[2023] The time to guess is at hand!

"MASQ Of Eternity" is our traditional Halloween event. It's essentially a "Virtual Masquerade." Please see the FAQ in the forum.
*The Butler
Masquerade

[2023] The time to guess is at hand!

Post by *The Butler »

Please make guesses as your regular self as I am about to disable the MASQ accounts!

And to add spice because there are so few people this time - please LIE about your MASQ in the guessing!

For example, I might say: "I think the Butler is DeadpoolX............"

Even though, clearly I know I am the Butler.

This will throw off anyone who might try to sneak a peek at the spoilers where it says "The Butler is ............me..........." for example! :)

I will leave the other 2023 MASQ threads open until everyone's made their guesses. :)

Please remember to use the SPOILER tags when making your guesses so you don't ruin it for anyone else!

I also recommend adding "....." at the end of the person's true name so the spoiler tags look longer than the names! That way it doesn't make it too easy for others to guess without actually checking spoilers!

So for example rather than say "I think The Butler is Tawmis"

You'd say "I think The Butler is Tawmis........"

Also reveal who you are in Spoilers, so when you post guessing others - it's not easy to see, "Hey Tawmis didn't guess who the Butler was! He must be the Butler!"

So for example I would do:

MASQ01 was BBP.....................
MASQ02 was none other than me!
MASQ03 was clearly Jules
MASQ04 Was probably notbobsmith because of how he answered Question01
MASQ05 must be Rath, as the last person!

Also if someone guesses who you are put the Correct or Incorrect in spoilers so it doesn't sway someone else's guess unless they want to see the spoiler.

Feel free to put the "justification" for your guesses in the spoiler, when you're guessing for extra points and fun!

The MASQs were:

*Cotera
*Miss Chief
*Pokey
*Swedish Chef
*TechNoMix
*Turbo Encabulator

When guessing also feel free to include how you came to that guess in the spoiler!

The people wearing MASQs were:

Wait - let's do this different this year.

I am not going to list who participated.

And I will say - at least ONE was a red herring - as in, it was me.

BUT.

MORE than one COULD be a red herring (as in, it could be me).

Was it just you?

And the REST were me?

Posing as red herrings?

You will have to figure it out...

Do any sound like Collector... or BBP... or Rath... or NotBobSmith... or goatmeal or... Semi-Happy Partygoer... or DPX... or Qbix... or...?

You figure it out based on how they responded to things.

So - can you discover which of these GUESTS are behind the MASQs?

Feel free to begin guessing in this thread using the rules stated (in regards to using SPOILER tags and ensuring you put ".........." in front or behind or both, next to each guess so it's not easy to tell by the size of the spoiler space for others!)

And to add spice - feel free to LIE about your MASQ!

For example, I might say: "I think the Butler is DeadpoolX............"

Even though, clearly I know I am the Butler.

This will throw off anyone who might try to sneak a peek at the spoilers where it says "The Butler is ............me..........." for example! :)

I will lock the other 2023 MASQ threads now!
Mrs. White, you've been paying our friend, the blackmailer, ever since your husband died under, shall we say, mysterious circumstances?
BBP
Village Elder

Re: [2023] The time to guess is at hand!

Post by BBP »

I think Cotera was Qbix because he is fan of the source material - or maybe MI
I would bet on Turbo Encabulator to be NBS because he made the butcher baker candlestick maker costume joke twice before.
Technomix I have either red herring or Qbix (because of the rhyme)
Swedish Chef - I guess Rath
I think Pokey and Miss Chief may be red herring accounts.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I think that ... hmm:

1. Cotera is ... BBP. =) Because she offered to have my outfit become Mrs Peacock's outfit (from Clue), and BBP is a big fan of Clue.

2. I'm pretty sure that Turbo Encabulator is NBS because he's very much into engineering and sci-fi, and a real 'Turbo Encabulator' is a 40s engineering joke

3. I've no idea who Technomix was

4. Swedish Chef was Tawm, obviously! =)

5. And Pokey and Miss Chief were ... *drumroll* ME! =D But playing a red herring.

Thanks for organising this, Tawm! It was fun. :D

Just wondering: I think I remember us playing a "Kill and heal another character" game in previous MASQs. Were there simply too few people this time around?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:30 pm Just wondering: I think I remember us playing a "Kill and heal another character" game in previous MASQs. Were there simply too few people this time around?
I think that game was fun, but better with more people and people who frequent the forums frequently to keep the game moving.

