Least Flattering, Worst, Most Embarrassing Royal Nicknames

Talk about anything you want here
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Least Flattering, Worst, Most Embarrassing Royal Nicknames

Post by Rath Darkblade »

So, I'm just wondering. ;) There are more than a few kings known as "The Great" -- the best known are Alfred the Great (of England), Charles (aka Charlemagne), Alexander the Great, Peter the Great (of Russia) and so on. The coolest, in my not-so-humble, is King Scorpion II of Thinis (ancient Egypt). How metal is that? :twisted: Can you just imagine some heavy metal group growling a song about KING SCORPION!!! YEAH!!! :twisted: ;)

There are quite a few kings nicknamed "The Brave", "The Strong", "The Wise" and so on. I can imagine such kings being puffed up with pride. Possibly they even deserved their nicknames. But what are some of the worst (and most deserved? ;) I'm not interested in nicknames that make sense, like "King So-And-So The Lazy" which is given to some king because he focused on consolidating his power. But if a king is called "the Lazy" because he was definitely lazy ... that's different).

So let's see:

12. William the Bastard
Everyone knows this guy, more famously known as William the Conqueror. He was known as "the Bastard" because he was literally an illegitimate child; although his father was the Duke of Normandy, his mother was the wife of a poor tanner (or leatherworker).

When besieging a castle once, the defenders hung animal hides from the wall and shouted "Hides for the tanner." After he took the castle, he had their hands and feet chopped off. (OK, so as far as "Yo mama" jokes go, that one's bad. He's got the right to be touchy. But still ...) :shock:

11. Ivalyo the Lettuce (aka the Radish or the Swineherd)
Ivaylo was a poor pig farmer in Bulgaria. In 1277, Bulgaria was struggling both with the Tatar invaders and an economic crisis. Ivalyo put together an efficient peasant army that defended Northern Bulgaria against the Tatars and defeated them in several battles. Instead of being grateful, the Bulgar Tsar Constantine chose to wage war against the peasants; but against all odds, his army was routed and Constantine was killed.

With Bulgaria still under threat from both the Tatars and the Byzantines, the widowed Queen Maria chose to marry Ivalyo and make him the new Tsar. He went on to beat both the Tatars and the Byzantines with his army of peasants, but eventually met his match in King Georgi Terter of Tsarnovo. Ivalyo went to a rival, Nogai (the leader of the Tatars) for help. Instead, Nogai killed him.

His various nicknames refer to his humble farming background. As kings go, he wasn't particularly bad, but could never get the support of the various Bulgar noblemen.

10. John the Babymaker
John II ruled Cleves from 1481 until his death in 1521. He fathered sixty-three (!!!) illegitimate children before his marriage, and three 'legitimate' kids during his marriage to Anna of Katzenelnbogen.

Presumably this left him with very little time for actual kinging.

9. William The Greatest Debauchee Of The Age
William III was King of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxembourg from 1849 until his death in 1890. He also had what you could call 'an enthusiasm for extra-marital relations.' Apparently The New York Times called him 'the Greatest Debauchee.' I wonder if they forgot about John the Babymaker.

8. Piero The Unfortunate
Piero di Lorenzo de' Medici was the Gran maestro of Florence from 1492 until 1494. He was feeble, arrogant, and undisciplined - but because his dad was named Lorenzo the Magnificent, he was given a chance at leadership.

Spoiler alert - he blew it. He abandoned an with France in favor of one with Naples, lost control of the city when the French invaded, and was then ousted from power when the people revolted, plundered the Medici Palace, and exiled his family from Florence.

As if that wasn't bad enough, he eventually drowned crossing a river while fleeing from a battle in 1503.

7. Lulach The Foolish
Lulach mac Gille Coemgáin was nicknamed "the Simple-minded" or "the Foolish," yet he still managed to be King of Scots in 1057. The stepson of Macbeth, Lulach was the first king in Scotland that there are coronation details for - but his reign was weak, and he was assassinated less than a year into the job.

6. John George The Beer Jug
John George I, Elector of Saxony (king 1611-1656) was politically smart, but not a great ruler. He decided that the Thirty Years' War (a particularly unlovely religious war) was not for him, so he simply went down to his local (I presume it was called The Cabbage and Schnitzel), got a few pints, and waited for the whole thing to blow over. What? Some kings prefer to wait in the pub.

His people were not very forgiving, and started calling him 'John-George Beer-jug', making him sound like a footballer's dodgy mate.

He's also distantly related to the British Royal Family, so if anyone wants to know what the reign of Prince Harry would be like…

5. Louis the Unavoidable
Poor old Louis XVIII of France spent much of his reign in the late 18th century in exile due to the French Revolution. When things began to stabilise once after Napoleon's defeat in 1815, Louis was deemed the 'unavoidable' choice to reclaim the throne. Talk about a blow to his self-esteem!

