What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

DeadPoolX wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:44 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:33 pm Because GOG had it on sale, I bought EXPEDITION: VIKINGS ... just only passed the intro bit, but it looks like it has promise.
Please let us know what it's like, Tawm. :) I've had my eye on that one for quite some time.

DPX, my computer meets the minimum and then some. :? I looked that error up online, found the same thing and tried the "heavy attack", but nothing happened. *shrug*

Oh, well...
I didn't say "minimum," I said "recommended." The minimum specs for a game only mean that the game can start up. It might run like complete crap and be virtually unplayable, but technically, the minimum specs will get the game "running." So I usually ignore minimum specs and look at the recommended specs. Those aren't always accurate either, but it's a better way to gauge what the game needs.
Oh! Sorry, DPX. :oops: I read your post but then kept on carrying the thread, and forgot that you said "recommended".

At any rate, my computer meets both the minimum and recommended specs, and goes over and above the rec-specs. So I'm still confused.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

So you actually lose framerate and video is choppy or is it smooth and your character just walks slowly?
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Er ... the video is (or was, since I don't own the game anymore) fairly smooth, but my character just walked and acted slowly, and nothing I did could fix it. So I threw the game away. Pity. :|
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:44 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:33 pm Because GOG had it on sale, I bought EXPEDITION: VIKINGS ... just only passed the intro bit, but it looks like it has promise.
Please let us know what it's like, Tawm. :) I've had my eye on that one for quite some time.
The game is fun. It's like a RTS meets Bioware's "conversation chain."

The controls can be a little clunky (like you make your moves; but then you need to click "End Turn" - and to do so, it's in the lower right corner, and it makes it look like you're going to move in that direction; and if you accidentally miss the "End Turn" button {admittedly difficult to do because it is rather large}, your character will walk in that direction {despite the size, I still missed it once and learned my lesson when the other guy got an attack of opportunity on me}). :o
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:05 am Er ... the video is (or was, since I don't own the game anymore) fairly smooth, but my character just walked and acted slowly, and nothing I did could fix it. So I threw the game away. Pity. :|
This is so bizarre to me and I can't let it go until I figure out what's going on. Does this happen with any character you play as? From any faction/race? Or have you only tried one? Or maybe the game is just too slow for you? You know you can run, right? Have you played Morrowind? Do you know how slow that game is? Is it something like that? The game seemed as fast as any other MMO I've played to me. This can't be a framerate issue since your video is smooth so it's nothing at all to do with your system requirements.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I only tried one character, but I restarted and tried several times. Same thing.

Of course I know I can run. ;) I didn't run - I tried to sneak (which I know would make my character slower) - but my character was so slow as to be almost unbearable - i.e. every step took forever. When my character was spotted sneaking, I got up and tried to run at whoever was firing at me, but couldn't see anyone - and meanwhile, my character was taking blow after blow without being able to retaliate, because there was no-one to retaliate at.

I have played Morrowind - the original Morrowind, that is, not TES: Morrowind. I know that game is pretty slow, but I don't know about TES:M. But this was nothing like the original Morrowind - at least in that game, I could see where I was going, I could hit back, and my character could walk, sneak, run and jump with no difficulty.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Did you have CAPS LOCK turned on by any chance? Apparently that forces the character to walk instead of run (and what's usually viewed as "normal movement speed" is running, not walking).
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

That's very bizarre indeed. You can definitely see enemies attacking you. There are huge visual aids like big red colouring on the ground sometimes that portray the attack range where you will receive damage if you're inside it. And nobody can attack you from too far away. So I have no idea what's going on with your game there.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Just spent about a week wrestling the Cluedo DVD game. Gaaaaah...
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Which one is that? I can't think of anything like that...

Is it this one you're referring to?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Yes, that one.
When I first got it it was in the reduced section. I was highly amused by the appalling spelling errors on the back of the box. The instructions aren't well-written - with three university-educated people we couldn't make the first game of 10 work. We then played the second. And then we had a problem.

The DVD works with timed segments. There are 4 variables (with Cluedo DVD being about a theft, these are: suspects, stolen items, locations and times). The possible stolen items are set aside and are released one by one into the game.
My sister and I are good players. When we played we had the other 3 variables long before we had enough of the other item cards in play to warrant asking about them.

In other words, when you're a fan, you're too good for the game.
Add the fact that it's a lousy theft, horrible animations, bad voice acting and utterly annoying music to the mix and voila, there's why it stood idle for at least 12 years in my Cluedo collection.

Somebody at the Cluedo forum I frequent is making a version you can play without the DVD. So for this individual I checked all 10 cases on my DVD to see if they corresponded with his output. And now that I'm done, I'm very happy!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hooray! :D Yes, I can't imagine sitting through all that ... yikes.

What do you mean by "lousy theft"? Also, "bad voice acting"? Define "bad" - do you remember the voice acting for Elsa and Katrina in QfG5? ;)

Hmm - yes, animation and music can be bad in DVD games. I vaguely remember playing a computer Cluedo game, but I can't remember if it was that one. Can music and animation be turned off?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

You can turn off the sound but at times the "Inspector Brown" character will pop up to announce a hint or to tell everybody to put one of their cards out in the open and you will need to hear when that happens. You can't always skip things and in some cases you can "see" the hint but not always, and hints are important in the case games.

There's a Cluedo - Murder At Boddy Mansion game,which I think you may be referring to since it was hugely popular. Unfortunately it jams in 50% of the cases. It had pretty gruesome animations of getting murdered by the suspect and murder weapon. I had them turned off because they were too much for me, but without that I didn't have enough time to write stuff down.
Skip to new scripts
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

A whole lot of Tetris 99 (basically Tetris Battle Royale) on my Switch. So far I've leveled up to level 39. The highest I've made it is #4 out of the 99 players at once that start out. So addictive!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Bee playing Hoyle Classic a lot... that's the remake of Hoyle 1 where you can play cribbage, old maid, crazy eights, ginrummy, euchre, hearts, bridge and Klondike solitaire. Except for Klondike you can play these games against numerous Sierra characters and employees. The characters are: Pepper, Willy Beamish, some alien, Laura Bow, Roger Wilco, King Graham, Dr Brain and Leisure Suit Larry. Also, among the employees is a young Raleigh Holmes.

I'm having lots of fun and quite a share of frustrating moments with it. Today I played hearts and shot the moon. I play Old Maid just because there's an animation of the losing party changing into an old maid (I think I once taunted you with King Graham as old maid in a screenshot game).

Man, I wish there'd been a more recent version where we could play against Gabriel and Grace...
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”