Industry Award.

Talk about anything you want here
stuntology
Sierra Obsessed

Re: Industry Award.

Post by stuntology »

I'd agree that 4 and 6 are probably the best, but I'd rank 3 up REALLY close to them, if not in line with them.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Collector wrote:If you read the whole thread I brought it up only because he chastised adeyke for not not wanting to play Maniac Mansion. You know, glass houses.
I read the thread before posting. It's just I've noticed some individuals here jumping on those who haven't played or completed certain Sierra titles, and to be honest, it's a little irksome.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote:
Collector wrote:If you read the whole thread I brought it up only because he chastised adeyke for not not wanting to play Maniac Mansion. You know, glass houses.
I read the thread before posting. It's just I've noticed some individuals here jumping on those who haven't played or completed certain Sierra titles, and to be honest, it's a little irksome.
I think what Collector is getting at (and pretty much in jest, or so how I read it) - Rath had teased adeyke about not playing Maniac Mansion. So Collector had brought up how Rath had not played KQ6. So there's an irony (again, humorous is how I took it) - that Rath would be "appalled" (but not really), that adeyke hadn't played Maniac Mansion, so Collector (who clearly loves himself some KQ6) was acting "appalled" (but not really) that Rath hadn't played KQ6. All in jest, the whole what's good for the goose is good for the gander or whatever.

But I don't think anyone is really (or has?) crammed any game down someone else's throat (or not in a serious manner). I mean, I am sure I have probably come on here saying, "You MUST play Dragon Age!" or "You must play Realms of Arkania!" or "You must play Mass Effect!" or "You must play Marvel LEGO!" or... Well, whatever game I may be super into at the time - I have probably tried to encourage people to play it.

Why? Because I enjoyed it. I am bursting with enthusiasm! This is a gaming community! Just sharing some passion and love. But not for one single moment, would I ever take offense if someone said, "Yeah, I ain't going to play Dragon Age/Realms of Arkania/Mass Effect/Marvel Lego/King's Quest IV (or whatever) because it ain't my style."

Okay, so I came in waving my flag of this month's most awesome game; you (figuratively, not literally) say you don't want to play it (for whatever reason). Cool with me.

I don't think anyone takes offense (or that I have noticed?)

And I suppose, it being a Sierra related forum (specifically), and KQ6 being "hailed THE adventure game" (by just about everyone on here - again, I still think it's KQ4!) - it's no surprise someone would say, that someone (who hasn't played it) should give KQ6 a swing - especially if they stopped at KQ5, as KQ5 and KQ6 are night and day different.

You gave KQ6 a swing; didn't like it, or feel like you're not missing much, awesome! I can respect that.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

stuntology wrote:I'd agree that 4 and 6 are probably the best, but I'd rank 3 up REALLY close to them, if not in line with them.
I absolutely LOVED KQ3... once Mahananananananana is turned into a cat. Up until then, that game is a nightmare. :lol:
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

Going only by the official releases, I'd put KQ3 below KQ4 and KQ6. If we also included AGDI's KQ3 Redux, however, I'm no longer sure about that ranking. The remake has great graphics and music, and it did a lot to smooth over some of the weak parts of the original KQ3 (e.g. needing to walk up the mountain maze each time, possibly running out of food to feed the wizard, the spells as copy protection, and the time spent just waiting on the ship).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yay! I've played KQ6 now (and beat the game with a perfect score!) :D

I know that Jane Jensen did the dialogue, but think I can see which parts she was particularly keen of. The Catacombs (with the Minotaur) and the Land of the Dead are especially evocative and suggestive of Jane's 'style'. On the other hand, I thought the Isle of Wonder was my least favourite part; on the other other hand, I enjoyed the 'literal' bookworm, and the literal dangling participle, etc... ;)

I'm a bit confused, though, as to why the bees on the Isle of Wonder didn't attack Alexander. *shrug* Oh well...
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I like that. Bees are very peaceful creatures and won't attack you en masse unless you smell of flowers. Wasps are the buggers that chase frightened BBPs around, but they always work alone, not in a team.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

The dangling participle is actually one of the things that bugs me about KQ6. Neither the sentence used to catch it nor its manner of speech has anything to do with actual grammatical dangling participles.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”