The Last Note Played (Say Farewell To Guitar Hero!)

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

The Last Note Played (Say Farewell To Guitar Hero!)

Post by Tawmis »

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/374-ac ... franchise/

Did you hear that? It's the fat lady, singing her heart out.

Activision released a bombshell today during their latest earnings report by announcing that the once-vaunted Guitar Hero franchise will be unceremoniously put to rest for the forseeable future.

"Due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011," the company said in a statement.

It's just the latest bad news to hit the ailing music game genre. The most recent Guitar Hero game, Warriors of Rock, failed to ignite the sales charts, and in December of 2010, media giant Viacom sold off Rock Band developer Harmonix. Just last week, longtime Rock Band publisher MTV Games was officially shut down.

In addition to Guitar Hero, Activision has halted development on its True Crime: Hong Kong action game.

"These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences," they explained.

In a conference call, Activision said about 500 employees -- roughly 7% of its work force -- will be laid off by the cancellations.

It's not all doom and gloom, however, as Activision also revealed plans to support its Call of Duty franchise by forming a new internal studio. Dubbed "Beachhead," the team is tasked with creating a "best-in-class online community, exclusive content, and a suite of services" for the best-selling shooter series. The company will also be investing in a new online multiplayer game from World of WarCraft makers Blizzard.

First released on 2005 for the Playstation 2, Guitar Hero ushered in a lucrative era of music gaming. According to Activision, its 2007 iteration, Guitar Hero III, set an industry record by being the first video game to earn over $1 billion in retail sales. It's all been downhill from there, however, as the one-two punch of an economic downturn and an oversaturated music game market resulted in stagnant sales and dwindling consumer interest in the franchise.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Re: The Last Note Played (Say Farewell To Guitar Hero!)

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Not the least bit sorry to hear this.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Not the least bit sorry to hear this.
I only have GH2. I preferred ROCK BAND, which was a lot more fun... and great for getting together and being silly.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Well, it remained popular for quite a few years. The problem with games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band is that each title is virtually the same, just with different music. Hell, the only thing keeping those games going was that you couldn't add your own music.

There are still some really good PC music-based games available, like Audiosurf and Beat Hazard. In fact, the company that makes Beat Hazard is releasing a new version (Beat Hazard Ultra) with new features, including co-op play online.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote:Well, it remained popular for quite a few years. The problem with games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band is that each title is virtually the same, just with different music. Hell, the only thing keeping those games going was that you couldn't add your own music.
Controls were also slightly different. Also the customization was WAY different between the two. Actually ... quite a few other small differences as well.

And as for not being able to add your own music; depends on if you hacked your XBOX360 or not (not sure if it was possible with the PS3). But with the X360 you could actually use a program to import your own music, do your own beats/marks for the instruments, and then import then into Rock Band/Guitar Hero. It would however, take over the slot of an existing song.

So say, you unlocked "My Momma's On Facebook" on GH/RB, you could then import and edit, "Sirens" by Savatage, and then put it in the "My Momma's On Facebook" slot. So when you select it, it says "My Momma's On Facebook" - but it actually plays Savatage's song "Sirens."

More on that here on Youtube.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:Well, it remained popular for quite a few years. The problem with games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band is that each title is virtually the same, just with different music. Hell, the only thing keeping those games going was that you couldn't add your own music.
Controls were also slightly different. Also the customization was WAY different between the two. Actually ... quite a few other small differences as well.

And as for not being able to add your own music; depends on if you hacked your XBOX360 or not (not sure if it was possible with the PS3). But with the X360 you could actually use a program to import your own music, do your own beats/marks for the instruments, and then import then into Rock Band/Guitar Hero. It would however, take over the slot of an existing song.

So say, you unlocked "My Momma's On Facebook" on GH/RB, you could then import and edit, "Sirens" by Savatage, and then put it in the "My Momma's On Facebook" slot. So when you select it, it says "My Momma's On Facebook" - but it actually plays Savatage's song "Sirens."

More on that here on Youtube.
Okay, sure, but the average GH or RB gamer probably wouldn't have known how to do that, if they even knew it existed at all.

I don't have anything against RB or GH. My dad has the PS2 version of GH3 at his house (where the guitar rests comfortably neglected upstairs in the playroom while battery acid has probably destroyed the controller itself) and I've tried playing it.

I suck at it, but I didn't put in much practice. I would've had I really cared, but it just didn't interest me enough. As a game itself, however, it's not bad -- just not my thing.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: I suck at it, but I didn't put in much practice. I would've had I really cared, but it just didn't interest me enough. As a game itself, however, it's not bad -- just not my thing.
Don't like it? But it doesn't even use D&D rules!
(I totally kid!)

