Other Classic Games

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Other Classic Games

Post by Collector »

Most of us are, of course, Sierra fans. But I doubt that anyone played exclusively Sierra/Sierra Family games. What are some of the other classic games that you played that you really enjoyed? Don't limit it to just LucasArts games.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Other Classic Games

Post by Tawmis »

Waitaminute. You're telling me there's other companies back then... than... Sierra?

What lies you speak, devil-tongue!

Actually I played a great majority of the SSI games...
(Copy and paste from Wiki, taking out the ones I didn't play from SSI)...

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes of the Lance - 1988 - A fantasy computer role-playing game based on the Dungeons & Dragons Dragonlance campaign
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: HillsfarAdvanced Dungeons and Dragons: Hillsfar 1989 A fantasy computer role-playing game based on Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse 1994 An action role-playing game; Al-Qadim campaign setting of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
Buccaneer 1997 A strategy/action game focussing on naval pirating
Champions of Krynn 1990 A fantasy computer role-playing game; the first in a three-part series of a Dragonlance Advanced Dungeons & Dragons "Gold Box" series
Colonial Conquest 1985 Conquest strategy video game of the colonization of the late 1800s and early 1900s
Curse of the Azure Bonds 1989 A fantasy computer role-playing game; the second in a four-part series of Forgotten Realms Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box series.
Dark Queen of Krynn, TheThe Dark Queen of Krynn 1992 A fantasy computer role-playing game; the third in a three-part series of a Dragonlance Advanced Dungeons & Dragons "Gold Box" series
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands 1993 A computer role-playing game; Dungeons and Dragons' campaign setting of Dark Sun
Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager 1994 A computer role-playing game
Death Knights of Krynn 1991 A computer role-playing game; part of the Dragonlance Advanced Dungeons & Dragons "Gold Box" series
Demon's Winter 1988 A fantasy computer role-playing game, a sequel to Shard of Spring
Dragons of Flame 1989 A fantasy computer role-playing game; a Dragonlance sequel to Heroes of the Lance
DragonStrike 1990 A fantasy computer role-playing game; part of the Dragonlance Advanced Dungeons & Dragons "Gold Box" series
Dungeon Hack 1993 A computer role-playing game roguelike; Advanced Dungeons and Dragons world of Forgotten Realms
Dungeon Master's Assistant Volume I 1988 An application to assist dungeon masters in constructing adventures for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Dungeon Master's Assistant Volume II 1989 A follow-up application to Dungeon Master's Assistant Volume I; assists dungeon masters in constructing adventures for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
Eternal Dagger, TheThe Eternal Dagger 1987 A fantasy computer role-playing game, the sequel to Wizard's Crown
Eye of the Beholder 1990 An Advanced Dungeons & Dragons fantasy computer role-playing game
Eye of the Beholder IIEye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon 1991 A computer role-playing game based on Dungeons & Dragons, the second game in a series
Eye of the Beholder IIIEye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor 1992 A computer role-playing game based on Dungeons & Dragons, the third and final game in a series
Fantasy Empires 1993 A fantasy computer role-playing game; set in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons world of Mystara.

Gateway to the Savage Frontier 1991 A computer role-playing game; a Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box series game
Menzoberranzan 1994 A fantasy computer role-playing game based on Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
Neverwinter Nights 1991 The first graphical MMORPG
Phantasie 1985 A fantasy computer role-playing game, the first in a series.
Phantasie II 1986 A fantasy computer role-playing game, a sequel to Phantasie, the second installment in the series.
Phantasie III: Wrath of Nikademus 1987 A fantasy computer role-playing game, the third installment in the Phantasie series
Pool of Radiance 1988 A fantasy computer role-playing game based on the Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) role-playing game; the first of the "Gold Box" D&D video games.
Pools of Darkness 1991 A computer role-playing game; the 4th in the four-part Forgotten Realms Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box series

Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession 1994 A fantasy computer role-playing game based on Advanced Dungeons & Dragons; set in the domain of Barovia
Ravenloft 2: The Stone Prophet 1995 A fantasy computer role-playing game; a Dungeons & Dragons game, sequel to Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession

Realms of Darkness 1986 A fantasy computer role-playing game
Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace 1992 A science-fiction/fantasy computer role-playing game using Dungeons & Dragons Second Edition, Spelljammer rules

