Pinkerton Rd - Moebius and GK1 Remake News.

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Re: Gabriel Knight 1 Remake (MGX)

Post by Datadog »

As long as Jane's making games, I'm happy. I kind of expected this to happen, although I thought Activision would jump on King's Quest first. KQ4, KQ5 and KQ6 would look amazing if they avoided 3D and painted them in hi-def.

I'd like to see what changes they make to GK1, and if this will affect future possible GK games. Remaking GK2 seems out of the question without doing away with all the FMVs and going full 3D. Hopefully, they might move straight on to GK4 after this.

Also: Abrams' Star Trek FTW!
MacTeq
Sierra Fan

Post by MacTeq »

What's the issue with Tim Curry returning anyway? Too expensive or is he not available because of his recent health issues?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Been following Tim since 2008, when I first played GK3. He was a work-horse who had something new coming out at the blink of an eye. He hasn't worked since the stroke, at all. There's not a single published photo of him after the stroke, whether official or not. His stroke happened a year and a half ago. That's a long time to be this quiet.
The amount of actors who came back from a stroke? Kirk Douglas played a stroke victim, that's pretty much it. I hope that I'll be able to see him live sometime, but I seriously doubt he'll even work again, to be honest.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

DeadPoolX wrote:Don't believe Hollywood, the so-called southern accents usually heard in movies and TV shows is fake. In fact, I have yet to hear a southern accent -- any of them -- properly portrayed in movies, TV shows or games.
What do you mean? Don't Southeners speak like they do in True Blood? :D

Jokes aside, I agree that Tim Curry was over the top. But if there is a single actor in the world capacle of pull off an over the top accent that at the same time feel so wonderfully genuine, it's Tim Curry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc80tFJpTuo[/youtube]
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I strongly suspected that MGX would be a GK1 remake, but I am pleasantly surprised by how good the backgrounds look. They really managed to capture the feel (and detail) of the original game, while being more up-to-date. I wish they'd make the St. George's Bookstore background available as a desktop image!

I'm a little less fond of the Gabriel model, since I liked the gorgeous cheekbones and shorter hair in GK1 original.

Having seen what they've done so far, I'm confident the game will be well put together and true to the original, with Jane at the helm. I do have some concerns about voices, but I keep telling myself Jane would not pick someone that was not a good fit for the role.

While I do think a good story is the most important aspect of a single-player game, games are an interactive multimedia experience. This means the other media (graphics, sound, etc.) should create an immersive setting to facilitate exploration and complement the story. So I'm happy about the graphical and musical upgrades, since they've stayed true to the original. It's not like they wouldn't have used them for the original, had they been available back then.
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I'm sure that César could be convinced to make a high res version available that could be used for wallpaper.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tinuviel
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Tinuviel »

You'd be surprised how many times Tim Curry's appeared in the credits of even new games. Ever played Dragon Age Origins? Guess what...he's in there. And I swear I didn't recognize it as him either until I did a double take when reading the credits.

When I saw this remake news on Gamespot, I was actually pretty excited. I never got into Leisure Suit Larry, but wasn't the new one a "new" game and not a remake? When I think remake, I think updating graphics and such for improved technology. If this fits that bill, I'm for it. Not that I don't enjoy the original (hell, I play the original Space Quest I more than the remake, same with KQ1) because I'm nostalgic like that.

If the story's the same, I'm all for it. It'll introduce new gamers to the great games we all knew about and loved, and that can only be good for the genre.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Hi Tin. Long time no read.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tinuviel wrote:I never got into Leisure Suit Larry, but wasn't the new one a "new" game and not a remake?
Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded was mostly a remake. The entire game was the first LSL with updated graphics and sound, but also included a few new features.

That really didn't amount to much, though. The new content was one new girl and a few new puzzles, but that's it. In fact, the addition of this new girl felt forced and didn't add to the game at all.

Unless you can get LSL:R for a huge discount, I wouldn't recommend buying it. It's a very poorly created remake. If you're interested in knowing my reasons for this thinking this, PM me and I'll tell you. I don't want to derail this thread, since it's really supposed to be about the new GK1 remake, not LSL:R.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tinuviel
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Tinuviel »

Hi all. Yes, I know I only visit when I need something...and when something new and cool comes out.

You should be happy to know that this is the first place I go when something Sierra-based shows up on the interwebz.
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Good to see you around, Tin. *wave* :)

GK1 remake certainly qualifies for something new and cool (and Sierra-related)!
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

This is such great news! The introduction of Gabriel Knight into modern gaming creates a range of possibilities for us die hard P&C adventure fans, and it looks good too.

However, the thing I immediately thought of was "What about 2 and 3? If it sells well, will she remake those games as well?"
Well, I definately hope so, for three reasons;
- It paves a way for a long awaited 4th game, as mentioned before.
- Gabriel Knight 3 must be one of my favorite games ever, and I would adore a version playable on a tablet. I sometimes carry around an old netbook specifically for playing that game. I can't imagine right now what it would be without 3D though, but a lot of players obviously think it should never have been 3D in the first place.
- I disliked the Beast Within, particularly because I didn't like the actors; if Jane should ever make a new version of it, I hope it will be in the classic style.

It is a shame we must do without Tim, though.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Spikey wrote: It is a shame we must do without Tim, though.
Personally, I would have also been glad if they snagged Dean Erickson to do the voice.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Am I the only one who thnks Dean Erickson's voice is just not good enough for GK2's narration parts? Too light, too nasal, too insecure, poor diction (I frequently had problems making out his words, so three cheers for the subtitle patch). Say of Tim what you want, but at least I can understand what he says.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:Am I the only one who thnks Dean Erickson's voice is just not good enough for GK2's narration parts? Too light, too nasal, too insecure, poor diction (I frequently had problems making out his words, so three cheers for the subtitle patch). Say of Tim what you want, but at least I can understand what he says.
Tim over did the accent, which I did not mind at all. (Having been to New Orleans several times now, I can clearly see how much he over did it). But like I said, no problem for me.

As for Dean, he's not a perfect fit (but then unless you get someone who is a New Orleans native, you're not going to get that fit!) - but I would enjoy Dean as GK, because there's some history already there. And I, personally, had no issues understanding him in GK2. But then, English is my native language, so that probably gives me an unfair advantage.

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”