No, I can fully - FULLY understand not liking it. I didn't care for the game myself, when I initially got it. Mostly because my friend was SO good at it, that he was over one day and just began unlocking things left and right on GH; which takes away my learning curve, and interest in the game, because I had no idea where I was in the game.

With Rock Band, we got it as friends, and all of us played together as "bands" - and RB, allowed you to make custom characters, which you could try to make look like yourself, or create some outrageous character (like I always created an over the edge 80's version of myself)! So, it wasn't till RB that I actually began enjoying the game.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I do own two music-based games (Audiosurf and Beat Hazard) which I mentioned before. I probably play Audiosurf almost every day. I play Beat Hazard less, but it's still one of my favorite games. I just can't play it as long due to the extremely intense environment; in fact, if you have epilepsy, don't play it. :P
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

DeadPoolX wrote:There are still some really good PC music-based games available, like Audiosurf and Beat Hazard. In fact, the company that makes Beat Hazard is releasing a new version (Beat Hazard Ultra) with new features, including co-op play online.
Ooooo! I'm glad I haven't gotten around to buying it yet! I'll wait for that version.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

DeadPoolX wrote:I do own two music-based games (Audiosurf and Beat Hazard) which I mentioned before. I probably play Audiosurf almost every day. I play Beat Hazard less, but it's still one of my favorite games. I just can't play it as long due to the extremely intense environment; in fact, if you have epilepsy, don't play it. :P
Hmm? Epilepsy? Why? *wonders*

I suffer from petit mal epilepsy, but I've managed it for over a decade now, and haven't had a relapse despite staring into a computer screen for most of that time. ;) What's so bad about these games? I've never played them or heard about them, so I'm just curious.

As for Guitar Hero - I don't know what to say. Sure it's good for having fun, but unfortunately there are also a lot of people (at least in Australia) who think that being good at Guitar Hero automatically makes them a guitar god. :P Needless to say, it does not, but I'm sick and tired of their incessant boasting every time I go to my local Propeller Head or EB Games (particularly as I'm a performer myself, and these people wouldn't know the first thing about music, except how to punch buttons in the right order). :P
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Lots and LOTS of quick flashing strobe-like lighting effects.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

MI answered that for you, Rath.

Beat Hazard is crazy when it comes to lighting effects which react to your music. In fact, everything in Beat Hazard reacts to your music -- the enemies, your ship's guns and overall power level, etc. Never play slow songs unless you're up for an incredibly difficult challenge. :P

Audiosurf has far fewer lighting effects, but it does have them. You'll see these mostly if you put your graphics detail up to its highest. Audiosurf also reacts to your music in that it sets up differently colored musical bars (most depend on which character you play) which you must try to hit.

If you love music, I'd really suggest trying Audiosurf. Since you do have epilepsy, I'd stay away from Beat Hazard unless you know you've got your epilepsy under control enough to handle flashing strobe-like effects.

You can find demos on Steam or if you want a real quick look, check out videos on YouTube. :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

One of my peeves with that type of game is that it claims it teaches you guitar, when it of course doesn't. But it gets your timing to impeccable. I've only played some of its free flash on-line clones (I even got the Mystery Guitar on Super Crazy Guitar Maniac Deluxe 2). It's fun, but makes me dizzy. That gorgeous SG toy of mine seems like a good solution. Except 12 songs is not enough when one song is unplayable and seven songs suck.

Anyway, it's a fun way of introducing people to some of the rock classics, or getting to listen to music. Otherwise games come and go. No tears here.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: One of my peeves with that type of game is that it claims it teaches you guitar, when it of course doesn't.
Have you played ROCK BAND 3 on Pro Mode?

Rock Band 3, developed by Harmonix and published by MTV Games, wants to add a shot of realism to the music video game genre. The core aspects of the game are still there - you can grab a microphone and see along with Queen, David Bowie or Whitesnake, you can grab your drumsticks and beat your drums and cymbals into a coma and grab your Rock Band and Rock Band 2 - even Beatles: Rock Band - guitar. However, in this offering, the folks at Harmonix decided to add a pro-style guitar, as well as a keyboard, to the mix.

The main draw of any Rock Band game are the songs. The songs range from classic rock to Amy Winehouse. Not feeling the song selection? Head to the Rock Band Store and browse the 1,917 song (at launch) for you to download. Still want more? You can use your Rock Band and Rock Band 2 songs in Rock Band 3, but , wait for it ... you have to pay a *small* fee. The fee? Ten dollars American. It's in very small print in the Rock Band 3 manual. So, let's recap - Yes, you bought the games before - yes, you love the games - but having to repay for games that you already have? Why, EA, why?!

