Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Tawmis »

You can bet women are already plotting on how to get to that planet...
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

First wolf sighting in The Netherlands since 1897!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

Quest for Glory
and Zeus on GOG.com.
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

The adventure game Dreamweb has been released as freeware:
http://www.scummvm.org/news/20121021/
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

I'm sure some of you already know this, but...

Disney now owns LucasFilm LTD
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Expack3 wrote:I'm sure some of you already know this, but...

Disney now owns LucasFilm LTD
I didn't know this, so thanks for sharing. Normally I'd be concerned, but Disney owns Marvel Comics and has done a fantastic job with those films, so I figure they won't do any worse than Lucas did himself.

The only section of Lucas' businesses that I'd be worried about is LucasArts, especially the Monkey Island property. If you don't know why, check out this Cracked article for more info.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmmm... this is worrying. So will Disney completely kiddify Monkey Island? Yuck... :( What a bleak and horrible future that promises to be.

What do you think, DPX?
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Hmmm... this is worrying. So will Disney completely kiddify Monkey Island? Yuck... :( What a bleak and horrible future that promises to be.

What do you think, DPX?
I can't vouch for DPX, but what I got out of the Cracked article to which DPX linked was Disney, now the rights-holder for Monkey Island, could easily pull it from store shelves, both digital and physical, for being too close to Pirates of the Carribean. Besides, in the various articles I've read, Disney's statements quite clearly indicate they are uninterested in any LucasFilm property except Star Wars. Ergo, I doubt they'd even touch Monkey Island - or any other non-Star Wars property for that matter.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Hmmm... this is worrying. So will Disney completely kiddify Monkey Island? Yuck... :( What a bleak and horrible future that promises to be.

What do you think, DPX?
I don't think Disney will "kiddify" the Monkey Island series. They didn't do that with their Marvel movies, so I still hope. That is, of course, unless Disney pulls all support for Monkey Island, which it'd technically be within its rights to do.
Expack3 wrote: I can't vouch for DPX, but what I got out of the Cracked article to which DPX linked was Disney, now the rights-holder for Monkey Island, could easily pull it from store shelves, both digital and physical, for being too close to Pirates of the Carribean.

I don't think they'd pull any current copies -- digital or physical -- from stores or online distributors. The reason being most of it is already a done deal with TellTale Games. The worst that might happen is they'd pull support, meaning no more Monkey Island titles from here on out.

Even if Disney did want to pull Monkey Island off store shelves (which would be a costly endeavor in of itself), they wouldn't do it to digital copies. That'd potentially screw over people who've already paid good money for digital copies.
Expack3 wrote:Besides, in the various articles I've read, Disney's statements quite clearly indicate they are uninterested in any LucasFilm property except Star Wars. Ergo, I doubt they'd even touch Monkey Island - or any other non-Star Wars property for that matter.
Yeah, from what we've read, Disney seems primarily interested in Star Wars. That said, they have a ride called Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye at Disneyland (along with Star Tours), so it seems they had some sort of deal with Lucas early on.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

The Star Tours exterior > at Florida than Los Angeles. Same with Pirates.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Here are a few interesting stories:

1. A seven year-old boy was suspended because he was playing an imaginary game on the school's playground. Apparently he decided to throw an imaginary grenade (no physical object) into a sandbox with imaginary bad guys. The elementary school he goes to has a "no fighting and no weapons, real or imaginary" rule in place. I can understand the real portion of that, but killing the imagination of young children? Moronic.

2. A man was arrested at the Nanaimo ferry terminal (Nanaimo is a city on Vancouver Island and the most frequently used ferry terminal going back and forth between mainland BC) for carrying 23 kilograms of pot. This just goes to show that despite the rumors, recreational marijuana is not legal in Canada.

3. More brides in Hong Kong have decided to forgo shark fin soup, which apparently is a traditional meal served at weddings. This type of awareness is good, especially for a place like China that has a less-than-stellar record when it comes to human and animal welfare.
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

DeadPoolX wrote:Here are a few interesting stories:

1. A seven year-old boy was suspended because he was playing an imaginary game on the school's playground. Apparently he decided to throw an imaginary grenade (no physical object) into a sandbox with imaginary bad guys. The elementary school he goes to has a "no fighting and no weapons, real or imaginary" rule in place. I can understand the real portion of that, but killing the imagination of young children? Moronic.
Maybe the imaginary part is meant as an insurance so bullies can't say that it was just play/for fun if they pick a fight with someone?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Moon Dragon wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:Here are a few interesting stories:

Maybe the imaginary part is meant as an insurance so bullies can't say that it was just play/for fun if they pick a fight with someone?
It's simply an overreaction, brought upon by zero tolerance policies many schools in the US have. Basically, they hide behind these policies so they can use a "one-solution-fits-all" approach and don't have to actually consider the circumstances and students involved. It's lazy, and to be honest, stupid, but not surprising given that most businesses in the US (and schools count) are paranoid of lawsuits.
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

System Shock 2 is exclusively coming to GOG.com 2/14/2013 at ~6AM EST. No, this is not a joke.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”