It's also one of the pain in the rump games, because I always need to change the password of the killer account created, and send that to the new killer. lol
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Like Rath said, thank you for organizing this. Now... on to the guesses:

*Cotera = I think this is BBP. Mainly out of process of elimination. I think most of the others were red herrings from Tawmis.
*Miss Chief = Red herring from Tawmis.
*Pokey = DeadpoolX, maybe?
*Swedish Chef = Rath. Given the frequency of the posts.
*TechNoMix = Red herring from Tawmis
*Turbo Encabulator = Red herring from Tawmis.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Heh. Unmasking myself. Others can officially unmask now as well.

*Miss Chief - Red Herring from me. The Halo reference was because my first real console was an XBOX and Halo, back then was solely for the XBOX. My original reason for wanting the XBOX was because Toejam and Earl III was exclusive to XBOX. But I figured if I did Toejam and Earl, it'd be too obvious. So I figured I'd use Halo. When I found a female Halo avatar, I used that to try to throw off the scent. It didn't work out so well. :D Eons ago me talking about the XBOX and HALO... viewtopic.php?p=20451#p20451 In the letter game "Z is for zebra" is a reference to the famous San Diego Zoo, and I live in San Diego.

*Pokey - Red Herring from me. I grew up on Gumby & Pokey and have probably shared my story about the one time my family left them in the sand, when I was a kid, and we drove off without them... viewtopic.php?p=73320#p73320 . In the truth things like "D for dogs" is a reference to Odin, Moxie or Penny Lane. In the letter's game "v is for victory" - there was a cassette I purchased while in Spain of a heavy metal band called "Victory" - I'd never heard of them before (or any of their songs) and bought it on a whim and enjoyed it. Fun bit, when it landed on "n" in the letter's game I did "n is for nevermore" which I'd also used for the TechNoMix account - indicating it's the same person. But this should be the biggest clue it was me "h is for hobbit" in the letters game.

*TechNoMix - Red Herring from me. The image is actually from the latest Street Fighter game. One of the big clues this was a red herring is when I asked if they were looking for elves in Poughkeepsie (viewtopic.php?p=97240#p97240) - this was a reference to ElfQuest. Wendy and Richard Pini started ElfQuest while living in Poughkeepsie. And if you google "Poughkeepsie elves" - on the first page, if you scroll down you will find a Forbes article about 40 years of ElfQuest. In the truth about letters "N is for nevermore" - the Nevermore is actually a reference to the band "Nevermore" which I've mentioned quite a bit on here. In the letters game I also gave a big clue "T is for toe jam" in reference to Toejam and Earl. I also said "C is for children's toys" - which if you've seen my office, it's wall to wall figures, and shelves of Star Wars LEGO.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:30 pm Thanks for organising this, Tawm! It was fun. :D
notbobsmith wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:22 pm Like Rath said, thank you for organizing this.
BBP gets all the credit for organizing this.
She was the one who reminded me about October approaching and the MASQ.
So tip o' the hat to our beloved BBP for reminding me to set up the games!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK ... that's Miss Chief, Pokey and TechNoMix figured out. Now let's unmask ourselves! :D

Swedish Chef was me. I didn't leave too many obvious clues around, but BBP and NBS got me anyway (NBS remarked on the frequency of my posts). BBP, why did you think I was the Swedish Chef? Just curious.

I always enjoyed The Muppets, and in recent months, I started watching the Swedish Chef. I liked his 'nonsense talk' and tried to replicate it. I hope I did well. :)

And apropos of nothing, here's a song I wrote for the MASQ! :D I'll put it in spoiler tags, since having it in the open would immediately give my identity away. Hope you enjoy it! :)

The MASQ Song
(to the tune of "The Muppet Show" Theme ...
which you can see here)

*orchestra plays the starting tune; women's chorus strides in*

WOMEN'S CHORUS:
It's time to be pretendin',
To put on a disguise --
So then, when we remove it
it'll be a big surprise!

*men's chorus strides in*

MEN'S CHORUS:
It's time to play with weapons,
Time to upset the cook;
There's always fun to find here
if you know jus' where to look.

