GREY MATTER (News and Potential Spoilers Within!)

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

GREY MATTER (News and Potential Spoilers Within!)

Post by Tawmis »

Check out the blog!

(Though it doesn't relate to GK as in a new game or anything... is that why you clicked it in such a rush?)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: GREY MATTER update! (Sort of relates to Gabriel Knight too).

Post by Tawmis »

While we're at it, can anyone translate this:
Newsletter from the company wrote:
Gray Matter-Musik kommt von Kult-Komponist Robert Holmes

Gute Nachrichten für alle Adventure-Fans verbreitet Genrekönigin Jane Jensen in ihrem heute erschienenen Development Blog-Eintrag zum kommenden Adventure-Hit Gray Matter:
Die Musik zu ihrem jüngsten Werk wird von niemand geringerem als Robert Holmes komponiert. Robert Holmes ist in der Adventure-Szene ebenso bekannt wie Jane Jensen selbst – kein Wunder, erschuf er doch schon die Soundtracks zu Jensens früheren Adventure-Meisterwerken, der Gabriel Knight-Reihe.

Wie Jane Jensen in ihrem heutigen Blog-Eintrag schreibt, komponierte Robert Holmes diverse Stücke für den Gray Matter-Soundtrack. Andere Stücke stammen von der Independent-Band The Scarlet Furies, die ihrerseits von Robert Holmes gegründet wurde. Eine Hörprobe bietet Jane Jensen auf ihrem Entwickler-Blog zum Download an.

Gray Matter wird das erste Adventure der berühmten Game-Autorin seit dem Release von Gabriel Knight 3. Die Geschichte vermischt im besten Jensen-Stil schauerliche Vorkommnisse mit übernatürlichen Ereignissen.
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

Alright!

It's probably about how they got to use The Scarlet Furies songs for the game.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

Tawmis wrote:While we're at it, can anyone translate this:
Newsletter from the company wrote:
Gray Matter-Musik kommt von Kult-Komponist Robert Holmes

Gute Nachrichten für alle Adventure-Fans verbreitet Genrekönigin Jane Jensen in ihrem heute erschienenen Development Blog-Eintrag zum kommenden Adventure-Hit Gray Matter:
Die Musik zu ihrem jüngsten Werk wird von niemand geringerem als Robert Holmes komponiert. Robert Holmes ist in der Adventure-Szene ebenso bekannt wie Jane Jensen selbst – kein Wunder, erschuf er doch schon die Soundtracks zu Jensens früheren Adventure-Meisterwerken, der Gabriel Knight-Reihe.

Wie Jane Jensen in ihrem heutigen Blog-Eintrag schreibt, komponierte Robert Holmes diverse Stücke für den Gray Matter-Soundtrack. Andere Stücke stammen von der Independent-Band The Scarlet Furies, die ihrerseits von Robert Holmes gegründet wurde. Eine Hörprobe bietet Jane Jensen auf ihrem Entwickler-Blog zum Download an.

Gray Matter wird das erste Adventure der berühmten Game-Autorin seit dem Release von Gabriel Knight 3. Die Geschichte vermischt im besten Jensen-Stil schauerliche Vorkommnisse mit übernatürlichen Ereignissen.
I could as germany is close to friesland ;)
but aside from praising Jane Jensen it tells that Robert holmes composes the music.

(and a sample can be found on the developer blog for download)
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Awesome! Thanks for the link, Tawmis. :)

I'm really looking forward to this game. As much as I love RPGs with good stories, sometimes I miss playing a game without a slew of combat.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

While we're at it, can anyone translate this:

This is from another Dutchie. I may watch Die Sendung Mit Der Maus on a weekly base, and Dutch may be very similar to German, but it's still my 4th language, so please be kind.

Gray Matter-music comes from cult-composer Robert Holmes

Good news for all adventure-fans is spread by queen of the genre Jane Jensen, in her development blog on her next Adventure-hit Gray Matter, that was published today:
The music of her latest work will be composed by no other than Robert Holmes. Robert Holmes is as well-known as Jane Jensen herself in the Adventure-scene: not a miracle, since he wrote the soundtracks to Jensen's earlier adventure-masterpieces: the Gabriel Knight -series.

As Jane Jensen writes in her blog entry of today, Robert Holmes composed various pieces for the Gray Matter-soundtrack. Other pieces come from the indie group The Scarlet Furies, who were founded by Robert Holmes. Jane Jensen offers a listening test on her developer-blog for download.

Gray Matter will be the first adventure of the famous game-writer since the release of Gabriel Knight 3. The story mixes real events with supernatural events, in the best Jensen-style.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Wow, that's über-cool. (Coincidence! Coincidence! No reference to Germany intended!) ;)

Thanks for the links, Tawmis, and thanks for the translation, BBP! :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

It's pretty cool how it worked out. I get updates for Grey Matter because the same company releasing Grey Matter is also the same company that released The Dark Eye: Drakensang. (Which I still need to beat - never got used to the control... then Dragon Age came out... and then Mass Effect 2...)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Well, hopefully it DOES get released soon. I'm not all too interesting in the game, but it'd be nice to see a well designed Adventure game.

Let's hope Grey Matter doesn't become the next Duke Nukem Forever. I don't think it will, but my faith in a game begins to wane the longer it takes to get released.

Incidentally, the plug was finally pulled on DNF after 13 years of so-called development. Yeah, that's right -- development supposedly began in 1997. To put this into perspective, I was 17 in 1997 and I'll turn 31 in November.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

DPX,

Andrea and I were of the lucky few that beta tested Gray Matter back in October (as mentioned on Jane's latest blog entry) and I can assure you that it will be one game that will not disappoint adventure gamers. :)

And if anyone remembers the What Are You Playing thread, Andrea sneakily says that he's playing the same game I was, but he couldn't say what! It was Gray Matter! :D
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Yes, I'm sneaky that way :lol:

Anyway, Jules is right. Gray Matter won't disappoint adventure gamers, and it will certainly please even the most hard-core fans of Jane, Gabriel Knight and old Sierra titles (a point score! Yay!), because - when it comes to story, characters and atmosphere - Gray Matter has really no rivals.

There obviously were some things to fix, and I'm glad to see that they are solving issue after issue, so let's keep our fingers crossed for a September release ;)
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Jules wrote:DPX,

Andrea and I were of the lucky few that beta tested Gray Matter back in October (as mentioned on Jane's latest blog entry) and I can assure you it will be one game that will not disappoint adventure gamers. :)

And if anyone remembers the What Are You Playing thread, Andrea sneakily says that he's playing the same game I was, but he couldn't say what! It was Gray Matter! :D
That's great :D

I'd like to see a good Adventure game get made. I don't have anything against the genre (would I be here if I did?), but I've simply become disappointed with the adventures released within the last decade or so. That probably accounts for my negative outlook concerning Adventure games.

One question: is it "grey" or "gray?" I don't only mean for the game's title, but in general. I've seen that word spelled both ways before.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Both spellings are accepted. You will find both listed in the dictionary with preference to gray. I'm not sure what British spelling gives preference to.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Well, according to Wikipedia and some other sources (which I probably should've looked up beforehand), "gray" is the American spelling where as "grey" is the British (or Commonwealth) version. I suppose an easy way to remember that is the "a" in gray is American and the "e" in grey is English. :)
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

For the game, it's Gray Matter... even though it takes place in Oxford.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”