Break The Spine.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Break The Spine.

Post by Tawmis »

I am kind of bummed. I have no books out there that interest me at the moment. Was powering through some of the Star Wars novels that take place post Return of the Jedi; which were good, but my interest (in books) generally doesn't sit with scifi. Much more of a fantasy person, but a very picky one. I am just really waiting out the next DRAGONSHIPS book. This wait is murder. Literally.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Last book I finished was an Illustrated History Of Britain. Was a great read; plus I now understand a lot more jokes in Are You Being Served and Blackadder. Thing is, I told a Brit; and he is interested in reading a comprehensive Dutch history, and asked me for reading tips. Since all books on Dutch history I read are actually in Dutch I couldn't answer him: does anybody here know of a good book (in English) with a range from the prehistorical ages to the depillarization?
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Most of what I know about British history comes from learning world history, so my knowledge of British history is pretty sketchy beyond those parts that are of import to outside of just Britain.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:I am kind of bummed. I have no books out there that interest me at the moment.
I often feel the same way. Truth be told, I rarely read fiction nowadays. My interests are more geared towards non-fiction, which does little to relax me, but does at least make for some interesting reading.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

After my mother passed away in 1989 my brother and I were going through her things and found the following poem cut out of the newspaper:

The Reading Mother by Strickland Gillilan
----------------------------------------------

I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea.
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth;
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.
I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.
I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness lent with his final breath.
I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-
Stories that stir with an upward touch.
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a Mother who read to me.

She loved that poem because her mother read to her and she read to us and we read to my nephew, and hopefully someday we'll all be reading to my nephew's children. With Mother's Day approaching that's how I always remember her....with a book in her hands.
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

My mom is a real reader as well. I definitely learned my love of books from her and we read a lot of the same books.

As for current books, I've just finished the final book in a trilogy by Galen Beckett that I really, really enjoyed. Normally, I just get books from the library, but I'm contemplating buying this trilogy. For some reason it just really struck a good balance of elements for me and I enjoyed the writing style.

Now, I'm not sure what to move on to...
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote:
Tawmis wrote:I am kind of bummed. I have no books out there that interest me at the moment.
I often feel the same way. Truth be told, I rarely read fiction nowadays. My interests are more geared towards non-fiction, which does little to relax me, but does at least make for some interesting reading.
Interesting. So what is it about non-fiction that draws you to it? For me, I read to get away from the world. Which is why I never truly touch non-fiction, unless it's like a Biography on Tolkien or something...
Maiandra wrote:My mom is a real reader as well. I definitely learned my love of books from her and we read a lot of the same books.
My Father was a power reader as well. I think he was very happy when the 4th Grade Teacher read The Hobbit to the class and enthralled me into the world of reading back then.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:Interesting. So what is it about non-fiction that draws you to it? For me, I read to get away from the world. Which is why I never truly touch non-fiction, unless it's like a Biography on Tolkien or something...
Simple. Thirst for knowledge. History, for example, gives you insight to why things are the way they are today. If you are ever curious about the world around you, there is a ton of material to explore. If a scientific treatise is above your head, you can usually find a review that can give you the gist of it. But then, my interests are pretty wide ranging from various sciences (especially astronomy/astrophysics) physical anthropology, archeology, history and to a lesser degree, linguistics.

Of course, I don't know what DPX is reading.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:
Tawmis wrote:Interesting. So what is it about non-fiction that draws you to it? For me, I read to get away from the world. Which is why I never truly touch non-fiction, unless it's like a Biography on Tolkien or something...
Simple. Thirst for knowledge. History, for example, gives you insight to why things are the way they are today. If you are ever curious about the world around you, there is a ton of material to explore. If a scientific treatise is above your head, you can usually find a review that can give you the gist of it. But then, my interests are pretty wide ranging from various sciences (especially astronomy/astrophysics) physical anthropology, archeology, history and to a lesser degree, linguistics.
Of course, I don't know what DPX is reading.
See, I could read about the Civil War and the American Revolution; both of those are an interest to me. But too much beyond that, in terms of history, and it falls off my interest radar. And yes, science is way above my head (which is why I think I have a problem with science fiction books, when they try to get all science-like to explain things! It's much easier when it's "magic" in fantasy - it just works because it's effing magic!) :lol:
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Lovely verse, Dot! Dad always read to my sister and me. I cherish those moments. :)

I'm Tawm's exact opposite in that I just can't bear to read fantasy, mystery, thriller or romantic goo. One of my favourite films is Tales from Earthsea, but I just can't get beyond the first page of the book: it's just... like eating caviar once a week instead of hotpot every day. But non-fiction, that's what cracks my bookshelves: from language courses to my science encyclopedia to art books to knitting books to composer biographies.
Some of these are even more hilarious than any comedy book. Like "the Official Rock Paper Scissors Strategy Guide". Or my 1955 etiquette book for youngsters, "Savoir Vivre", has some bizarre plays for humour. On behaviour in the street, it notes: "Never stare at people of different colour, clothing, accent or appearance. After all you can't help being on the right side of the fence in the zoo." :o
Tawm, just remember: scientia potentia est!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Tawm, just remember: scientia potentia est!
I can barely remember to put on clothes some mornings (much to the dismay of my co-workers) and you want me to remember something that isn't even English? :lol:
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Oh come on! Some coworkers must be thrilled by that! :D
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:I can barely remember to put on clothes some mornings (much to the dismay of my co-workers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF3o5gXWZEU&t=3m16s

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:Oh come on! Some coworkers must be thrilled by that! :D
No, I don't think they are! :lol:
Collector wrote:
Tawmis wrote:I can barely remember to put on clothes some mornings (much to the dismay of my co-workers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF3o5gXWZEU&t=3m16s
That's pretty funny! (Though I think my favorite was the dude flying the crashing ship, and the alien slowly appears in the front window) :lol:
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:
Interesting. So what is it about non-fiction that draws you to it? For me, I read to get away from the world. Which is why I never truly touch non-fiction, unless it's like a Biography on Tolkien or something...
Like Collector said, it's a "thirst for knowledge." My interests span a wide variety of topics, ranging from politics to history to science. It just depends on my mood and what books are available.

Sometimes the books I read are somewhat odd. For instance, Maia's seen me eat breakfast while reading The Little Book of Pandemics: 50 of the World's Most Virulent Plagues and Infectious Diseases. Not exactly what most people would consider appetizing reading material, but it doesn't bother me.

None of this means I never read fiction. I have in the past and enjoyed it, but for some reason most fictional books don't interest me.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”