Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Talk about anything you want here
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Thanks, DPX. :) I won't debate you on the death penalty or anything else. You know much more than I do about what's happening in the USA. If I started debating you, I'd just look foolish.

I'd just like to say, though: the Federal minimum wage (USD $7.25/hour, or AUD $9.75) sounds incredibly low to me. That's just $290/week (assuming an 40-hour week), or AUD $390/week. That's less than the dole (or, in US parlance, "welfare"). I don't know how people can cope on so little. :(
BBP wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:19 am Here in my neck of the woods the summer has been wet so far - after the droughts from the last years that's somewhat welcome - except it's been getting way too much. The storm last night and this morning that floods the tunnels and is causing my garden to bubble up the water it can no longer soak in, killed 33 people and counting in Germany, plus six in Belgium. We're still in luck but it won't be long before the excess rain water comes down the Rhine, Ruhr and other rivers to cause havoc. The images from our neighboring countries and the very beautiful southeast of the Netherlands are horrifying.
BBP, I just saw video images of what's happening in Europe. Cars floating downstream, trees crashing through houses, and similar chaos. :( I'm so sorry this is happening in your neck of the woods! I'm crossing my fingers for you and everyone over there.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I'm luckily out of the danger zone and just suffering general wetness - but if 2016 is any indication it can take long before it's over. In June 2016 we had roughly 16 times as much rain as is normal over a period of 6 weeks - it kept coming and culminated in a supercell with hail stones that were several inches in diameter with disastrous consequences. Followed by a mosquito infestation and failed harvests.

What is happening in the Eifel-Limburg area - as horrible as it is - I fear the worst is nowhere near over.
In a village in Germany, Sinzig, where my colleague and good friend José's husband lives, a home for the mentally handicapped was struck by the flood. Of the 14 inhabitants, only one could be saved, the other 12 drowned or are missing. They were surprised at night and didn't stand a chance.

Currently there are over 100 casualties in Germany and over 20 in Belgium. Netherlands only has had evacuations so far - there has been way too much rain in the south of Limburg but the biggest danger is from the overflowing rivers, bringing all the excess rain that fell in Germany into the country. Roermond, which is where the river Ruhr from Germany meets the Maas from Belgium, is in danger of drowning inbetween two walls of water. Venlo too has been evacuated, including the hospital there.

Today I called a client, husband and wife, who wanted more information about cancelling - since I had to be fast as costs would increase tomorrow I called them. Was a rough story, their mother had just had an aneurysm and would be in hospital, then rehab, for a long time, they were the only ones who could provide care since their sister had died recently - when I called them to cancel I was bracing myself for what I'd hear - only to find they were in the middle of being evacuated.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Wow. :shock: I'm crossing my fingers and toes (and everything else) for you and everyone, BBP!

I live in Melbourne (the capital of Victoria, Australia), and recently some of the country towns in Victoria went through a major flood. :(

As an aside, it's weird that it's all happening at once: major flood in Australia, major flood in Europe, major fires in Canada and northwest America ... I can just imagine the fun that the evangelists will have with this. "The end is coming! Repent your sins and send us all your money!" and so on. :roll:
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:26 am ... major fires in Canada and northwest America ... I can just imagine the fun that the evangelists will have with this. "The end is coming! Repent your sins and send us all your money!" and so on. :roll:
To be fair, every summer there are forest fires in western Canada. We've had summers where the forest fires got so bad that the sky was described as brown, orange, or red, and we couldn't open our windows because of all the crap in the air.

The BC Air Quality Health Index runs from 1 to 10 (with 1 being the lowest health risk and 10 or above being the highest health risk), and one year the air quality was rated at 11. Just think about that: we actually had a situation where you could legitimately quote This is Spinal Tap and say we "turned it up to 11."

I imagine it's the same (or at least quite similar) in Washington state, Oregon, and California.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

In faits divers to keep your head up, a cow was rescued from the river Maas. The poor thing was surrounded by debris and was up to her snout in water. She turned out to have come floating down the river all the way from Echt in Limburg, 100km away. But she's healthy and ready to be taken back to pasture.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

DeadPoolX wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:42 am The BC Air Quality Health Index runs from 1 to 10 (with 1 being the lowest health risk and 10 or above being the highest health risk), and one year the air quality was rated at 11. Just think about that: we actually had a situation where you could legitimately quote This is Spinal Tap and say we "turned it up to 11."
:lol: But I'm confused: if the index runs from 1 to 10, how can there be 11?

I know how bad it can be. Two years ago, we in Victoria (Australia) had one of the worst bushfires (aka forest fires) in living memory. I live in Melbourne (Victoria's capital), but the fires spread so far and wide, and the conditions were so dry and warm, that for a few days the air in Melbourne was smoky hard to breathe. In Sydney and Canberra (Australia's largest city and capital, respectively), it was worse. Worst hit of all were the little bush towns, of course.

It was known as the "Black Summer" for good reason: over 1.5 million hectares were burned, and over 3 billion animals were affected. :shock:
BBP wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:07 pm In faits divers to keep your head up, a cow was rescued from the river Maas. The poor thing was surrounded by debris and was up to her snout in water. She turned out to have come floating down the river all the way from Echt in Limburg, 100km away. But she's healthy and ready to be taken back to pasture.
Good news indeed! :) The poor cows (I heard there was more than one?) must have been exhausted.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Some really strange news (from the NY Post, among others) ... Police offer reward for info on suspect in murder case, then the suspect asks for reward :shock:

Um, nothing needs to be added -- except maybe a picture of Picard doing a facepalm. ;)

Here's the story:
Woman comments on police ‘Most Wanted’ post about her, gets arrested

She’s a criminal oversharer.

