What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
gumby
Oldbie

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by gumby »

I'm playing Dragon's Lair Trilogy for the Wii. I never really played it in the arcade (wasted a few quarters). It's really been fun - and my kids love to watch me fail, over and over again, with unlimited lives :D .

So far, Dragon's Lair seems like the timing is off by a half-second (or maybe it's the interface, I don't know). But Dragon's Lair 2 seems to work fine, as does Space Ace.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

gumby wrote:I'm playing Dragon's Lair Trilogy for the Wii. I never really played it in the arcade (wasted a few quarters). It's really been fun - and my kids love to watch me fail, over and over again, with unlimited lives :D .

So far, Dragon's Lair seems like the timing is off by a half-second (or maybe it's the interface, I don't know). But Dragon's Lair 2 seems to work fine, as does Space Ace.
Is it all bundled together as a game? If so, how much?
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

Tawmis wrote:
gumby wrote:I'm playing Dragon's Lair Trilogy for the Wii. I never really played it in the arcade (wasted a few quarters). It's really been fun - and my kids love to watch me fail, over and over again, with unlimited lives :D .

Bundled together. Picked it up at Amazon for $30.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

gumby wrote:
Tawmis wrote:

Bundled together. Picked it up at Amazon for $30.
Adding that to Christmas list.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Collector wrote:
dotkel50 wrote:Playing Pharaoh/Cleopatra on my Vista 64 machine. It took a little tweaking, but it's working great.
Why don't you post what you had to do in the Impressions forum? Others might find it useful.
Done....viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1917
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Bought a shareware CD, and used it to fire up three games: Hugo's House Of Horror, Ladder Man III and Redhook's Revenge. Redhook may be the reason why I got into pirates, it's good solid fun. Hugo made me realize how rich games like LSL are: it's too bare-bones. I spent a good deal of time in the bedroom trying to pick up an unidentifyable object of which Hugo wouldn't say what it was. Later I got in the lab and got shrunk. I knew what to do, but not how to phrase it, and after five minutes of verb guessing I had had it, resorted to a walkthrough, discovered the GK1 scene was coming up and decided to stop playing.

It also has a text adventure building engine. Am considering making such a game.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Playing a demo of game called Gratuitous Space Battles. It's actually quite fun and has a good sense of humor. :)

It's not a traditional RTS in that there is no resource gathering at all and you don't directly control your ships. You act as an admiral and set up specific orders for your fleet to follow and the ships' captains carry out those orders the best they can. As with real war, situations rarely go as planned and it's up to the field commanders to make decisions on the fly.

Plus, the game was developed in such a way that it's exceptionally easy to mod. This was done on purpose. There are lots of Star Trek and Star Wars mods out there.

You do, however, get build them and decide which parts (armor, shields, weapons, etc) to use. Not all cruisers, frigates or fighters are good for every mission.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Hey Gumby, just re-read your post, and now I know why there was this bell ringing faintly in the back of my head at the flea market last Sunday. I managed to make my CD-i collection a little more complete, with some annoying platformer called Christmas Crisis and, hang on: Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp. I now possess two CD-i's with the phrase "time warp" in the title, and DL2 definitely has a number of jumps to the left. It's annoying having to start all over again every time, but it's also fun, and it looks amazing. Unfortunately this is one CD-i that requires a video cartridge, so I can't record myself yet

A more embarrassing addition to my collection is Strip Poker, which I gave to my father. Entertainingly it has a male stripper too. Unfortunately he's most definitely NOT my taste. And the AI is even worse than on Battleship: basically you can raise your bet until the opponent gives in. (S)He'll never challenge, EVER.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

I was able to make it through all the levels on Dragon's Lair 2 recently, only to find out that it is mandatory to pick up treasures along the way (which were not required to pass each stage in the game). The game bounced me back to the beginning to go through it all again (and get the treasures) - that's when I put the game down and said enough.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

gumby wrote:I was able to make it through all the levels on Dragon's Lair 2 recently, only to find out that it is mandatory to pick up treasures along the way (which were not required to pass each stage in the game). The game bounced me back to the beginning to go through it all again (and get the treasures) - that's when I put the game down and said enough.
That's... lame. Not that you put it down - that the treasure is mandatory...
:roll:
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

The intention was that the treasure hunt was optional, and if you got all of them, you'd get a bigger boss fight. That thought was scrapped in the final edition, and now all treasures are mandatory, but you don't find out until you're near the end. (cue game designer's debolic laughter) Or if you checked upon Wikipedia first.

Wiki says all the treasures take an extra move, but so far the treasures I've found (two) never required one.
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Dug up Living Ball, which was the world's largest pinball game at the time it came out in 1995, and I suppose nobody else since had the unholy idea to make a pinball game 165 screens high (I even made it to the top once, took half an hour). I played it a lot in my younger years, partly because it uses Ctrl for flipping and we'd already mashed the shifts with Pinball Dreams 2, and partly because it had great music.

...unfortunately, now that I actually have a pinball machine (Williams's PinBot) most of those early pinball games are very dull, when you can predict the exact ball movements.
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Living Ball has an adventure mode. The game has three huge tables: one is 99 levels and 165 screens high, and the other two are pretty large as well. In the adventure mode, which is tied together by some sloppy story related in the manual, you need to perform tasks on all three tables. Which for years seemed to be impossible.
But today I finally accomplished the feat, which took 45 minutes of solid pinball playing... and then I discovered the ending is lame. :x
Skip to new scripts
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

Maybe they didn't expect people to actually reach it.

I'm quite happy with playing Okami at the WII.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Am quite happy playing Under A Killing Moon, it's really a great game!
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”