Adventure Gamers Top 100 Adventures of All Time

Talk about anything you want here
BBP
Village Elder

Re: Adventure Gamers Top 100 Adventures of All Time

Post by BBP »

Sneer towards Myst? I only played it on CD-i for about ten minutes, walking back and forth finding no hotspots with the impossible cursor until the dreaded "Your disk is dirty, we will now end your game and you'd better save more frequently next time" message came up. I spent more time playing each of the Zelda CD-is. It's as compelling as a bucket of fish.
It's a bit sad to see GK1 end so low, of the GKs it may be the best technically, but it also makes me curious to the top 10. Do games get much better than GK? Is that possible?
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

BBP wrote:Do games get much better than GK? Is that possible?
Depends who you ask. A list like this is incredibly subjective and as such is probably based more off opinion than any objective criteria.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I disliked Myst, too. I found it boring to the point of tedium. However, it does not surprise me to see it rated so high. The game has always had it's devotees. I guess that it mostly appeals to those that place more emphasis on exploration and random puzzles than the narrative.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I think Myst was a game, back then, that was way ahead of its time. I think that's why it make rank high in the minds of those who judged it. I liked it back then (have not played it in eons) - but got the following games that came after, and even got the book on Myst (the novel story thing that ties it all together).
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

There are still those that hold it in high regard, as is evident in its placement on this list. It would not have surprise me to see one more of the Myst games make the list, but we only have the top ten left.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:There are still those that hold it in high regard, as is evident in its placement on this list. It would not have surprise me to see one more of the Myst games make the list, but we only have the top ten left.
Well, the same complaint ("I found it boring to the point of tedium. However, it does not surprise me to see it rated so high. The game has always had it's devotees. I guess that it mostly appeals to those that place more emphasis on exploration and random puzzles than the narrative") could be applied to King's Quest I or even King's Quest II. I mean we all have these games that we hold in high regard. I get that KQ1 and KQ2 had more puzzles than Myst, but then Myst is a different kind of game too. To me LIGHTHOUSE is just an improved version of Myst (mixing the puzzles typical of Sierra games, with the Myst look and feel), and despite that, I liked Myst more than I liked Lighthouse (and I actually enjoyed Lighthouse back in the day)!
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Well, I must say that, while I usually prefer story-driver or character-driven games, I deeply enjoyed Myst for the sense of wonder that accompanied every step of the journey. In fact, the ending even managed to move me. On the other hand, I couldn't get in the subsequent installments and, aside from the first half of Riven and a tiny bit of Myst IV, I haven't even played them.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
QuestCollector
Sierra Veteran

Post by QuestCollector »

DeadPoolX wrote:
QuestCollector wrote:I'm sorry, but L.A. Noire should not be on this list. The game was a major disappointment and was quite boring. This is the first I've heard of anyone REALLY liking it.

Oh, and if anyone hasn't played Amnesia: Dark Descent, you should. Very intense!
I think L.A. Noire deserves to be on the list, if for no other reason, it's an important step in modern Adventure games. Critics mostly loved the game and that's probably even more important than what gamers themselves thought (although I've heard lots of positive feedback on it through Steam).

Why is it so important that critics liked it? Because Rockstar is a major publisher and that means what it does WILL get noticed by other major publishers. If other publishers see an Adventure game becoming a commercial hit, they might be willing to take more chances and increase their amount of money, time and manpower toward the Adventure genre.

I agree on what you said. I just feel that this game recieved more acclaim than it should have. A few months ago I read the review in one of my gameinformer magazines and the title of the review was "rockstar's compelling yet flawed epic fascinates". They gave it an 8.75/10. I felt it was a very generous score but I think the publisher being Rockstar had a lot to do with that.

It's probably the fact that I pre-ordered this game because it's something I very rarely do, and in the end I just felt let down. I was expecting so much from it which I probably shouldn't do.

I do hope to see other games like this and other adventure games come out under a major budget and with this game selling so well we may see more of them.

