Things That Annoy You!

Talk about anything you want here
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Things That Annoy You!

Post by Rath Darkblade »

My boss is a bit like that. She knows that I'm only working part-time and looking for more work; I keep asking, from time to time, if I can have more days per week; I try to be helpful by taking on more tasks from busy people in the office. My boss suggested to me that I help the other people, yet when I try to, she does nothing but yell at me for "breaking the rules". :(
shellybee
Sierra Lover

Post by shellybee »

What annoys me is that it is 100 degrees here and has been almost everyday for the past two weeks and all I wanna do is get my ice cream home from the grocery before it turns to a soupy mess..but no such luck... :x
"MMMMMM!!..Kudo jerkey pretzels..."
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

Shelly, I feel your pain. It's been hot as balls for the past three weeks, we get a downpour that almost knocks our all tomato and basil plants. "Normal" weather is a thing of the past.

Right now, it's storming heavily in Baton Rouge and from the looks of the radar, we're probably not going to get a drop.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Hmmm... the warmest it'll get this week is 25°C (that's 77°F). Believe it or not, that's hot since most homes in Canada lack air conditioning. Fortunately, Maia and I broke down and bought an AC unit. It really helps.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Jules wrote: It's been hot as balls for the past three weeks
:shock: Did you just say that?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Same here... Worst is the heat keeps me awake and I have to get up at 4:45am 6 days a week.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

Tawmis wrote:
You betcha, sweet cheeks. :D

Since we never had A/C in Pa, I can stand heat pretty well but this heat is unbearable. I was hanging up the wash outside and I could feel the sweat drops form on my nose.

Figured, why heat the house with a dryer when there's plenty of it outside. :oops: <--hot
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Jules wrote:
Tawmis wrote:
You betcha, sweet cheeks. :D

Since we never had A/C in Pa, I can stand heat pretty well but this heat is unbearable. I was hanging up the wash outside and I could feel the sweat drops form on my nose.

Figured, why heat the house with a dryer when there's plenty of it outside. :oops: <--hot
Considering how close you are to the Gulf of Mexico, I have to bet there's plenty of humidity. I'm originally from Houston, TX and the norm there is somewhere around 100% humidity. It's not always that bad, but in general, a rating of 90% humidity is considered "low."

Perhaps the reason the heat is worse than in Pennsylvania is because it's very humid. Maybe it can get humid in Pennsylvania too (I wouldn't know since I've never been there), but chances are it's not as humid -- on a consistent basis -- as it is in Louisiana.
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

There were days like this in Pa but they were never constant. We'd have a week, at most, of hot humid days and it would be pleasant again.

Right now the humidity is 55% and our outside thermometer reads 102.6 in the shade at 11:32am. Weather.com says it's 94 degrees but I'm skeptical because I took out my cooking digital thermometer (not a cheap one) and it reads 117.2 degrees in the sun.

Patrick said when he was growing up, the typical Louisiana summer day was humid with a short rain shower every day at 2pm. Not anymore. :?
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

When you do business with a 'reputable' company but it's extremely hard to get in contact with a human being.

I'm forever being led on an endless computerized answering system. Press 1 to leave us alone, Press 2 to get the hell out of my face, Press 3 to hang up. Pressing zero will repeat these options. Have a nice day! :evil:
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Jules wrote:When you do business with a 'reputable' company but it's extremely hard to get in contact with a human being.

I'm forever being led on an endless computerized answering system. Press 1 to leave us alone, Press 2 to get the hell out of my face, Press 3 to hang up. Pressing zero will repeat these options. Have a nice day! :evil:
Yup. I've met with that sort of frustration for any large company I've dealt with in the past. Even worse is that the government (federal, provincial and local) does the same thing, only it's far less user-friendly.

I vividly remember Immigration Canada's automated phone system. It says, "If you'd like to speak to a live person, hold on the line. Otherwise, you can use our automated system."

Sounds good, right? But a moment later it says this, "You have not made a selection. Please make a selection."

In other words, I need to select an option for their automated menu; however, I theoretically have the choice to speak to a live person if I hang on -- only, I don't have the option to hang on, even though they say I can. :shock:
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I don't actually mind not dealing with a person, as long as I can accomplish what I need to get done. Normally I'm fairly patient, but I had to call our communications provider once and their touch-tone/voice-recognition (either worked) phone system kept me bouncing around and going in circles for a while. I couldn't get the option I wanted and I was getting very frustrated by my lack of progress, so I finally yelled at the phone, "Give me a f***ing" person!". The voice recognition software answered "OK, a representative," and it put me through to someone. I found this quite amusing, since I was expecting it to tell me it didn't know that word.

Now I know exactly what to say to get a person immediately. :D
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Perhaps it is programmed to recognize the tone/volume of someone who has lost all patience to deal with the automated system. Of course that is not good for the agent that then gets the call.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

:lol: Maia!!

I think I know what method to use next time...
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Collector wrote:Perhaps it is programmed to recognize the tone/volume of someone who has lost all patience to deal with the automated system. Of course that is not good for the agent that then gets the call.

I have a feeling it was programmed to recognize the phrase, or at least most of it.

However, I didn't yell at the agent. I don't yell at people on the other end in these cases because I know that my issue isn't their personal fault. If they do something during the conversation that I don't like, then I may become somewhat annoyed, but I try to remain civil at least.

Of course, I've also worked in customer service positions in the past, so I know what it's like to be on the receiving end unfairly.
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”