Star Wars / Star Trek Discussion (SciFi In General)

Talk about anything you want here
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: Star Wars / Star Trek Discussion (SciFi In General)

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:36 pm Question: IIRC, at some point, Captain Kirk tries to introduce Spock to Gilbert and Sullivan.
I don't recall that ever happening on TOS or in any of the TOS-era films. One of Gilbert and Sullivan songs does appear in an episode of TNG ("Disaster") and one of the TNG-era films ("Insurrection"), but none of those had nothing to do with Spock or Kirk.

There are at least a couple of TOS-era novels that mention or contain songs by G&S, but those works are considered beta-canon at best.

The only instance I can find of "Spock being introduced to Gilbert and Sullivan" is on an episode of Star Trek: Short Treks called "Q&A" where Ensign Spock and Commander Una Chin-Riley (aka "Number One") are stuck in a turbolift.

Anyway... that episode of Short Treks came out in 2019. In other words, unless there's an episode of TOS I'm clearly not remembering (and admittedly, it's possible!), Kirk never introduced Spock to anything by Gilbert and Sullivan.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, whoops -- my mistake. I was possibly mis-remembering it as this scene from Star Trek: TNG, where Picard tries to get Worf to sing G&S. (Warning: the scene is utterly rubbish. The transition to song is contrived, and Patrick Stewart is a good actor, but he shouldn't try to sing opera. ;) No wonder Worf looks bewildered).

So if Worf is confused by the whole thing, I wonder what Spock would make of it. Possibly he would say "That is completely illogical, captain." ;) What do you think?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:39 am Ah, whoops -- my mistake. I was possibly mis-remembering it as this scene from Star Trek: TNG, where Picard tries to get Worf to sing G&S. (Warning: the scene is utterly rubbish. The transition to song is contrived, and Patrick Stewart is a good actor, but he shouldn't try to sing opera. ;) No wonder Worf looks bewildered).

So if Worf is confused by the whole thing, I wonder what Spock would make of it. Possibly he would say "That is completely illogical, captain." ;) What do you think?
Honestly? I think you don't know enough about Star Trek (how could you confuse Kirk and Spock with Picard and Worf?), so you're attempting to infuse the topic with something you do know about in the hope it'll create conversation.

Sorry if that sounds rude, but how can you have a discussion with someone about something they know little-to-nothing about? It'll either be one person constantly asking questions or the other person basically lecturing on the topic. In either case, it's not really a discussion about the content.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

So has anyone else been following "Strange New Worlds"? I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this season.They seem to have skewed a little more to the humorous side with the "Lower Decks" crossover and the recent musical episode, but I really enjoyed both and the whole series overall. Even the one where Spock meets his future in-laws was pretty good for something that starts off as a bad sitcom premise.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:10 pm So has anyone else been following "Strange New Worlds"? I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this season.They seem to have skewed a little more to the humorous side with the "Lower Decks" crossover and the recent musical episode, but I really enjoyed both and the whole series overall. Even the one where Spock meets his future in-laws was pretty good for something that starts off as a bad sitcom premise.
I was just telling my wife we need to catch up on this. We've watched the first ... I think, three episodes of the new season.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Has anybody seen this news? A small Alaska town wants a big bronze Riker :D

If it doesn't open, I'll quote it here:
A small Alaska town wants a big bronze Riker

Now that definitely would be an encounter at far point

by Brandon Vigliarolo
Wed 21 Feb 2024 // 20:00 UTC

Riverside, Iowa, self-proclaimed hometown of Star Trek's Captain James T. Kirk, has a erected a statue of their fictional hero, and Captain Kathryn Janeway has one in her future birthplace Bloomington, Indiana, as well.

Vulcan, Canada, hosts a monument to famous not-so-local-Vulcan Spock, and now, if a group of enterprising Star Trek fanatics have their way, Valdez, Alaska, will soon be home to another Trekkie landmark.

Valdez, a small town in the south of the US state, is home to about 4,000 people. In Star Trek mythology, it is the (future) birthplace of William T. Riker, born in 2335 to become Starfleet commander and first officer of the fifth USS Enterprise. Valdez native and Trek podcaster, Cameron Harrison, wants his hometown hero honored in bronze.

"Learning that one of the most beloved characters from Star Trek would be born [in Valdez] was just really cool and I've been dreaming of honoring that legacy for 20 years," Harrison told The Register. "That there's a connection between 'The Last Frontier' and 'The Final Frontier' is worth memorializing."

Harrison, along with fellow Alaskan-native trekkies Patrick Campaign and Jessie Desmond, started a group called Riker Maneuver, in homage to the infamous way Riker actor Jonathan Frakes would raise his leg over chairs to sit on the set of Star Trek: The Next Generation, to lead their effort to make the statue reality.

A statue, of course, with its leg up on a sci-fi inspired bench posed with plenty of Will Riker panache.

==============
Riker Maneuver isn't just a pipedream, and has even been given the blessing of Star Trek IP holder Paramount, who said it'll work with Frakes to get approval for use of his likeness if the team gets Valdez's approval. After having an initial meeting with city officials in December, Harrison tells us he's confident.

"I'm quite hopeful that the project will cross the finish line," Harrison told us. "Ken Wilson, the director [of Valdez] Parks & Rec, is quite interested and feels like it will be an easy sell."

As to whether Harrison thinks other Valdez locals will want a life-size bronze statue of Commander William Riker in Ruth Pond Park, he says the folks he's spoken with haven't been anything but excited.

"I've been gobsmacked to find out just how many Star Trek fans are out there...especially when they hear that a big pop culture icon from one of the biggest franchises in the world has origins in our humble town," Harrison told us.

With the city in possession of a full plan for the statue and a local artist committed to build it if approved, it's now in the hands of Valdez's various committees to sign off on the statue and a public comment period to hear out any objections. After that comes finding the money to build the thing, which Harrison told us Riker Maneuver plans to crowdfund.

"So far the reception we've heard from people has me feeling like that won't be a problem," Harrison said.

The number of US cities able to lay claim to a leading Star Trek character is rapidly dwindling. Other locales up for a statue include Mojave, California, home to pre-Kirk Enterprise Captain Christopher Pike; San Francisco, home to Enterprise helmsman Hikaru Sulu; and Panama City, Florida, birthplace of Enterprise (NX-01) chief engineer Charles "Trip" Tucker. ®
All right, I'm no Trekkie, but even I think that's pretty cool. :) What's your view?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I recently saw Dune (2021). Still not a fan of sci fi but a certain group of discussions between Gabriel and Wilkes just got even funnier. :D
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

BBP wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:56 pm I recently saw Dune (2021). Still not a fan of sci fi but a certain group of discussions between Gabriel and Wilkes just got even funnier. :D
Just saw Neil deGrasse Tyson on Colbert. I guess the thumpers wouldn't actually work. The sand won't carry the vibrations.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

That entire conversation was absolutely great. I love how well they also bounced off each other.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”