Started a high-res re-texturing project of GK3

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Started a high-res re-texturing project of GK3

Post by Collector »

The Sydney bug is a long standing bug from running the game at higher resolutions than the engine was designed for. I fail to see how a reskining project could trigger it. It happens with the original textures, too.
Spikey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:12 pm Speaking of Bink vids, I have NO idea how to convert upscaled videos back to BNK and make the game play them, even with the official Rad Video tools. I tried replacing that old bnkw32 DLL file with a modern one, and it DOES actually make the game play any vid I throw at it, but only for a few mili seconds, but then it just... stops. Suggestions are more than welcome. If I do figure it out I will report back here of course.
RAD Game Tools
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

Yeah, this is what I am using... to no avail.
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

Okay, thought that the clothes didn't need upgrading and was afraid that it would increase visual tearing in the models, but the hemline on Gabriel's shirt is an eyesore to me when everything else looks so smooth. Going to attempt and upgrade all the clothes of everyone and put it in a seperate package so people can choose if they want to try that.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

This thread is awesome :D

I recall someone already started on a high-res texture project - I remember because that guy made me test it (plus another pack he had where he changed the artworks, a bit like you were doing there Tawm :D ) . Unfortunately that person abandoned his project.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Hey, BBP, did you try the launcher I posted earlier to see if it works on any of your newer machines? It might determine if I'll do a new version of the installer.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Not yet, thing is I'm beyond busy - especially now Dad's in hospital again and St Nicholas is approaching - I hope he'll be home in time...
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

Sorry to hear that Bonny, I wish you and your family much strength.

Played through the entire game in much more detail now, there are a few details that I'd like to fix before a new release.
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

Alright, most problems encountered in my detailed run through are now fixed, among which;
1. The sky/environment textures of Orange Rock are now upgraded, I overlooked them
2. Cleaned up a lot of stray pixels in transparent textures
3. The desk shown from Larry's doorway is now correctly transparent
4. Cleaned up the flowers in the lobby a bit, they looked weird without Voodoo and lighting on high

High res pack version 2;
https://mega.nz/file/A3owCa5S#yYkgA2XAq ... c72Nue8vBg

Here is the promised pack for the clothes; note: still have to actually test some of them, among them Montreaux and Simone, but I don't expect any troubles.

High res clothes upgrade;
https://mega.nz/file/Qu5T3SyS#6c6ZYNbFP ... _dGAfgc1do

Here is a small pack of two textures which fundamentally changes the way Room 25 and Abbé Arnaud's Office wallpapers look. If you are like me and like to look around at details a lot, these two textures simply don't make sense when they are upgraded and looked at in detail even when upscaled - they are fugly as all get out. I just made them more pretty, but purists won't like that I think, so they are optional. Just drop these in these folder after installing and overwrite files when asked.

Wallpaper upgrade
https://mega.nz/file/F3RiyagJ#itjZizFfq ... 9eZbCCTfHY

(left - new texture, right - old texture)
R25compare.png
Offcompare.png

Last but not least, if you want Gabriel to wear the green or yellow shirt on day 2, drop the corresponding files in the folder and overwrite. Note that you will have to overlook the BNK video late at night when Grace goes from her date with Wilkes to Mosely's room, where Gabriel wears the white dirty shirt. He does have plenty of time to change into that of course for whatever reason, but he'll be back in either yellow or green at Day 3 2AM before reverting to the clean white shirt for the rest of day 3.

Yellow Shirt

https://mega.nz/file/orAjmAjB#4Yy7MiiZG ... gVyV-qRUjA

Green Shirt

https://mega.nz/file/QvxU3RDa#ZfunHtTIM ... S_qXKAAiU
green.png
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Do these all just unpack into the same folder we've created (for example I called mine "hirez") :D
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

Yeah, they do - just drop everything you want in it - make sure you delete all the files in the old folder first to make sure there are the least stray files as possible.
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

Tested it on a few of the scrapheaps I have lying around, the texture upgrades mostly affect loading times going from screen to screen, but nothing too bad so far. If on a gaming rig (mine is a RTX 4080 / i7 core) you will notice no difference. Tomorrow I'll be on a plane for a few hours and will be able to test it on my old Windows Surface Tablet that I set up as a mobile gaming device a few years back.
fhmutairi
Noob

Post by fhmutairi »

It's a very interesting thread and great work, I came across it on a Steam discussion,

I definitely want to try this new high-res texturing project,

However, I've been having problems running the game on my Surface Pro 7, I tried setting compatibility back to Windows Visa, but I still get the game crashing at random places. When I tried the high-res texturing (after creating my own folder inside GK3 and creating the .ini file, I started getting a new error Fatal Exception.

Could anyone please help? I've been dying to finish the game off as I didn't when it was released back in the day,
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

fhmutairi wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:46 pm It's a very interesting thread and great work, I came across it on a Steam discussion,

I definitely want to try this new high-res texturing project,

However, I've been having problems running the game on my Surface Pro 7, I tried setting compatibility back to Windows Visa, but I still get the game crashing at random places. When I tried the high-res texturing (after creating my own folder inside GK3 and creating the .ini file, I started getting a new error Fatal Exception.

Could anyone please help? I've been dying to finish the game off as I didn't when it was released back in the day,
With the Surface Pro, I don't have any experience messing with that. But I wonder if ScummVM might help?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Does Hirez Pack v2 (here - viewtopic.php?p=97737#p97737 ) replace the one here (viewtopic.php?p=97694#p97694) - i.e., same files just updated?
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:29 pm Does Hirez Pack v2 (here - viewtopic.php?p=97737#p97737 ) replace the one here (viewtopic.php?p=97694#p97694) - i.e., same files just updated?

Yeah, just replace it completely, remove the old folder.

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”