notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
I was not a fan of Willy Beamish.
We are aligned.
As I said in the video, I'd probably never play this game again.
Other than, when I want to do "Walk Through Videos" rather than "Play Through Videos" - but for the Walk Through Videos, I'd be using a walk through so it's actually useful.
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
The game itself was frustrating, as you pointed out. Lots of places where you have a few seconds to get out of a situation, try something, fail, and do over again. And lots of red herrings you end up having to try. I can only image how much more frustrating this must have been when playing on 1992 hardware.
I felt like the fire ants on the security guard was the solution - and it actually did something... but doesn't actually work.
So there were times, like that, where I was looking at things in my inventory I hadn't used yet, to try and use.
Same thing with the "gang" - I tried to throw the fire ants at them, but it doesn't even do anything, but return to the bottom left screen.
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
6:20 I looked at a walkthrough. Apparently, tucking you sister in a night will lower the meter.
Ah, I don't even know when that opportunity appeared? Unless I missed it in my play through.
Still feel like feeding the dog and walking the dog should also lower it, as should the time you play with your sister in the backyard.
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
7:20 I've played games from Sierra, Lucasarts, and Tsunami, and for some reason Dynamix games have the most baffling difficult interface out of all of them. I probably mentioned before how everyone who has ever played Rise of the Dragon has left without their clothes on. And figuring out how to dress is not obvious either.
Yeah, I am not a fan of the interface - or even, what one might call a lack of an interface.
The fact that there isn't responses to items trying to be used is also frustrating... because, like the whole putting the frog on the hopscoth needs to be on a very specific spot... dialogue would help... like the time I wasted trying to give the man near the fountain my money... or when I tried to throw the fire ants at the gang... how hard would it have been to put up a window, "That doesn't work like that" or something?
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
~23:00 The only place where I got stuck is the mansion near the end.
I needed to put the tablecloth near the suit of armor, not click on it. <groan>
Yeah that had me also. Well, first couple of times, I thought I was just clicking in the wrong place (again, similar to trying to put the frog on the hop scotch thing) - so I tried a few times clicking around the hand. Then when I got the blanket, I thought I had to wrap it AROUND the glove, and then he threw it on the floor?!? And HOW does a blanket silence armor collapsing like that? That's.... that's not even possible.
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
26:45 I never saw The Lost Boys, so I didn't catch the reference. The whole sequence is odd. And it ends up being all a dream, I guess? A vampire is abit out of the blue, but then Willy does talk to the ghost of his grandfather.
You've never seen LOST BOYS?!?!??!
I highly recommend it. Great vampire movie. Very fun too.
And yeah, I can't imagine it's a dream, or else why would the game end when she carries you away? I feel like you'd just wake up.
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
43:00 Was that Moxie May?
Hahahahahhaha! I had not caught that that she made it in the recording. Yes, that was her, then Penny Lane barking in the background.
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
~45:00 I remember using the hairspray on the bat-babysitter. Looking at a walkthrough, I guess the fire ants are a red herring.
?!?!? When do you use the hair spray on the bat-babysitter? I had thought it was going to be hairspray + a lighter (because that was a big thing in the 80s)...
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
47:00 Again, from a walkthough, the hypnotism phrase is in the manual. I'm not sure what "Hoopa Coiler Agamemnon" is supposed to mean.
OK, so that's on me for not reading the manual.
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
57:00 It is kind of odd that the solution to the problem is the fact that you just so happen to have a winning lottery ticket.
Yes. Freaking stupid. Because there's time Willy reaches "The End" and things don't go well and indicate you're essentially homeless ... but you would have won 40 million still because that Lotto ticket is gotten pretty early on...
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Thu Sep 11, 2025 12:35 am
I'm still puzzled that the factory turns sewage into artificial sweetener, but nothing is really done with it. It's not a secret so there's no point where it is revealed and people are horrified, and as a joke they don't really do anything with it. It just... is. Kind of like this game.
That's this game for ya, as you said....