Oklahoma police tracked down a suspect on their “Most Wanted” list — after she asked about reward money in a reply to their Facebook post about her alleged crime, authorities said.

Lorraine Graves was busted on a charge of accessory to murder after she commented on a Tulsa Police Department post on Wednesday that listed her as the force’s “Weekly Most Wanted.”

Graves replied to the post, saying, “where’s the reward money at?,” a screenshot of her post shows.

Detectives arrested her Thursday in north Tulsa, according to the department. Her bond is set at $500,000, cops said.

Authorities were asking for tips about Graves’ whereabouts in relation to the March murder of Eric Graves, a 30-year-old who was found shot dead inside an apartment at the St. Thomas Square Apartments, KTUL reported.

It wasn’t clear how Lorraine and Eric were related.

Two other suspects, Jayden Hopson and Gabriel Hobson, were slapped with murder charges for the shooting, according to police.

Her comment had some Facebook users confused.

“Giiiiirl you better stay off social media they can track you !!” one person commented.

“Aint gonna be as funny when you get processed,” said another.

Her comment has since been deleted but the post announcing her capture has gone viral and had drawn more than 1,200 comments as of Sunday.

“Well, did she get her reward money?” A user commented after news of the arrest circulated.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:26 pm Some really strange news (from the NY Post, among others) ... Police offer reward for info on suspect in murder case, then the suspect asks for reward :shock:
Um, nothing needs to be added -- except maybe a picture of Picard doing a facepalm. ;)
Here's the story:
Woman comments on police ‘Most Wanted’ post about her, gets arrested
She’s a criminal oversharer.
Oklahoma police tracked down a suspect on their “Most Wanted” list — after she asked about reward money in a reply to their Facebook post about her alleged crime, authorities said.
Lorraine Graves was busted on a charge of accessory to murder after she commented on a Tulsa Police Department post on Wednesday that listed her as the force’s “Weekly Most Wanted.”
Graves replied to the post, saying, “where’s the reward money at?,” a screenshot of her post shows.
Detectives arrested her Thursday in north Tulsa, according to the department. Her bond is set at $500,000, cops said.
Authorities were asking for tips about Graves’ whereabouts in relation to the March murder of Eric Graves, a 30-year-old who was found shot dead inside an apartment at the St. Thomas Square Apartments, KTUL reported.
It wasn’t clear how Lorraine and Eric were related.
Two other suspects, Jayden Hopson and Gabriel Hobson, were slapped with murder charges for the shooting, according to police.
Her comment had some Facebook users confused.
“Giiiiirl you better stay off social media they can track you !!” one person commented.
“Aint gonna be as funny when you get processed,” said another.
Her comment has since been deleted but the post announcing her capture has gone viral and had drawn more than 1,200 comments as of Sunday.
“Well, did she get her reward money?” A user commented after news of the arrest circulated.
What bothers me is people who say things like this:

For effs sake, it's a serious crime. Don't tell them to stay off social media....
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Very true. I agree with you completely.

Then again, I don't think this criminal will listen. If she thinks that, in her situation, attracting the police's attention is a good idea -- well ... ;)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

This news makes me mad. :x

Texas all but bans abortion - and the Supreme Court does nothing about it

The bit that really makes me mad? Even if a woman is a victim of rape or incest, she's not allowed to have an abortion. And if she tries, ANYONE is allowed to report it and sue the doctor, clinic, hospital, or even Uber driver who drives her there, and claim a $10,000 "bounty". :shock:

Leave these women alone, FFS. Rape/incest is bad enough, without legal meddling to make it worse. :x
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:13 pm This news makes me mad. :x
Texas all but bans abortion - and the Supreme Court does nothing about it
The bit that really makes me mad? Even if a woman is a victim of rape or incest, she's not allowed to have an abortion. And if she tries, ANYONE is allowed to report it and sue the doctor, clinic, hospital, or even Uber driver who drives her there, and claim a $10,000 "bounty". :shock:
Leave these women alone, FFS. Rape/incest is bad enough, without legal meddling to make it worse. :x
Agreed. A tragic picture I saw was "A rapist can now earn $10,000 if he finds out his victim got pregnant and has an abortion."

For F$%k's sake.

I mean how is the male not charged? What if the male wants her to get an abortion? Two young folks, fooling around as they do... she gets pregnant, and he pressures her to do it.

Why is he not charged?

It's so damn stupid.

Let the woman remain in charge of her body.

My views on abortion, no matter what, DOES NOT supersede a woman's rights. Ever. ESPECIALLY under so many circumstances (incest, rape, etc).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Oh, no -- they've finally made it. Soylent Green. ;)

Their advert scares me: "A Complete Meal in a Bottle". :shock:

It's Brown Trousers time! :P
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:15 pm https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... arch-shows
Now I know why I love bats :)
That's hilarious. :D \m/_o_\m/

I remember growing up almost 3 years in Puerto Rico, the "movie theater" was an outdoor theater (imagine a theater with no walls or ceilings, but the chairs were still in cemente).

Got so used to bats just fluttering everywhere.

Same with snakes and tarantuals, which is probably why I have no fear of either.

Was not uncommon during hurricanes to wake up with a tarantuala or two in your room like, "Hey bro. Sorry. It's wet outside and my hole got flooded."
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... nazi-hoard
Anyone want to search for treasure out here?
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”