Grand Poobah

Re: Break The Spine.

Post by Collector »

01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

There've been several attempts at doing either a TV series or movie over the years. I just hope if it happens they do it right.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

It seems as if you need to buy Pro to get any more details from IMDB. Didn't do any Googling to find more elsewhere.

dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

The anouncement about it is on Anne's site, but that was a year ago.
http://collider.com/david-hayter-dragon ... ern/85654/
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Interesting. It has been years since I have read a Dragonriders of Pern book. I have just recently become aware of a movie being done from a book that I really like; Joe Haldeman's Hugo and Nebula award winning The Forever War being done by Ridley Scott, of all people! It is slated for release next year, so I hope that means that it is far enough along in development that it will happen. I know that there were a number of projects that were in the works that were scuttled after the crash in '08. Apparently he put off doing Brave New World to do this.
Ridley Scott wrote:I first pursued The Forever War 25 years ago, and the book has only grown more timely and relevant since, It's a science-fiction epic, a bit of The Odyssey by way of Blade Runner, built upon a brilliant, disorienting premise.

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Skipped the bulk of Anne Rice's book and returned it to the book cafe.
Received nothing but books for my birthday, finished two of them, something with observations about the Dutch language and an utterly thrilling read by Pauline Butcher: Freak Out! My Life With Frank Zappa.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

BBP wrote:Skipped the bulk of Anne Rice's book and returned it to the book cafe.
What Anne Rice's novel was that?
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Interview With The Vampire. I guess I'm not a consumptive reader, too scared to waste time.
(continues playing Super Crazy Guitar Maniac Deluxe 4)
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I'm currently reading a book by Sally Gunning called 'Bound'. It's a sequel to her first book set on Cape Cod in the 1760's, called 'The Widow's War'. There's a 3rd book called the 'Rebellion of Jane Clarke'. I found this author when I googled for books set on Cape Cod. I spent parts of every summer of my childhood on the Cape with my parents, Grandmother and various and sundry great-aunts, great-uncles, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Excellent reads for anyone interested in the pre-Revolutionary War period or in strong women in an age when we had almost no legal rights.

She also writes a mystery series set on the Cape, modern day.....also good reads.
http://sallygunning.com/
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Carl Sagan: "One of the greatest gifts adults can give--to their offspring and to their society--is to read to children".
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

dotkel50 wrote:Carl Sagan: "One of the greatest gifts adults can give--to their offspring and to their society--is to read to children".
True!

After hearing someone desperate for publicity making a detailed claim that Jack the Ripper was a woman, I decided to re-read Donald Rumbelow's The Complete Jack The Ripper. It's a great read that manages to name all necessary evidence and stay objective.
Skip to new scripts
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

dotkel50 wrote:Carl Sagan: "One of the greatest gifts adults can give--to their offspring and to their society--is to read to children".
My mom read to me when I was a child and it has become some of the most cherrished memories I have. Even when I had become an adult we would take turn reading to each other, when the others voice grew tired. I will definatly do the same if I ever become a parent :-).

Unfortunatly I do not have the energy to read so much atm. I think last time I posted here I had just begun the island of Dr Moreau, and alas i have yet to finish that one. When I feel more up to it, I would very much like to read some of the classics like Robert Louis Stevenson, Daniel Dafoe and Jules Verne and so on...
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm currently reading The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England by Ian Mortimer. A very good read so far, if a little dry - very good pop history about the Elizabethan era. I absolutely loved Mortimer's earlier volume, The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England, so I picked this up expecting more of the same. So far it's fairly good - or maybe I'm just a bit disappointed because I already know quite a lot about the Elizabethan era. In any case, I'd recommend both these books - it just depends which era you're interested in. ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote:I'm currently reading The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England by Ian Mortimer. A very good read so far, if a little dry - very good pop history about the Elizabethan era. I absolutely loved Mortimer's earlier volume, The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England, so I picked this up expecting more of the same. So far it's fairly good - or maybe I'm just a bit disappointed because I already know quite a lot about the Elizabethan era. In any case, I'd recommend both these books - it just depends which era you're interested in. ;)
I've read Mortimer's Medieval guide and thought it was really fascinating. I'll have to see if the Elizabethan (and other time periods) are available at the library.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Currently reading: Hermann Hesse - Demian. After Steppenwolf I got me some four other Hesse novels, and this one is also thoroughly recommendable.
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”