What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
BBP
Village Elder

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by BBP »

Went through Castle of Dr Brain, am currently in Island at the robot programming gritting my teeth over the monitor robot, and am about to check out some of the things to explore in the LSL1 hintbook.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Moved on to Island of Dr Brain, which I'm trying to get done for 1000 points, and today I bought Simon the Sorcerer Puzzle Pack.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Finished Island of Dr Brain with 1K points, which means you have to do every puzzle four times on each difficulty level. This equals 36 Word Searches. :shock: But you do get a nice little surprise in the credits.
Am about to finish up on my Island Of Dr Brain companion, now that I have all quotes and books and all.
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Currently: Gears of War 3.

And loving it.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Conquest of Camelot. Currently at a tough minigame Black Knight, but it gets the prize for the best easter egg!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote:Currently: Gears of War 3.

And loving it.
I just beat GEARS OF WAR 3.
I can not EVER say enough good things about this game. The entire game was mind blowing. How everything came together. The story was fantastic. The characters were great. And some of the most amazing story telling... and music... for a "shooter game."
I absolutely love this game.
I will be replaying the different modes now. And trying to beat it on Nightmare, which I can see being extremely difficult in some spots...
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Finally, I was able to get my head back into Gray Matter and complete it. Although I really loved the story, voice acting, and music, I found the cut-scenes detracted from the immersion of the game. Going from an interactive, (sort of) 3-D game to 2-D drawings that didn't show characters speaking and acting really took away from the impact, especially nearer to the end of the game.

The art itself was (inconsistently) good, but I felt like it was taking a shortcut and a step back to use it for what was supposed to be the more emotional parts of the game. While it didn't ruin the game for me, it was disappointing.

That said, I liked the characters and found the ideas in the game quite fascinating. I also found myself wishing David was able to make more clear contact with Laura. Although I suppose nothing could have come of it, since it's pretty hard to overcome the barrier of death. Still, I'm a romantic at times and I felt bad for him.

I'm not sure what further ideas Jane could explore with those characters, but I wouldn't mind seeing them again. I definitely enjoyed the complexity of the game story, but I wouldn't expect less from Jane Jensen.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I'm glad that you liked the game, Maia :)

As you may have noticed, after the closing credits (or perhaps just after the final cutscene, I don't remember) there is a very brief snippet of what a possible sequel could be about. However, since I don't think that the game sold pretty well, I don't know if DTP actually plans to produce a sequel. Like you said, though, I'd definitely like to see more of these characters (perhaps with 3D cutscenes, yes ;)).
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I did notice that snippet, Andrea. I wasn't sure if it was relating to a sequel, or if it was supposed to be hinting at something that wasn't uncovered in the game itself. Since Gray Matter tends to be more subtle, it wasn't easy to know.

It's a shame that it didn't sell very well, but it doesn't surprise me, since it doesn't seem to have had much marketing. Unfortunately, it's probably not the kind of game most non-Adventure fans would take a chance on. I still think it would have been better on Steam, where it could have potentially had more exposure.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maiandra wrote: It's a shame that it didn't sell very well, but it doesn't surprise me, since it doesn't seem to have had much marketing. Unfortunately, it's probably not the kind of game most non-Adventure fans would take a chance on. I still think it would have been better on Steam, where it could have potentially had more exposure.
Yeah, Steam would've definitely given it it a lot more exposure. At the very least, it would've been more widely available.

A good example of its limited availability is Canada: you can't find Gray Matter in stores here nor can you get it on Amazon.ca (Maia and I bought it on Amazon.com, but that means higher shipping costs). Even in the US it's limited to Walmart if you want to buy it in-store.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Besides the limited resources for development, it seems like one of the biggest failures with Gray Matter is the whacked distribution of the game. I agree, something like Steam would have mostly addressed this. It could have made the game a lot more profitable for them.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

My wife picked up X-Men: Destiny for me, without me even asking. I knew the game had just come out, but I hadn't heard anything (and most super hero games pretty much miss the mark). However, I am pleasantly surprised how fun this game is. Is it some magnificent spell binding story? No. But it's pretty fun, because you get to pick one of three characters (one is who pro mutant, one who doesn't care, and one who is anti- X-Men) and then - as the story progresses, you get to pick what powers you want (no matter which character you pick), and then you can also do side missions for the X-Men or Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (no matter which character you pick) and gain faction. Depending on the characters you pick, they have different responses while they're doing said missions. (For example, the pro Mutant X-Men character will complain if you do a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants side mission, "I am only doing this because these people need to be stopped! Don't think for a moment I'd ever side with you otherwise!") It's pretty much just a button smasher beyond that, doing various powers. It's a pretty fun, brainless, kind of game. I was pleasantly surprised and very amused.
audiodane
A Member Of Cap'n Tawmis' Scurvy Crew

Post by audiodane »

Currently playing "Zork: The Great Underground Empire" on my Sony Clie PEG-TJ25, in my spare time, which is about 10 minutes every few days.. I've not gotten very far. :) It's actually my first time every playing it, I have absolutely no hint books, never looked up a walkthrough, or anything. I'm also so far NOT drawing a map, though I have a feeling that will have to change at some point.

..dane
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

audiodane wrote:Currently playing "Zork: The Great Underground Empire" on my Sony Clie PEG-TJ25, in my spare time, which is about 10 minutes every few days.. I've not gotten very far. :) It's actually my first time every playing it, I have absolutely no hint books, never looked up a walkthrough, or anything. I'm also so far NOT drawing a map, though I have a feeling that will have to change at some point.

..dane
I envy you never having played it! Can't imagine playing it for the first time.

As for mapping, just wait till the maze, muhahahahaahhah!

Correction: Mazes!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Mozart: The Conspirators of Prague.
This far, aside from an annoying minigame that does not go well with mousepad, it's been a bit below Gray Matter difficulty level. Am curious to see how it turns out.
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”