PLAYER #1:
Why don't we always come here?

PLAYER #2:
I thought you'd never ask.

PLAYER #1:
There's fun and good companions --

BOTH:
-- When you are in the MASQ!

(Animal plays the drums; orchestra joins in)

PLAYER #1:
But now let's get things started!

EVERYONE:
Why don't you get things started?

TAWMIS:
It's time to get it started --

EVERYONE:
On the most phenomenal,
Not abdominal,
Quite prenominal,
Never nominal --

That is what the MASQ is all about!!

(The Butler rings a gong for dinner!) :D
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Hahahaha love that song Rath!

Rath - I guess it was the "feel" of the posts in combination with knowing there would probably be just NBS, you, me, and Tawm's red herring accounts. Swedish Shef and Turbo Encobobulator were the most frequent posters.

When time for the Masq came up, I got to thinking of a character that wouldn't be as guessable as some of the other ones I've been over the years, like Cornfed or Mrs White. I decided to pick a character from Zelda. I have played bits from some of the games and became an instant fan of the over-the-top great fairies in Breath Of The Wild and Tears Of The Kingdom.

In retrospect what gave me away is some of my lingual errors. I deliberately stayed away from hinting too clearly about Frank Zappa - instead I started off with terms from my current addiction DemonCrawl (Elysium and Swamp) , my "pet lobster" (Leon), Donkey Kong, LSL (Faith), Toonstruck, NeverEnding Story (the book that is - very useful for names starting with Q or X), my favourite hobby sleeping, and some other fondnesses I haven't mentioned here. On the Alphabet Game, when I was about to post the F while trying to think "it's about me and not Frank Zappa, I posted, along with the large purple printed key signature F Sharp (famous song to you in F-Sharp is the Bogeyman Theme from KQ7), there is some small print that says Fukai, a Dir en Grey song (it's very catchy, the chorus goes Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai shita imasu). I also posted Banner with a picture of banner decoration, butI referred to Bernadette Banner. I did the same with dragons and dragonfruit.

I like playing around in MASQ a lot - which involves actually using the costume. Cotera enabled me to do that. I had great fun being her.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yes, I had a feeling Cotera would be you. :) I roleplayed as the Swedish Chef, and I'm sorry he didn't use Cotera's services, but I thought he wouldn't see the point of dressing up as something else. He would be børk børk børked. ;)

Oh, wait - almost forgot:

*music starts up again*

Kermit:
To introduce our guest star,
That's what I'm here to do
So it really makes me happy
to introduce to you:

Tawmis, as Miss Chief, Pokey and TechNoMix! Yaaaay! :D
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

An you were both correct with me as Turbo Encabulator. I first found a Youtube video about it from a few years ago and I thought it was great. The guy just spouting gibberish with a straight face is just hilarious. It wasn't until later that I found out that this has been an inside joke for engineers since the 1940s.

Cute song Rath. :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I tried to be clever and quote myself as a rule breaker: viewtopic.php?p=96866#p96866

The character Kavium - is an NPC in my D&D Campaign: viewtopic.php?p=97046#p97046 (you can read on him on my site: http://tawmis.com/kneurth/campaign-refe ... es-and-npc )

I am currently re-reading the Lloyd Alexander books (and on the first book, Book of Three) - and noted a character from the book (viewtopic.php?p=97181#p97181) and noticed Cortera mentioned a character from the series as well (viewtopic.php?p=97353#p97353), I assume (could be a character from another series)

viewtopic.php?p=97172#p97172 Dwayne Taylor is Night Thrasher, leader of the New Warriors and I run http://www.newwarriors.com

Adam Neramani is Adam-X, my favorite Marvel character, and I have a site dedicated to him off my tawmis site - http://www.tawmis.com/xtreme/

I even tried to throw off the scent with TechNoMix by mentioning my posts were being deleted, as potentially being Rath. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:30 pm
Rath - I guess it was the "feel" of the posts in combination with knowing there would probably be just NBS, you, me, and Tawm's red herring accounts. Swedish Shef and Turbo Encobobulator were the most frequent posters.
Heh - see, I tried to keep the post count down for the red herrings, because I thought, "I am always on the forum. If I post too much they will know it's me." :D

Return to “MASQ Of Eternity”