Jane Jensen opens herself to the public

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Shakar
Sierra Enthusiast

Re: Jane Jensen opens herself to the public

Post by Shakar »

Wednesday is so far away :lol:
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Ooh that's gonna be some birthday present for me!
The Tim Curry forum voted it's a different actor btw.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:The Tim Curry forum voted it's a different actor btw.
See, I figured. It sounds close... but not exactly like Tim Curry.
UPtimist
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by UPtimist »

Something about the idea of group of Tim Curry fanatics listening to a sample and coming to the consensus (especially via a vote) that it's indeed a Tim Curry impersonator amuses me :P

Anyway, I thought this guy sounded younger.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

UPtimist wrote:Something about the idea of group of Tim Curry fanatics listening to a sample and coming to the consensus (especially via a vote) that it's indeed a Tim Curry impersonator amuses me :P

Anyway, I thought this guy sounded younger.
It was his "Louisiana" 'accent' that sounded different to me.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

UPtimist wrote:Sure, no proof of GK, but it's more proof that there is indeed something coming along.

Also, this was noted over at Adventure Gamers:
And also in Google pinkertonroad.com is listed as Pinkerton Road Studios.

Could be that she's getting "her own" game studio, and (hopefully) they're coming up with a new game already? And we could only hope they're also getting the rights to GK and GM :)
That's definitely Jane's new studio (or at least, a new home).

After finding out Mount Joy resides in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, I looked up her property assessment. As I figured, it was listed under her husband, but it was still very easy to find.

If anyone feels like being nosy, take a look at Jane and Robert's property assessment. This is entirely legal. All of this information is freely available to the public in the US (not too sure about other countries, though). Most people just don't think to use them as research tools.

So while this doesn't solve our Jane-related mystery, it does give us some neat information to review. At the very least, we know this property has something to do with Jane, most likely on a professional basis, and that in turn could relate to whatever new games she later develops.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

DPX, you have the mind of a PI. I like it :D
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

It's another kickstarter, and not even for GK4. I feel a bit fooled. Not to mention I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Curry would sue if his voice is used in an ad he didn't approve of. (inside voice: BB, it's Tim Curry, not the Zappa Family Trust)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/100 ... 2-2013-csg
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
UPtimist
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by UPtimist »

But come on, how likely was that? I mean, first of all, the fact that they used both GM and GK footage - at least in my opinion - indicated that it's not a GK thing but just that she was using her well-known games as marketing. The GK rights have been notoriously well... sat upon.

Besides, she says this:
We would love to do Gabriel Knight in the near future. Because that IP does not belong to us, it's not a given. Having our own studio, and successfully shipping a title, will make obtaining the rights more likely than ever before.
and this (in AG):
I'm sorry if the teaser campaign got hopes up about GK4. But the good news is that we will pursue it, of course, and the studio will allow us to have more control over whether that happens or not. Gabe is not forgotten!

There IS a good chance for it, probably better than ever before. It will just take some time to work it out.
I'm just excited to be getting new Jane Jensen games!

Apparently they had decided to use Kickstarter even before this new fad, just that the others beat them to it, and they didn't feel like waiting any further.
Shakar
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by Shakar »

Well I knew not to get my hopes up. But it's a start of something great for sure.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I don't feel fooled. I was 99% sure that it was NOT going to be Gabriel Knight related. Jane, as said above, was just using the games she was best known for (Gabriel Knight). And that should have been obvious, because as I said, it was using GK3 footage - not anything where it was newly rendered GK. Had it been NEWLY rendered version of GK, then I might feel fooled. But the fact it was GK3. I figured, this is her doing promotion. And a great way to build up a buzz. Because, as again mentioned above - the GK rights have just been sat upon. I'd hope that if Jane is interested, and her side company takes off, that she might be able to go into talks with Sierra about getting the rights to GK. But I'd wager, that would have to wait. When she made Gray Matter, she probably learned, and struck a deal that she would retain all rights. Thus, with her own company she could make Gray Matter 2. After all, why try to purchase GK rights (which may be costly) if the company's future may not go over well? I bet she's going to see how it goes, then go from there (if she's even still interested in doing a GK4).
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

They should never have used GK in their advertising if there was not going to be anything GK-related.
It's not just misleading, she also doesn't own GK and it wouldn't surprise me if Activision would sue. It would surprise me if Tim Curry would sue, but if I were him I would if someone used my voice in a commercial.
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:They should never have used GK in their advertising if there was not going to be anything GK-related.
It's not just misleading, she also doesn't own GK and it wouldn't surprise me if Activision would sue. It would surprise me if Tim Curry would sue, but if I were him I would if someone used my voice in a commercial.
First, look at all the videos on Youtube. Youtube makes money off those videos. Activision would have to go after EVERY single GK video. Hades, we don't even know if she got permission to use GK from Activision, which is entirely possible, for the ad. Or if she OWNS the rights to GK3 material, just can't create any NEW material.

I don't think Activision's the least bit concerned. Or else they'd gun after Al Lowe (who makes money on his site through ads), for using Leisure Suit Larry images (before they got recently sold, anyway). Which would be the case for ANY website making money using material still owned by Sierra, whether by ads or anything else...

Second, they didn't USE Tim Curry's voice. They used someone who IMPERSONATED him. Which is COMPLETELY legal. (Look at all those shows like Saturday Night Live, or any comedian who does impressions). Nowhere in the video does it SAY it's Tim Curry. If, for example, I could impersonate your voice (not sure how I could do it, but just as an example) and used it in a video to promote something I was doing; it'd be well within my legal right, so long as I don't put in the video that it is YOU saying it.
Shakar
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by Shakar »

Tawmis wrote:I don't feel fooled. I was 99% sure that it was NOT going to be Gabriel Knight related. Jane, as said above, was just using the games she was best known for (Gabriel Knight). And that should have been obvious, because as I said, it was using GK3 footage - not anything where it was newly rendered GK. Had it been NEWLY rendered version of GK, then I might feel fooled. But the fact it was GK3. I figured, this is her doing promotion. And a great way to build up a buzz. Because, as again mentioned above - the GK rights have just been sat upon. I'd hope that if Jane is interested, and her side company takes off, that she might be able to go into talks with Sierra about getting the rights to GK. But I'd wager, that would have to wait. When she made Gray Matter, she probably learned, and struck a deal that she would retain all rights. Thus, with her own company she could make Gray Matter 2. After all, why try to purchase GK rights (which may be costly) if the company's future may not go over well? I bet she's going to see how it goes, then go from there (if she's even still interested in doing a GK4).
Well said. This is just the beginning.
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

Tawmis wrote:Activision would have to go after EVERY single GK video.
Please don't :roll:

Tawmis wrote:Second, they didn't USE Tim Curry's voice. They used someone who IMPERSONATED him.
That was Jason Michael Victor, a.k.a. King Graham in the Silver Lining.
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”