What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
BBP
Village Elder

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by BBP »

In Colonel's Bequest, I got up to the point where Lillian, Rudy, Henry and Celie are the only ones left, and I'm too nervous to continue and resorting to a Youtube walkthrough. Scaring me out of a game is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Hate to admit it but at a number of times I was really annoyed by how stern the typing is. There were even a couple of occasions where I had to look up what the command was I needed, and a couple of occasions where I failed.
eg in the toy house where Lillian talks to teddies, there's something that has 7 stripes on it, and it's obvious to me she's ticking off victims but I have to let Laura know, so I type "look sign" and it says "it doesn't look special" and I can't think up another way to describe it, so I walk off and later find the word I needed was "board".
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

I just finished playing the Final Cut rerelease of A New Beginning by Daedalic Entertainment, the same people who created Deponia and The Whispered World. It's a very nice, well-paced, and gorgeous adventure game with a unique and cunning twist on the otherwise-stereotypical tale of "good guys must stop corrupt corporate executive from destroying the climate". It also has a cool and elegant version of the "one-cursor-does-everything" approach seen in King's Quest VII: if an object can be selected, hold down the left mouse button to see all possible options. The best part? A lot of the stuff you can select you can attempt to interact with. I'd definitely recommend taking a look at it!
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Expack3 wrote:I just finished playing the Final Cut rerelease of A New Beginning by Daedalic Entertainment, the same people who created Deponia and The Whispered World. It's a very nice, well-paced, and gorgeous adventure game with a unique and cunning twist on the otherwise-stereotypical tale of "good guys must stop corrupt corporate executive from destroying the climate". It also has a cool and elegant version of the "one-cursor-does-everything" approach seen in King's Quest VII: if an object can be selected, hold down the left mouse button to see all possible options. The best part? A lot of the stuff you can select you can attempt to interact with. I'd definitely recommend taking a look at it!
I picked up Final Cut: A New Beginning on sale at GOG a while back, but haven't played it yet. I saw a YouTube video of it and the animation looks very good, the voice acting is terrible. I'll probably turn voices off.

Right now I'm busy playing the DLC for Mass Effect 3, which include Omega, Leviathan and Citadel. The last two in particular are interesting, but for different reasons. In Leviathan you learn more about the history and origins of the Reapers and in Citadel, it's basically a big party during shore leave for everyone you know (assuming they haven't died). Citadel is basically fan service, but it's nice to see these characters have some downtime and relax, as opposed to the constant "life-or-death" struggles they're usually involved in.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Bad voice acting can nearly ruin an otherwise good game. Sanitarium comes to mind.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

I don't get much time for games these days, what with college and all, but right now I'm playing The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons for a weekly stream I do. I've also been playing the daily You Don't Know Jack game on Facebook. It's just as great as the originals!
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Jasef! Great to see ya. How's it going?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Collector wrote:Bad voice acting can nearly ruin an otherwise good game. Sanitarium comes to mind.
What about QfG5? ;) While most of the voice acting was fine, Elsa's (and especially Katrina's) voice acting in QfG5 was pretty atrocious. I have to say I enjoyed Toro, Gnome Ann and all the rest, though - particularly Magnum Opus. :P
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Rath Darkblade wrote:
Collector wrote:Bad voice acting can nearly ruin an otherwise good game. Sanitarium comes to mind.
What about QfG5? ;) While most of the voice acting was fine, Elsa's (and especially Katrina's) voice acting in QfG5 was pretty atrocious. I have to say I enjoyed Toro, Gnome Ann and all the rest, though - particularly Magnum Opus. :P
Sanitarium was far worse.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Jasef, great to see you! Hope all is going well for you!

Will chime in with the bad voice acting choir with added note that Dutch versions are often infinitely worse than anyone could imagine. Worst game voice-acting-wise I've encountered was in the Dutch Alice in Wonderland for CD-i (that's a remake of the notoriously hard Commodore game), but of the ones you know, well... I'm playing Dagger Of Amon Ra now and have turned off the voices. They're too much after five minutes, sorry. Oh, and Frankenstein - Through The Eyes Of The Monster.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Doing the NEVERWINTER Alpha/Beta testing, which has been pretty fun. Even the wife began playing it and now has a character of higher level than me!
:shock:
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

There's a new Neverwinter in the pipeline? O_o
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote:There's a new Neverwinter in the pipeline? O_o
... Have your not heard? It's an MMO. But it plays like old school Neverwinter. But 4th Edition D&D rules.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Thank you! No, I hadn't heard. However, I'm not interested in a MMO: I'd have preferred an old-school single-player RPG.

Oh, well. Is it good? Do you like it? Does it capture the feeling of the first two games?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote:Thank you! No, I hadn't heard. However, I'm not interested in a MMO: I'd have preferred an old-school single-player RPG.
Oh, well. Is it good? Do you like it? Does it capture the feeling of the first two games?
The MMO aspect of it is not required in that you do NOT need to group with people to get the main quest line done. You get companions that will help you. Sort of like Star Wars: The Old Republic. My wife is playing it - as I said, and she too was a fan of the original series - and keeps checking when the Beta is available to play - if that tells you anything. I don't think she's played an RPG game since the last NWN game (the first one, she never played NWN2).
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Thanks for the info! :)

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”