Post by Collector »

It's a pun.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Board (Bored?) Games!

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Who in the world is Terry? *confused*
As Collector said - it's a pun (play on words).

So Terry is typically a girl's name.

The picture has a guy saying, "Your name is Terry? That's a girl's name."

The next image is, "You have died from dissing Terry."

(I am pretty sure the slang "dissing" has made it to Aussie - where it means making fun of, mocking, insulting, etc).

When the big thing in the game was "You have died of dysentery." (Which sounds like, "You have died of dissing Terry").

#Puns
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

It is just a setup to the pun "You have died of dissing Terry," a play on the Oregon Trail infamous losing message "You have died of dysentery."
you-have-died-of-dysentery.jpg

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, okay. I haven't played "Oregon Trail", so I've never heard of "You have died of dysentery". Thanks for the explanation. :)

Oh, and by the way - yes, I know what "to diss" means. ;)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Ah, okay. I haven't played "Oregon Trail", so I've never heard of "You have died of dysentery". Thanks for the explanation. :)
I think The Oregon Trail was really only known to Americans. For instance, Maia had never heard of the game before I mentioned it.

I'm still waiting for TOT to appear on GOG. The closest thing I have to it is The Organ Trail: Director's Cut on Steam, which is essentially The Oregon Trail, but with zombies set in modern day.

BTW, if anyone here is interested in TOT:DC, I wrote a review about it (for an actual review site) back in 2015, so reading it might give you some insight into what's different from TOT and what's similar.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote:
Rath Darkblade wrote:Ah, okay. I haven't played "Oregon Trail", so I've never heard of "You have died of dysentery". Thanks for the explanation. :)
I think The Oregon Trail was really only known to Americans. For instance, Maia had never heard of the game before I mentioned it.
I'm still waiting for TOT to appear on GOG. The closest thing I have to it is The Organ Trail: Director's Cut on Steam, which is essentially The Oregon Trail, but with zombies set in modern day.
BTW, if anyone here is interested in TOT:DC, I wrote a review about it (for an actual review site) back in 2015, so reading it might give you some insight into what's different from TOT and what's similar.

I assume, you mean the remake of The Oregon Trail? Because wasn't the original only on like the Apple ][ or whatever? I have seen some screens that show a ... uh, "more modern" look to the game (for lack of a better word, because the graphics aren't modern anymore - but more modern than the original I remember). :)
Attachments
This is what I remember...
This is what I remember...
But I've seen DOSBox versions of this.
But I've seen DOSBox versions of this.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:

I assume, you mean the remake of The Oregon Trail? Because wasn't the original only on like the Apple ][ or whatever? I have seen some screens that show a ... uh, "more modern" look to the game (for lack of a better word, because the graphics aren't modern anymore - but more modern than the original I remember). :)
If The Oregon Trail was on GOG, it could be any version. I've seen Apple, Amiga, C64, and DOS.

BTW, are you getting The Oregon Trail and The Organ Trail (the latter is about zombies) confused? I was talking about the The Organ Trail when showing a link to Steam and my review.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

First on Atari then on Apple then DOS.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: If The Oregon Trail was on GOG, it could be any version. I've seen Apple, Amiga, C64, and DOS.
BTW, are you getting The Oregon Trail and The Organ Trail (the latter is about zombies) confused? I was talking about the The Organ Trail when showing a link to Steam and my review.
I'm not getting'em confused. :) I have played the Organ Trail before too (I'd say... a year ago?)... there's a web based one... where, for example, you're driving in the car - and you can wait out a pack of zombies, or drive through them?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I love how this thread over the course of two pages turns into a video game discussion! :lol:

Was this game an inspiration for GoldRush?
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote:
Tawmis wrote:I have this game (Betrayal at House on the Hill); opened it up, read part of the rules, and closed it. It seems to have a pretty massive learning curve; I am sure once you play it, it's easy. But man. Everyone always talks about how awesome this game is. I may look on Youtube on how to play it.
I can see that happening. The worst part about the game is figuring out the battles, and I always dread it when a newcomer becomes the traitor because then we have to keep explaining to them how to defeat us. It's worth getting over the curve just to give it a few goes, though.
You should do a "How To Play" video... ;)
BBP wrote:I love how this thread over the course of two pages turns into a video game discussion! :lol:
Was this game an inspiration for GoldRush?
Hah! As long as there's a good discussion, I am good with it! (And it doesn't stop someone from jumping in about another board game!)

As for being an inspiration for Goldrush - I doubt it... Oregon Trail is absolutely brutal. It's about having enough clothes, wheels, bullets, food, and making various trades, and hunting, and crossing rivers, losing Ox, people dying of disease...

And to speak of games - I know for a FACT I have mentioned these somewhere else on the forum - but since we have a thread specific to board games...

Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert. Both of these games are INCREDIBLY fun and INCREDIBLY intense. It is a Co-Op board game that REQUIRES that you work together if you hope to succeed. I personally like Forbidden Island better - the intensity of the island sinking really brings the game's level of "Serious guys! Stop messing around!" level. :lol:
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I've just played Oregon Trail (at Archive.org) and managed to finish it with 4 survivors. As a banker. Didn't have much trouble besides the fire in the cart and a thief stealing food - the one casualty I'd named after my sister died of exhaustion, the one I named after my boyfriend got lost, the one I named after my father had cholera, the one I named after one of my favourite singers had a broken leg and I had a snake bite.

Scotland Yard turned out to be too troublesome - the trouble being that the digits are too hard to read to keep X well-hidden. It can be played with 2 players, maybe Dad and I will try that sometime.

Some games I love that haven't been mentioned yet - possibly because they're a bit more obscure - are Das Nilpferd in der Achterbahn - Hippo In The Rollercoaster, great for girls in the 12-16 age group, sadly never got to play it with more people of the same sense of humour; and Cafe International, where you have to place guests of different nationalities at a limited amount of tables.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: I've just played Oregon Trail (at Archive.org) and managed to finish it with 4 survivors. As a banker. Didn't have much trouble besides the fire in the cart and a thief stealing food - the one casualty I'd named after my sister died of exhaustion, the one I named after my boyfriend got lost, the one I named after my father had cholera, the one I named after one of my favourite singers had a broken leg and I had a snake bite.
That's pretty hilarious. (I frequently do the same thing when I play RPG games that have more than 1 character in the party; I name them after people I know).
BBP wrote: Scotland Yard turned out to be too troublesome - the trouble being that the digits are too hard to read to keep X well-hidden. It can be played with 2 players, maybe Dad and I will try that sometime.
I've heard Scotland Yard is awesome; but a bit tricky. Not played it myself.

There's a game called [url=http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dark-tower-game]Dark Towerp/url] that I used to have, that I always "remember" being awesome... Wish I still had it, but these days (as you can see from the link) fetches a pretty insane price.
BBP wrote: Some games I love that haven't been mentioned yet - possibly because they're a bit more obscure - are Das Nilpferd in der Achterbahn - Hippo In The Rollercoaster, great for girls in the 12-16 age group, sadly never got to play it with more people of the same sense of humour; and Cafe International, where you have to place guests of different nationalities at a limited amount of tables.
I've not heard of any of these games.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”