path.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Among others when you're caught by the bandits in their lair and when Medusa pops up.
17:10 in this one:
https://youtu.be/A6ug6ty9Ab0
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:44 pm Now inspired to try learning this. ;)
Be sure to let me hear a recording of it when you do!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:19 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:44 pm Now inspired to try learning this. ;)
Be sure to let me hear a recording of it when you do!
Hmm - that's the problem - it's harder to do this, since I don't play the piano. So when I rehearse it, I can never be certain if I'm doing it right. *shrug*

Any ideas about accompaniment? :)

Return to “The King's Quest Series”