Unlimited Adventures 1993 A computer role-playing game
War of the Lance 1989 A fantasy computer role-playing game based in the Dungeons & Dragons Dragonlance campaign setting
Wizard's Crown 1985 A fantasy computer role-playing game

I was also very heavy into BBS games back then like L.O.R.D. (Legend of the Red Dragon) and Usurper. I also loved the Warcraft RTS games (and have the collector's edition of Warcraft III with the Orc cover!) I also actually enjoyed playing Rogue back in my freshman year of High School. Egads. I also loved the Realms of Arkania trilogy (which inspired a lot of my own RPG games including D&D that I have made since playing them!) Of course there was all three of the Kyrandia series, which I found insanely harder than any KQ game! There was the two Les Manley games! And Blue Force! There was also all kinds of video games on the console I played (way too many to name) but a favorite was like Toejam & Earl and Earthworm Jim. Tons of games in the arcade like Golden Axe, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, Primal Rage, Double Dragon and way too many others to probably name! There were other games like DragonWorld that I played. There was a game called Loom and the like. I can't count how many text adventure games I played like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (which, combined with my love of Sierra games) inspired me to make Final Soul and such!

I was quite the little gamer when I was younger. These days... I don't know why - most games, other than things that require very little thinking (Mortal Kombat, Gears of War, etc) can't seem to hold my attention. For example, I still have The Longest Journey installed, and have not finished it (and I love it - the ambient music and story is awesome!) - but when I get stuck - I just... stop trying. And same thing happened with Gray Matter - I haven't even got out of the first chapter.

There's also quite a few other games
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Well, I'm not sure what categorizes a game as a "classic," but I do have a lot of games I enjoyed besides those from Sierra.

• TIE Fighter (PC, LucasArts)
  • Wing Commander series (PC, Origin Systems)
  • Crusader: No Remorse (PC, Origin Systems)
  • F-19 Stealth Fighter (PC, MicroProse)
  • Falcon 3.0 (PC, Spectrum Holobyte)
  • Panzer General (PC, SSI)
  • Ultima Online (PC, Origin Systems)
  • Mega Man 2 (NES, Capcom)
  • Contra (NES, Konami)
  • MechWarrior II (PC, Activision)
  • MechWarrior III (PC, MicroProse)
  • MechWarrior IV (PC, Microsoft)
  • SEAL Team (PC, EA)
  • MDK (PC, Shiny Entertainment)
  • MDK 2 (PC, BioWare)
  • Alone in the Dark (PC, Infogrames)
  • Quake 1, 2 and 3 (PC, id Software)
  • DOOM 1 and 2 (PC, id Software)
  • Duke Nukem 3D (PC, Apogee Software)
  • Dungeon Keeper (PC, Bullfrog)
  • Syndicate (PC, Bullfrog)
  • Syndicate Wars (PC, Bullfrog)
  • Fallout 1 and 2 (PC, Interplay)
  • Interstate '76 (PC, Activision)
  • Die by the Sword (PC, Interplay)
  • Tex Murphy series (PC, Access Software)
  • Deus Ex (PC, Ion Storm)
  • Anachronox (PC, Ion Storm)
  • Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (PC, Monolith Productions)
  • The Oregon Trail (PC, MECC)
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Seeing DPX's list reminded me of some others..
DeadPoolX wrote: [*]TIE Fighter (PC, LucasArts)
How could I forget TIE FIGHTER?
Also did X-WING, and REBEL ASSAULT. I had Rebel Assault on PC and PS...2?
DeadPoolX wrote: [*]Ultima Online (PC, Origin Systems)
I did a month of Ultima Online (and hated it!) - but I did the classic Ultima games, up to the last one Serpent Crown or whatever it was?
DeadPoolX wrote: [*]MechWarrior II (PC, Activision)
[*]MechWarrior III (PC, MicroProse)
[*]MechWarrior IV (PC, Microsoft)
Crap, I did MechWarrior - never for campaign but for the "LAN VS" game with friends... Can't remember which one it was.
DeadPoolX wrote: [*]DOOM 1 and 2 (PC, id Software)
And every variation there of (Heretic and the like)
DeadPoolX wrote: [*]The Oregon Trail (PC, MECC)[/list]
LOL! Who didn't play this, right?
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I've always played mainly adventures and RPGs, so I pretty much stuck with Sierra and Bethesda (at least until discovering BioWare's games). Anyway, I can mention the classic adventures I played and enjoyed, but I believe that everyone knows them - The Last Express, The Dame Was Loaded, The X-Files, Blade Runner, Tex Murphy's series, everything from LucasArts and so on - so I will go further back to my console days, when I was very little and I played with a Sega MegaDrive.

