Youtube - Fighting Games.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Youtube - Fighting Games.

Post by Tawmis »

This was a pretty cool look at some of the fighting game history.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Youtube - Fighting Games.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Funny you should bring this up, Tawm. I just noticed that Steam are having a sale ... on Mortal Kombat 1. :P

MK1 on Steam

Sheesh. I'm old enough to still remember playing Mortal Kombat 1 -- back in the days of a four-armed Goro, and when the Big Bad was Sheng Tung. With VGA graphics, no less! :D

(*gasp* Whatta deal!) ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:15 pm Funny you should bring this up, Tawm. I just noticed that Steam are having a sale ... on Mortal Kombat 1. :P
MK1 on Steam
Sheesh. I'm old enough to still remember playing Mortal Kombat 1 -- back in the days of a four-armed Goro, and when the Big Bad was Sheng Tung. With VGA graphics, no less! :D
(*gasp* Whatta deal!) ;)
Yeah, that's the new MK1. MK1 rebooted their timeline after MK11 (the story sets up the universe rebooting).

But yes, I remember MK1 in the arcade. :)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:38 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:15 pm Funny you should bring this up, Tawm. I just noticed that Steam are having a sale ... on Mortal Kombat 1. :P
MK1 on Steam
(*gasp* Whatta deal!) ;)
Yeah, that's the new MK1. MK1 rebooted their timeline after MK11 (the story sets up the universe rebooting).

But yes, I remember MK1 in the arcade. :)
You know... I completely understand why Rath would get confused on the name, but what throws me is he actually linked to MK1's store page on Steam! That means he must've at least glanced at the game and you'd think the graphics alone would be an indicator that this isn't the original Mortal Kombat released in 1992. :lol:
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

DPX, I wasn't confused by the name. I just noticed it on Steam, and thought: "Let's have a look and see how it differs from the original."

Yes, I know it's not the original MK1. (Yes, the graphics alone are a giveaway). :) I only mentioned this game, because I remember playing the 1992 version. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I was genuinely surprised Killer Instinct didn't get it's own mention - because it was direct competition against Mortal Kombat during that time (I mean nothing really competes with MK, back then) - but if MK had 50 quarters of players waiting - you definitely went to play Killer Instinct, which also had a line.

Soul Calibur / Soul Edge should have also gotten a mention.

Primal Rage would have also been a nice surprise to mention, because of how the game was made, and how it too was violent, and very different (being it was dinosaurs). So I feel like that could have definitely been mentioned.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm ... if we widen somewhat the definition of "fighting games" to include "beat 'em ups", then how about games like Karateka, Double Dragon and Golden Axe? I thought they were simpler, less gory, and more fun than games like Mortal Kombat 1.

Of course, I might be talking rubbish. In that case, don't mind me. :)

===================

On another point, I haven't seen the "Chun Li" movie. But the narrator says that "We don't talk about that". Was it that bad? :?

I tried watching the made-in-the-90s "Street Fighter" and "Mortal Kombat" movies, and they were ....... well, forgettable. :roll:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:04 am Hmm ... if we widen somewhat the definition of "fighting games" to include "beat 'em ups", then how about games like Karateka, Double Dragon and Golden Axe? I thought they were simpler, less gory, and more fun than games like Mortal Kombat 1.
Of course, I might be talking rubbish. In that case, don't mind me. :)
On another point, I haven't seen the "Chun Li" movie. But the narrator says that "We don't talk about that". Was it that bad? :?
I tried watching the made-in-the-90s "Street Fighter" and "Mortal Kombat" movies, and they were ....... well, forgettable. :roll:
Yea fighting games tend to be "vs" type games.
Golden Axe, Double Dragon, etc., are more side scroll hack and slash (or punch and kick, in the case of Double Dragon) :)

I did not care for the Street Fighter movie. I didn't... mind, the original Mortal Kombat movie, the sequel is worse.
But the new Mortal Kombat movie from 2021 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_(2021_film)) was exceptionally well done, especially for a MK movie. Wasn't award winning - but truly has some good acting by quite a few of the cast.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:04 am I tried watching the made-in-the-90s "Street Fighter" and "Mortal Kombat" movies, and they were ....... well, forgettable. :roll:
Tawmis wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:09 pm I did not care for the Street Fighter movie. I didn't... mind, the original Mortal Kombat movie, the sequel is worse.
I've only caught some of the Street Fighter movie, but I thought it entered so-bad-it's-good territory.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”