Update: A PR rep said the fee to export songs from previous RB games is a licensing issue, not an MTV Games, Harmonix or EA issue.

That's one bad note ...

The controllers are another huge draw for Rock Band 3. Gamers will be able to rock real notes on the wicked Fender Mustang Pro guitar ($149.99 retail) or the Pro Keyboard ($79.99). The controllers aren't just for playing the game - Rock Band 3 includes lessons on how to rock for real.

You can also add Pro Drums to your existing drum set (it's a set of cymbals with their own set of notes) that work in Pro Mode as well.

I logged some time with the Wireless Fender Mustang PRO guitar (it won't be available until early November) and got my Pro Mode on. It's smaller than the regular guitar controllers (Remember, you can still use your Rock Band, Rock Band 2 and Beatles: rock Band guitars) but has some way cool features. The guitar has a small area to strum and the strings are metallic and very sturdy. On the neck, there are 16-17 sets of buttons that gamers use in Pro Mode to hit the corresponding keys on-screen. As I stated earlier, the finger movements will help you if you want to learn how to play a guitar for real.

The great news? Rock Band 3 will play nice with other guitars in regular guitar mode. The bad news? If you want to play the rival Power Gig Sixstring in Pro Mode, forgetaboutit. Pro Mode is the talk around Internet forums and EA/Harmonix/Mad Catz want to make sure - at this time - only one guitar works in that mode. And sadly, the awesome Sixstring didn't make the short list.

The keyboard is also new to the Rock Band universe. You can put a shoulder strap on it and turn into a Go-Go or use it on a Mad Catz keyboard stand (sold separately) and play the game that way. The keyboard is sturdy and works in Pro Mode, which utilizes every key depending on your difficulty. While I did enjoy my time with the keyboard in pro mode, I am sure I was missing how to hit the long notes during songs - though the game gave me credit for it.

Gameplay is solid. You can recruit band members - online or local multiplayer - as well as backups - and start your music career. You can start the game with Quick Play - or take it slow with Training. Training lets you practice, learn an instrument and learn songs. Love to beat your drum? Create your own drum tracks with Drum Freestyle.

Difficulty during gameplay depends really on the songs you select. Unfortunately, you can't play every song with every instrument. When I had the Fender Mustang, I couldn't even practice with certain songs, much less during career mode. When I had the Pro Keyboard hooked up, the same thing. Not sure if the downloaded songs or the *locked* songs will work either. And I can't help but wonder if the money gamers will spend will keep them happy and willing to use their Pro instruments with the songs.

Update: 63 of the 83 songs support keyboard, in both Pro mode or 5-button "legacy" mode.

Also, pre-Rock Band 3 songs are not Pro compatible, but HMX is updating a selection of tracks with Pro Mode functionality, chosen by the community from the Rock Band catalog. See www.rockband.com for details.

Not ready for that much realism? The standard guitar/mic/drum/keyboard modes are still there.

Depending on the device you use, you will see a few options as you play. When you select a song, you'll see song difficulty and what instruments are supported. Some of the more difficult songs have devils listed. Definitely, those songs are not for the faint at heart. The good news? If you have a great voice, you can sing with ALL of the songs.

Gameplay modes include Training, Career and Road Challenge. Road Challenge puts gamers on the road to becoming a rock star. You don't have jack when you start, but keep on playing and watch the Benjamins pour in. When you rock the crowd, you'll also earn Spades. What are Spades? A sick game I used to play at the 'Corn, lol. No, you earn spades when you hit special bonuses or complete other tasks.

Visuals? Please. You don't buy any Rock Band game for visuals. It's good - not as pretty as Enslaved - but you will be too busy rockin' to notice.

The verdict? 3.25 (out of 4 stars). The addition of the Pro instruments - and the huge library of songs at launch - make this one of the best Rock Band games of all-time. The Pro Modes really add some needed fuel to the music video game genre. However, the additional fee to unlock songs you already own AND the closed club for Pro Mode controllers hits the wrong notes. Overall, if you love Rock Band and the thought of playing a video game with real instruments really turns you on, take a chance with Rock Band 3.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I think what BBP meant is that no matter how complex or "realistic" a game like Guitar Hero or Rock Band, there's a huge difference between hitting buttons on a guitar-shaped controller and playing a real guitar.

Games don't teach you how to do real life stuff. You'd never learn driving or a sport by playing a video game. This only further enforces how ridiculous it is when anti-game pundits call First-Person Shooters "murder simulators." If you've ever used a gun, you know that pressing a mouse button is nothing like actually using a real firearm.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”