Back to the list. I don't know what to expect out of the top ten now! The only one I know for sure that will be on there is Day of the Tentacle and I can't tell you how glad I am that Myst didn't make it into the top ten! I think four of the top five I listed earlier have been placed, so I was obviously wrong with my initial estimate. I'll be excited to check the list tomorrow when I get home from work. I just fear that all Sierra games that were going to make it have. I wanted Hero's Quest to make it and I'm thinking Space Quest III might. I'm sure King's Quest is done now that 6 has shown up. So I guess I'll see what they are tomorrow.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I wonder if Real Myst is any better than the original. I know it's just a redone version, but instead of walking around frame-by-frame, you can look and move like you would in an FPS. That says nothing about the puzzles, but it might make the game somewhat more enjoyable.

As for L.A. Noire, I won't buy it (despite having great interest in it) until the price comes way down. I doubt my current machine could play it as Rockstar's console-to-PC ports seem to demand far more from a computer than most titles, plus you can't save wherever you want.

Save points are fine in games with little-to-no story or decision making, but from what I've read, there's lots of both in L.A. Noire. I'll always prefer using manual saves (or at least quick saves), but if a game is nothing but pure action, I can tolerate save points.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote:I can tolerate save points.
HAHAHHAHAHAH!!! I HAVE YOU SAYING IT!!! AT LONG LAST!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!

(Sure I took it out of context, but I didn't edit it!) :lol:
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

DeadPoolX wrote:
Depends who you ask. A list like this is incredibly subjective and as such is probably based more off opinion than any objective criteria.
Yeah, it's very all over the place in how they're rating each game. If two similar games break very different ground, then you can't really rate one over the other without letting nostalgia determine which one gets the top spot. And nostalgia's the wild card that starts debates in these lists.

As far as the GK series goes, in my opinion they do have excellent stories - but as games, I find they're more geared towards exploration rather than puzzle-solving. You can complete most objectives just by walking into a room or talking to someone. Of course, this is for realism's sake since it would be ridiculous if Von Glower stopped mid-conversation to ask you to bring him a shrubbery. But this is one of those subjective things where a more task-oriented person might prefer a game with more puzzles.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:I can tolerate save points.
HAHAHHAHAHAH!!! I HAVE YOU SAYING IT!!! AT LONG LAST!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!

(Sure I took it out of context, but I didn't edit it!) :lol:
Heh. Well, I'll take manual saves any day of the week; in fact, I don't think there's a good reason to exclude them in any game. However, if the save points are frequent and placed properly, they're tolerable.

That assumes there's no real story or decisions to be made in the game. A game like Call of Duty 2, for instance, which is nothing but action sequence after action sequence broken into missions is fine. A game with a story and decisions, like L.A. Noire, is not.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm surprised to see GK1 ranked so low (if 16th best game of all time could even be considered low!) ;) But again, looks like some games I've played have made the grade (Beneath a Steel Sky, Monkey Island 1, Fate of Atlantis). Speaking of LucasArts adventure games - I wonder if "The Dig" would make it the list? Or "Loom"?

Incidentally, the entry on Monkey Island 1 says "You might also like: Tales of Monkey Island, Escape from Monkey Island". Err....? Why no mention of LeChuck's Revenge or Curse of Monkey Island? :| Both are part of the MI series (and MI2, or at least the Special Edition, is still available commercially, so......?) ;)

However, I fully agree with the review where it says "...there’s still life in the old sea dog yet." Absolutely right. I still have MI1, MI2 (the classic versions!) and MI3 on my computer, and still dip into them occasionally (using DOSBox, obviously). Why? Because they're immense fun! ;)
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

The Dig is #92 and Loom is #61.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Datadog wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:
Of course, this is for realism's sake since it would be ridiculous if Von Glower stopped mid-conversation to ask you to bring him a shrubbery.
Am I sensing a Python fan here? :)
I'd definitely say GK2 has little to do with puzzles,which is possibly why I didn't like it very much (particularly the first two Grace chapters are little but bouncing back and forth between locations) and GK1 is a little low on the puzzle factor as well, but GK3 has a very solid base with Le Serpent Rouge.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”