4. Halfdan the Bad Entertainer
King of Norway, having taken over from his father King Eystein (who had an even more embarrassing nickname). His real name was Halfdan Eysteinsson, King of Uppsala, and he was said to have been a brave and brilliant warrior in battle who was something of a champion when it came to pillaging and bringing back the spoils of war to his kingdom.

So it may seem a bit strange that he wasn't known as Halfdan the Mighty or Halfdan the Brave, but ended up with a nickname that makes him sound like he was crap at charades or something.

The real reason he went down in history as The Bad Entertainer is simple: although he gifted land and money to the men who served under him in battle, he was a bit mean with the drinks and snacks when they visited him at his home.

So always break out the booze and biscuits for your visitors. If you forget, they won't. ;)

3. Eystein the Fart
Formally known as Eystein Halfdansson (also father of Halfdan the Bad Entertainer), an 8th century king of Norway. The epithet "Fart" is usually taken to mean that he was a busybody or loudmouth, although no definitive explanation has yet been found.

He was definitely a mighty fighter, was quick to battle and had fast ships, so perhaps the nickname came about because he was so fast, it was as if he was propelled by a wind? (And the word "wind" reminded someone of "fart"?) Who knows.

2. Archibald the Loser
If you want proof that insults don't change much, there's the story of Archibald Douglas (4th Earl of Douglas, born back in 1372). He was the son of the equally unfortunately nicknamed Archibald the Grim and inherited the Earldom. So why "The Loser"?

Archibald wasn't short of bravery; he took part in numerous major battles (e.g. Homildon Hill, the Battle of Shrewsbury and the Battle of Verneuil), but he ended up on the losing side every time. He lost an eye to the English at Homildon Hill and one of his testicles (!!!) at the Battle of Shrewsbury. Maybe he was named "The Loser" because he lost bits of himself on the battlefield? Nevertheless, at the Battle of Verneuil (between England and France, 1424), he lost his life.

1. Séamus an Chaca
Alas for poor James II, perhaps England's most rubbish King. In 1685 he inherited a state that was peaceful, prosperous, and financially secure ... and yet he messed it all up faster in three years.

Never one to miss the opportunity for a strop, he chucked the Great Seal into the Thames and legged it to Ireland where he made some lovely new allies, before promptly deserting them. They showed their appreciation appropriately, and dubbed him Séamus an Chaca (or, in English, "James the S**t"). Charming!

What are some of your favourites? ;)
BBP
Village Elder

Re: Least Flattering, Worst, Most Embarrassing Royal Nicknames

Post by BBP »

Our king has his birthday today. In his youth he was known as "Prins Oliebol" (a round, deep-fried dumpling we traditionally eat around the end of the year - as an insult it means fat and stupid). Time will tell what will happen and what nicknames he'll get, possibly "Vorst Vastgoed" (King Real Estate) due to his penchant of building expensive houses abroad with tax-payer's money
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 am Our king has his birthday today. In his youth he was known as "Prins Oliebol" (a round, deep-fried dumpling we traditionally eat around the end of the year - as an insult it means fat and stupid). Time will tell what will happen and what nicknames he'll get, possibly "Vorst Vastgoed" (King Real Estate) due to his penchant of building expensive houses abroad with tax-payer's money
It's this guy, correct?

(And since I've glanced at the wikipedia entry: since his only qualification is as a Military Pilot, how the hell can he be a reservist for the Dutch Airforce, Navy, Army and the Royal Marechaussee (i.e. civilian police force)?? I mean ... if you're a reservist and your country needs you, you go. OK. But how can he perform all these duties, all at once? *shrug*

Also ... *scrolls* ... that's a lotp of honours and awards. "International Olympic Committee: Recipient of the Gold Olympic Order"??? For what? What has he actually done to deserve this award? Sorry, I'm curious. *reads the article* Hmm-mm ... "The IOC has awarded its highest honor to Dutch King Willem-Alexander after he relinquished his IOC membership to focus on matters at home." Um ... isn't that what he should be doing -- focusing on matters in the Netherlands? :-\ Why is he getting an award for that?

Sorry; I'm confused and curious. ;) It may be that he's actually a wise and good king, but I just don't know him very well.

One last thing: since being the king of the Netherlands is a purely symbolic role, what does it actually involve? Is there any work to do, or is it simply jetsetting around the world, waving regally and making speeches, like the late Queen Elizabeth? ;)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Meeting other mainly ceremonial heads of state is part of it. The previous monarch had a minute amount of power but after the one time she actually used it in 2010 I think, it was stripped from the royals and now they're professional wavers.