I had a couple of Sonic, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Street Fighter II Championship Edition and many other I don't remember at this time. I should fire up Wiki and look up the titles, but right now I don't have the patience to scour an undoubtedly long list.

Oh, yes! Another thing. I remember that when I was playing Gabriel Knight, when I got stuck on some challening puzzle, I used to play Scorcher, a futuristic racing game which helped me to relax and think about the puzzle I was stuck on. It was a good, funny game with a flashy, electonic soundtrack and it was quick. Really quick.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Is there anyone here who HASN'T played Golden Axe or Street Fighter II? C'mon, fess up... ;)

I played many many classic DOS games back in the day, including Gods, Golden Axe, Street Fighter II, the Sierra HOYLE games, Jones in the Fast Lane, Alone in the Dark, Alley Cat, Sokoban, Another World, Arkanoid, Budokan, Lemmings, NBA Playoffs: Lakers vs Celtics, Prince of Persia, Ski or Die, Test Drive, Wolfenstein 3D, Xenon 2: Megablast and many others whose name that I forget right now... :?

I also played many Commodore 64 games, like One on One: Dr J vs. Larry Bird, International Soccer, International Tennis, etc. I forget many of them because I hadn't had a Commodore in the last 20 years. ;)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Of the ones I recall, I played Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Lode Runner, Prince of Persia, Tetris, Lemmings, Clyde's Adventure, Mr Pill, Alleycat and Sokoban. I'm still playing some of them: like Lemmings on my CD-i (current level: Taxing 25). And Local Area Dungeon, that I spent 6 years on before I finally managed to finish it.

I haven't played Golden Axe, Rath. Never heard of it. I have played Street Fighter II on my neighbour's SEGA and found it as enthralling as a bucket of fish.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote: Altered Beast
Altered Beast. Another good call. We had that game (as well as Double Dragon) when I worked at Pizza Hut (way too many years ago to think about) - and that game DEVOURED so many of my quarters! Of course, that makes me think of how much I spent on Dragon's Lair also!
Rath Darkblade wrote: Test Drive
LOL! My friend and I would play TEST DRIVE for HOURS and HOURS! I found it somewhere and play it through DOS from time to time still... but it's nowhere near as awesome as it used to be obviously! :lol:
BBP wrote: I haven't played Golden Axe, Rath. Never heard of it. I have played Street Fighter II on my neighbour's SEGA and found it as enthralling as a bucket of fish.
GOLDEN AXE was awesome. Pretty much a button smasher when monsters came at you (like Altered Beast, Double Dragon, etc). And things like Street Fighter probably weren't for everyone. (It seemed pretty much male dominated back in the day!)

And how could I forget GAUNTLET!

I actually love the ones that followed (and came out on console).
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I find it curious that no one has mentioned some of the games that usually are mentioned in such threads, the Broken Sword games, the Discworld games, the Neverhood or some of the Star Trek Adventures. Relentless and Twinsen's Odyssey (Little Big Adventure 1 and II in Europe) are also often mentioned.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:I find it curious that no one has mentioned some of the games that usually are mentioned in such threads, the Broken Sword games, the Discworld games, the Neverhood or some of the Star Trek Adventures. Relentless and Twinsen's Odyssey (Little Big Adventure 1 and II in Europe) are also often mentioned.
I have never played any of them. Discworld I may have - not entirely sure - but if I did, I know I never beat it because I can't remember anything about it. But back in the day, my friend (back then, anyway) - his father - used to get ALL kinds of games. So there's probably hundreds of games I have played, started, maybe got half way through, and for whatever reason, never finished. :lol:
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I started this thread, at least in part, for ideas about possible future installers. I did do one for Twinsen's Odyssey (LBA2), which some find a pain to setup in DOSBox. As with most of my installers, it sets it up for CD-less play.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Most of my older games, I eventually got rid of. It was only Sierra that I kept. And I am pretty sure all of my old games were disks (which I don't have drives for anymore). But man, I wish they would release all those SSI games in some kind of collection, then I'd be asking you to make a patch for it (if the collection required a CD)! I used to love those SSI games.

