Anyone with Facebook here?

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
BBP
Village Elder

Anyone with Facebook here?

Post by BBP »

There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Re: Anyone with Facebook here?

Post by AndreaDraco »

You may noticed that I've replied to Eriq. I did not post here because there's nothing to report, really... But, yes: I'm very excited! :D
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

Ditto, I'm all hyped up over this one. Everything seems to indicate it's the real deal. I sure hope we won't get disappointed, but it's hard not to be excited.
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I am confused. Phoenix Studios doing it?
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Apparently.
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

Tawmis wrote:I am confused. Phoenix Studios doing it?
Activision knows their work and knows they are big Sierra fans. Also, Phoenix is probably the cheapest. I doubt Activision would put a big budget in the first adventure game they'd have developed since... well... forever. Also, it's a fact that Jane has contacted them at least once, having a long discussion with the TSL director a few weeks ago. Whether they discused a new Gabriel Knight is not known though.
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
El Ravager
Sierra Obsessed

Post by El Ravager »

Hmm...in that case, I'm not sure quite how I feel about it. On the one hand, I'm finding TSL fairly entertaining overall. The graphics are beautiful, the soundtrack is nice, the interface is pretty faithful to classic KQ, and it just overall "feels" like a classic adventure game.

On the other hand, TSL's voice acting is hit-or-miss and the writing is, IMO, just atrocious. There's altogether too much fanwankery incorporated into the game (for example, the many irrelevant dialogue scenes that are as badly-written as they are long-winded). Also, the game is very buggy; I finally solved my Ep. 1-2 woes with a quick recalibration of the game resolution, but the game immediately crashes whenever I start Ep. 3.

So, am I excited about this? Well...I'm trying not to get my hopes up. If the writing improves astronomically from the TSL paradigm, the fanwankery gets trimmed down considerably, and they use a less buggy gaming engine for this one, it might be pretty good. It would be nice to see the GK3 cliffhanger resolved...but only if it's done well. And at this point, I'm not sure that's something that Phoenix can deliver.

(No offense intended to anyone who may have worked on TSL...as I said, I find the game to be very impressive overall. My major gripe is with the writing, which feels very fanficish. And the incessant crashes.)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Doing a King's Quest fan game is one thing... tackling something like Gabriel Knight is another matter entirely.

But I will reserve judgment till the game comes out.
El Ravager
Sierra Obsessed

Post by El Ravager »

Quite true. In my opinion, even Sierra only hit one of the three out of the park. The Beast Within could've been the show-stopper that Sins of the Fathers was, but IMO the clunky FMV interface bungles things up a little. And don't even get me started on GK3... :Furious:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

El Ravager wrote:Quite true. In my opinion, even Sierra only hit one of the three out of the park. The Beast Within could've been the show-stopper that Sins of the Fathers was, but IMO the clunky FMV interface bungles things up a little. And don't even get me started on GK3... :Furious:
I actually enjoyed all three of them. (Well except a certain incident with a certain cat to make a certain disguise...)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I hope this is real and not an elaborate fake. You never know with the Internet.

I'm not that thrilled with POS. I've seen their work on TSL and the graphics were revolting. Granted, for a fan-made project, it's a good looking game, but would fail terribly if commercially sold. That and the voice acting is really, really bad.

Why would Jane even go to POS? She has her own development studio.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Why would Jane even go to POS? She has her own development studio.
May have gone the other way with POS going to Jane, saying, "Look, here's what we did with The Silver Lining. Activation even gave us the thumbs up. If we can get Activition to give us the thumbs up to swing at GK, would you help?"

Her own production company would probably require that the software to be sold for profit, which Activision may frown upon.
DeadPoolX wrote: I'm not that thrilled with POS. I've seen their work on TSL and the graphics were revolting. Granted, for a fan-made project, it's a good looking game, but would fail terribly if commercially sold. That and the voice acting is really, really bad.
I wouldn't say the graphics are horrid... reminds me of the graphics of KQ5 (advanced a bit). Which, yes is dated, but I wouldn't say horrid.

The voice acting, well, I have commented previously about that on the TSL thread. Some were good, some were okay, some were bad.

If they want a genuine GK Lousiana Accent - they need to pick up Jule's man, Patrick. That dude, has a sexy voice. And I am straight and all, but I swear, he's got a great voice.
:lol:
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

To be honest if Jane doesn't write every single line of dialogue, I won't even look at this game. Gabriel Knight is Jane Jensen. Anyone thinking that they could a GK4 without her is starking mad.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote:To be honest if Jane doesn't write every single line of dialogue, I won't even look at this game. Gabriel Knight is Jane Jensen. Anyone thinking that they could a GK4 without her is starking mad.
Even if she gives her blessing on the project? She may not be able to do it because she's involved with making money to pay the bills. :)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote: Why would Jane even go to POS? She has her own development studio.
May have gone the other way with POS going to Jane, saying, "Look, here's what we did with The Silver Lining. Activation even gave us the thumbs up. If we can get Activition to give us the thumbs up to swing at GK, would you help?"

Her own production company would probably require that the software to be sold for profit, which Activision may frown upon.
How is that any different from POS? They'll want to sell it for profit with Activision as the publisher. Jane's company could do the same thing.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”