He decided to marry the (beautiful and intelligent) Máxima, daughter of Jorge Videla, the Secretary of Agriculture under the Argentinian dictatorship of Vidéla. In that context he made a lot of not-so-handy remarks - among others he claimed that the role of his father-in-law to be was exxaggerated and that he didn't know about any death flights or other horrible things the regime did - hinting towards an anonynous letter posted in an Argentinan newspaper claiming this - that letter turned out to have been written by none other than the dictator himself.
Prompting his fiancée at the time to prompt "he was a little dumb". That phrase got stuck and was often quoted in satire for years to come. In the end it was settled by not allowing Jorge Zorreguieta to his daughter's wedding.

Wouldn't say he's stopped doing that. When he was asked why his daughters all have names starting with A, he quipped it was for the "triple-A status". Cute - if Triple A hadn't been the name of the death squadron that plagued Argentina under the Vidéla-regime - you know that very regime that his father-in-law was part of.

I guess the bright side is the wedding did something for awareness of the Argentinan plight among the Dutch.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Wow. :shock: Now that I've read a bit more about the Videla regime on wikipedia ... yeesh. *makes a grimacing face* That makes me feel ... a little better about Australia's nominal head-of-state, the late Queen (and the present King).

I can't say they never did anything dumb or horrible, but at least they both tried/trying hard to look dignified and not say anything embarrassing (unlike our politicians).

Now, there's some good advice for kings and politicians: try to look dignified, and if you have nothing to say, don't say anything. But better yet, have something to say and say it, no matter what they ask you. Pay no attention to the question. If they ask the question again, you can say "Let's not trivialize matters. We must consider...", or "I think the real question is...", and then make a statement of your own.

I hope at least Máxima hasn't said or done embarrassing things. :)

Oh, wait ... I just read an article in Spiegel about Willem-Alexander's coronation, back in 2013. Three things the article says struck me as a little odd:

1. "...the 46-year-old will now attempt something his mother never did: to be a thoroughly modern monarch." By "modern", I assume they mean "casual". But being casual with the press is dangerous. You can say things without thinking, things you don't mean to say, that you later have to apologise for. Is that how W-A strikes you?

2. "Today the people are pleasantly surprised. They admire his work at the United Nations, where he is responsible for water management, and they adore his family." Is that still true? If so, I am pleasantly surprised. It sounds like he works hard at the UN. Or have things changed?

3. "...the Orange-Nassau dynasty is becoming less influential and more representative -- more Scandinavian." This is interesting to me. I've read several books about Scandinavia's history (particularly Iceland), and I've noticed how for most of its history, Scandinavian countries mostly squabbled with each other: Norway conquers Iceland, Denmark conquers Sweden, then Sweden conquers Denmark, then both of them gang up on Norway, and so on. :| Things are more settled now, of course. So ... how are Dutch monarchs becoming more Scandinavian? I'm curious. :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

He's most definitely a person who's acting casual and saying things he shouldn't. Woldn't know a thing about his UN work (what was the Clue quip again, "homicidal individuals with a delusion of grandeur"? )

But yes, the female royals are doing everything to get a good public standing, three of them opened a second-hand clothing store and countess Eloise is very popular on social media. As far as I know, as a republican I have no interest in royalty except for royalties on my music which isn't going to happen.
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Fair enough. (And you should definitely get royalties on your music! Who says you shouldn't? =( Your contract should guarantee you royalties!) :)

In the past few days, I came across a Pope (among a series of popes) that is simply hilarious. ;) This is John XII, who was Pope in 955 AD and was assassinated in 964.

His birthdate (and even year) is uncertain, but when he became Pope, he was roughly 18. Eighteen. Imagine becoming the spiritual leader of all of Europe, given all that power, at the age of eighteen. John (born Octavian) was related to the powerful Counts of Tusculum, which probably explains how he got the job.

For the next (roughly) 9 years, John got to indulge his tastes for gambling (especially horses), wine, women and song ... well, we don't know about song - but women? Definitely. All that didn't leave him much time for ruling, but definitely got a lot of people angry with him -- some of them very powerful, including Otto the Great of Germany.

The story is that he died while in bed with another man's wife, his death being caused either by apoplexy or at the hands of the outraged husband. No-one knows for sure what the husband did, but I'd bet it involved beating the Pope or throwing him out the window. (Why not both?)