Oh! And that reminds me! I should slap myself! How the FRICK did I not include WIZARDRY?!

Sheesh. One of the first RPG games I _ever_ played.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

AndreaDraco wrote:... so I will go further back to my console days, when I was very little and I played with a Sega MegaDrive.
I still think it's weird that Sega called their 16-bit console the "Genesis" in North America and the "Mega Drive" in Europe.
AndreaDraco wrote:I had a couple of Sonic, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Street Fighter II Championship Edition and many other I don't remember at this time. I should fire up Wiki and look up the titles, but right now I don't have the patience to scour an undoubtedly long list.
I played all of those. Sonic the Hedgehog and its sequels were a lot of fun initially, but it got boring pretty quickly. Plus, it relied on older game mechanics (i.e. one or two hits kill you).

Altered Beast was okay; I never really got into it, but I definitely played Golden Axe (and its sequels) and Street Fighter II. I wasn't that good at SF2, but my brother was. I actually preferred the Mortal Kombat series.
Tawmis wrote:
BBP wrote: I haven't played Golden Axe, Rath. Never heard of it. I have played Street Fighter II on my neighbour's SEGA and found it as enthralling as a bucket of fish.
GOLDEN AXE was awesome. Pretty much a button smasher when monsters came at you (like Altered Beast, Double Dragon, etc). And things like Street Fighter probably weren't for everyone. (It seemed pretty much male dominated back in the day!)

And how could I forget GAUNTLET!
I forgot about Double Dragon. My brother and I used to play DD2 for hours and eventually we beat it, but it was damn tough. NES games were very unforgiving.

Anyone play Streets of Rage? That was a great game.

As for Gauntlet... well, the original versions didn't do much for me, but Maia and I enjoyed the PS2 copy of Gauntlet: The Seven Sorrows. We almost beat it, but ran out of time at my Dad's place, where my PS2 is right now.
Collector wrote:I find it curious that no one has mentioned some of the games that usually are mentioned in such threads, the Broken Sword games, the Discworld games, the Neverhood or some of the Star Trek Adventures. Relentless and Twinsen's Odyssey (Little Big Adventure 1 and II in Europe) are also often mentioned.
Well, most of us have played games that go beyond the Adventure genre.

Since you only mentioned "classic games" without defining a specific time period or genre, you were bound to get a variety of games named.
Collector wrote:I started this thread, at least in part, for ideas about possible future installers. I did do one for Twinsen's Odyssey (LBA2), which some find a pain to setup in DOSBox. As with most of my installers, it sets it up for CD-less play.
Hey, if you could come up with an installer for Noctropolis and Blade Runner, I'd be happy. :P
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Altered Beast was okay; I never really got into it, but I definitely played Golden Axe (and its sequels) and Street Fighter II. I wasn't that good at SF2, but my brother was. I actually preferred the Mortal Kombat series.
We should hang out some time (you know, the fact that you're in Canada, eh, shouldn't be a problem!) so we can play some Mortal Kombat and Golden Axe!

DeadPoolX wrote: I forgot about Double Dragon. My brother and I used to play DD2 for hours and eventually we beat it, but it was damn tough. NES games were very unforgiving.
Double Dragon was awesome. The original we beat on arcade at Pizza Hut (my friend and I from back in the day), because if you hit the quarter entry thing just right, it'd register a free "Continue?" :lol: We used to beat that thing up at night when we closed...
DeadPoolX wrote: Anyone play Streets of Rage? That was a great game.
*raises hand!*
DeadPoolX wrote: As for Gauntlet... well, the original versions didn't do much for me, but Maia and I enjoyed the PS2 copy of Gauntlet: The Seven Sorrows. We almost beat it, but ran out of time at my Dad's place, where my PS2 is right now.
Oh yeah the original was a simplistic game! But the console ones - like Seven Sorrows (and the other two or three?) - you need to go back and play those! Especially if you were playing co-op! Such a fun game!
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I recently got the first Discworld and Broken Sword/Circle of Blood games - haven't played them all the way through yet. I loved the Legend of Kyrandia games as well as the Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Tex Murphy, Les Manley, and yes........ Myst games. Also the original Age of Empires game and its expansion, Rise of Rome. Love the ancient Greco-Roman setting.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”