Just Pick One -

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Just Pick One -

Post by Tawmis »

Who would you say is your ONE favorite character (from NON Sierra Games) - can be ANY genre of game.

And what MAKES them your favorite?
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Re: Just Pick One -

Post by Moon Dragon »

That's a tuffy... I think i have more a type than a specific charracter, I always seem to like the strong female figures the best, especially if she has an eye-patch... I think it's because I don't see myself like that, but would very much like to be the kind of person who has everything under control, like these characters seem to be.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

It's a toss-up. Either Manny Calavera from Grim Fandango or Guybrush Threepwood from the Monkey Island games. Manny keeps trying even though he's dead. Guybrush is funny and true blue.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

This is WAY, WAY too hard. I mean, come on - best character in gaming? Questions like these are the reason people make lists! I like different characters for different reasons, and my opinion can easily shift with the seasons (that wasn't meant to rhyme.) :D

After much deliberation, I'm going to settle on... Laverne, from "Day of the Tentacle." As far as female leads go, she's probably the most unique. I mean, face it - in a world where every female lead has a perfect body, a brilliant intellect, and strong moral values, here's the only character who really breaks the mold. She's got one eye bigger the other, a crooked smile and rat's nest hair. She's on the edge of a violent psychotic breakdown, sticks hamsters in microwaves, and prances around like she's five. And what kind of med student brings home their scalpel and keeps it in their pocket? Laverne does. She's so delightfully crazy in such a charming way - she's like the best of Helena Bonham Carter and the Wicked Witch of the West all rolled into one.

I remember the first time I unlocked her in DOTT... I never went back to playing as Hoagie or Bernard for a LONG time. She was just such an entertaining character that I practically forgot I needed to play as all three of them to beat the game.
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

After much much rethinking about this very tough question, I think I'll say Max from sam and max, because he is pure id personified he does what he wants and he's never afraid of being himself at all times, no matter what other's think...
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

When I was younger I had a bit of a crush on Elk Moon Murder's Paul Behlen. Nowadays I think "Geez, that guy should go to acting school".
And I love Manny Calavera, partly because I was always fascinated by the Grim Reaper imagery.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Non-Sierra character? Any genre? I'd have to say Gordon Freeman. Not because he has terribly interesting personality, but because his story is great. A scientist made a patsy for the biggest cataclysm to hit mankind and almost everyone in the game still worships the ground he walks on even though he's said to be responsible. And the whole interest Gman has in his life and survival.

Yeah, Half-Life 1 was published by Sierra but I still don't consider it a Sierra game. Especially since they don't anymore.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Wow, this is tough!

I think I'd go with either Tex Murphy or Phoenix Wright. Or maybe April Ryan from The Longest Journey.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Tex Murphy would be an excellent choice!

I like how we're mostly still leaning towards adventure game characters. And how the only non-adventure character selected still has the word "Sierra" on the game box.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Ken Williams has said that he feels that any game that he had a hand in bringing to market is a Sierra game, so according to him, Half-Life is a Sierra game.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I know what Ken says. I don't really agree. Just because Ken had some influence on some of the process and the fact that Sierra published it doesn't make it a Sierra game. It's totally a Valve game to me. Ken William's name was not in the in-game credits. I don't think it was in the manual credits either. I don't think there was any Sierra credits for that matter. So whatever he did was not notable enough to give it that kind of status. That, and Gordon Freeman's outlived Sierra for a while.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

On page 28 of the HL1 manual, there is a section for "Sierra Studios" in the credits. Ken Williams, however, isn't mentioned by name.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Hmmm... so... do we pick another one? Or maybe change the topic and pick just one of something completely different?
audiodane
A Member Of Cap'n Tawmis' Scurvy Crew

Post by audiodane »

Samus Aran, 'nuff said.

If I need to tell you why, then you're not worth my time to explain.

:)

..dane

ps.- awww, look, she's all grown up!

1986:
Metroid (NES), 1986
Metroid (NES), 1986
metroid-nes[1].jpg (11.06 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
2010:
Metroid: Other M (Wii), 2010
Metroid: Other M (Wii), 2010

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”