So ... we've had made-for-TV movies about famous dynasties, especially the Tudors and the Borgias. Why not have one about the papal dark age (roughly 904 to 964 AD)? Most of the popes at that time were stupid, greedy or useless, and many of them were. We could even include Pope Stephen IV (who was in the job for less than a year -- May 896 to April 897 -- and who is infamous for embarrassing the papacy with his bizarre Cadaver Synod). It'd be spectacular: sex, drugs and rock 'n roll! (Well, maybe not -- but definitely sex, alcohol and Gregorian chants. Wait, the Gregorian chants probably won't help. Maybe there could be some musicians playing lewd songs on the lute). ;)

As long as we're including Stephen IV, let's look at the decade between April 896 (when Pope Formosus died) and February 904. In less than 8 years, there were no fewer than 7 Popes, two of them only lasting about 2-3 weeks in the job. The last of them, Leo V was deposed and replaced by a Pope called Sergius -- by some accounts ruthless and efficient, by other dismal and disgraceful. So, no surprise what happened to him... ;)

As long as it's a hypothetical TV show, I have a name that'll sell it: A Game of Popes. ;) Just like "A Game of Thrones", everybody is either backstabbing each other or enjoying themselves and getting executed. :twisted: What do you think?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:48 am As long as it's a hypothetical TV show, I have a name that'll sell it: A Game of Popes. ;)
You joke, but someone is actually developing a game called Pope Simulator.

Why? Because people are weird, that's why!

People have created all sorts of nonsense, such as Toilet Simulator, Grass Simulator, and Bum Simulator ("bum" as in "someone who's homeless," not the slang term for your butt, although I imagine Toilet Simulator takes care of that one).
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

DeadPoolX wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:33 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:48 am As long as it's a hypothetical TV show, I have a name that'll sell it: A Game of Popes. ;)
You joke, but someone is actually developing a game called Pope Simulator.

Why? Because people are weird, that's why!

People have created all sorts of nonsense, such as Toilet Simulator, Grass Simulator, and Bum Simulator ("bum" as in "someone who's homeless," not the slang term for your butt, although I imagine Toilet Simulator takes care of that one).
Sigh. Why does anyone need a firearm in a grass simulation game? To shoot a cow? :roll:

Of all these, the "Pope Simulator" looks like it has the most taste. (Not that it's much of a competition). :roll:

The "Bum Simulator" looks like it's designed to appeal to ... um ... hmm. Hold on, I'll think of somebody who'll actually want this game. Bound to be someone. ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:19 am Of all these, the "Pope Simulator" looks like it has the most taste. (Not that it's much of a competition). :roll:
I imagine some Catholics might have an issue with it, but depending on how it's done, it could either be something of a learning experience (both good and bad) or something that outright mocks the Vatican entirely. Regardless, I am eagerly awaiting the release of this game because of the shitstorm that's likely to ensure shortly thereafter.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:19 am The "Bum Simulator" looks like it's designed to appeal to ... um ... hmm. Hold on, I'll think of somebody who'll actually want this game. Bound to be someone. ;)
YouTubers. Getting your game played by YouTubers a lot is something many developers, especially indie devs, really aim for because it's considered a massive amount of free promotion and most of the time these "let's play" videos aren't reviews, but people just messing around or attempting to break the game by being weird.

While there's nothing inherently wrong with this, it becomes problematic when devs start designing games specifically for YouTubers. It then becomes less about making a good game or catering to a specific audience, but about how many YouTubers will pick it up and what sort of exposure you can get as an indie development company.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

DeadPoolX wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:41 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:19 am Of all these, the "Pope Simulator" looks like it has the most taste. (Not that it's much of a competition). :roll:
I imagine some Catholics might have an issue with it, but depending on how it's done, it could either be something of a learning experience (both good and bad) or something that outright mocks the Vatican entirely. Regardless, I am eagerly awaiting the release of this game because of the shitstorm that's likely to ensure shortly thereafter.
I can imagine. Thousands of commentators taking to the internet to post how this game is "THE TOOL OF THE DEVIL!!!111one!!" etc. (except with worse spelling). Something like that? ;)
DeadPoolX wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:41 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:19 am The "Bum Simulator" looks like it's designed to appeal to ... um ... hmm. Hold on, I'll think of somebody who'll actually want this game. Bound to be someone. ;)
YouTubers. Getting your game played by YouTubers a lot is something many developers, especially indie devs, really aim for because it's considered a massive amount of free promotion and most of the time these "let's play" videos aren't reviews, but people just messing around or attempting to break the game by being weird.

While there's nothing inherently wrong with this, it becomes problematic when devs start designing games specifically for YouTubers. It then becomes less about making a good game or catering to a specific audience, but about how many YouTubers will pick it up and what sort of exposure you can get as an indie development company.
What is it with people who think that just because they're "on the internet" (or at least YouTube), they can do and say just as they like, with no consequences? :roll:

YouTubers is a good description. Just like potatoes (tubers), they have no eyes to see with.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:31 am

What is it with people who think that just because they're "on the internet" (or at least YouTube), they can do and say just as they like, with no consequences? :roll:

YouTubers is a good description. Just like potatoes (tubers), they have no eyes to see with.
For my birthday, I got a book with squirrel pictures and inspirational quotes. One of the quotes is: "Before social media, if you didn't know anything about a subject, you'd keep your mouth shut."

Indeed.
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”