Jane Jensen opens herself to the public

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
gat
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Re: Jane Jensen opens herself to the public

Post by gat »

For those of you who haven't heard yet, Jane Jensen announced yesterday that her kickstarter campaign will now include two games, including a mystery game that she says fans will be happy to hear about (hints of a new GK game). Even if it is not a new GK game, two Jane Jensen games in a year sounds fantastic! :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I had mail from her actually, she replied to me that there will be PayPal support for community gaming after the Kickstarter has finished.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I've read the news and I'm ecstatic about it :D
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Not that it's a surprise, but Mystery Game X is clearly GK...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/100 ... 398e3b5c25
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I didn't see anything there that indicates Mystery Game X is GK. We can always hope though.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

dotkel50 wrote:I didn't see anything there that indicates Mystery Game X is GK. We can always hope though.
Well...

Bob is flying back from a Scarlet Furies gig in CA this weekend, and I want to wait til he's here to do a video update. But I did dig out some old treasures recently, and this seems a good time to share them with you. HAPPY SUNDAY!

And then proceeding to post about 10 GK related pictures. And only GK related pictures.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Yeah....her OLD treasures. The reason we're all excited about her new Studio and the Kickstarter campaign. I don't wanna jump to conclusions, hope you're right though.
Shakar
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by Shakar »

I'm with dot here. Don't want to get my hopes up. I would buy that after the success of Pinkerton Road and the two games, Jane would get the rights of GK from Activision.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

There might be the possibility for GK remakes before a GK4, much as Al Lowe has to do yet another remake of LSL1 before they will give him the rights to a new one. I am not completely sold on this idea, as the Sierra remakes did not sell so well. Then again, the differences in graphics and sound of SCI1 games and what could be done now may be more extreme than AGI to SCI0-1 or even more than SCI0 to SCI1. Also the part of targeted audience may be those that never experienced the original games when they were new and refuse to now because of the "primitive" graphics and sound.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Remakes would certainly be easier and less costly. They already have the music, dialogue, story, etc. Sure, they might want to redo some things, but the bulk of the work is already done.

As for primitive graphics and sound... well, none of the GK games look too good nowadays. GK1 and GK2 may have been visually impressive when they were released (GK3 was outdated from the start), but you'd have a very hard sell on your hands when marketing it to newcomers.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
UPtimist
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by UPtimist »

I really don't think the Mystery Game X has anything to do with GK. I mean, it's not GK4, that she has made clear (unless everything suddenly changed within a couple of days - and even so I don't see how she wouldn't use that name to really "milk the cat" in these last weeks of the campaign), and the way she talks about it in the video (and she even says that it's "a new game"), and the hints about it already in the beginning of the campaign (she always said that she had a different game she'll make if she gets enough money) don't say anything about GK.

The recent GK arts are just stuff she had around, and since she couldn't post a video yet, why not share those now that she reached her goal?

And it certainly won't be a spin-off game.

And she doesn't have the GK rights.

In fact, I'm kinda hoping it's not GK related. It won't be GK4, and I'd rather see something completely new from Jane rather than a remake of an old game.
gat
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by gat »

I certainly don't see any confirmation that Mystery Gamer X is a Gabriel Knight game, but there are a few hints. She began her kickstarter campaign saying that the new game(s) would not be GK; she obviously didn't have the rights yet. But she also indicated that she was hopeful one could be made in the future, indicating she was attempting to (or planned to begin to) negotiate for the rights. As her kickstarter campaign moved forward, she indicated that she was currently negotiating with a funding source (publisher?). Her update suggests that this funding source came through, based on the fact that her kickstarter campaign looked like it would succeed. This again might mean that the investor (publisher?) was looking for a confirmation that the game she was looking to make had an audience. And finally, she said that fans would be happy to hear about the new game. The games that would most likely appeal to her existing audience would be sequels to her published games (or, as Collector has suggested, a remake). This leads me to think that either a GK game or a sequel to Grey Matter is in the works. It all depends on the investor, and that investor's relationship to the rights at issue. But we will find out soon enough. I just find it amazing that so many of the old game designers I love are now back at work on projects I have an interest in. It is going to be a great year!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Still doubt me?

Go to the Pinkerton Road forum... and look at the GK forum...

Gabriel Knight
Discuss the Schattenjager past and future games here.

Is that not saying something?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:Still doubt me?

Go to the Pinkerton Road forum... and look at the GK forum...

Gabriel Knight
Discuss the Schattenjager past and future games here.

Is that not saying something?
It says she's interested in making new GK games, that's all. There's no mention of GK4 there.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Oh, I didn't say GK4... I just said GK. :)

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”