Favorite of the Series?

Slipping into your Leisure Suit? Need tips? Or just want to discuss Leisure Suit Larry (Ladies, try to keep the swooning to a minimum, please!) - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Favorite of the Series?

Post by Tawmis »

So if you had to pick a favorite from the LSL series - which one would it be and why?
And do you have a least favorite? What makes it so?
And for sake of argument - let's just say the Sierra ones and none of the ones that came post LSL7. Because that's too easy to say as a least favorite.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Favorite of the Series?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm ... my favourites are a tie between LSL2 and LSL3, because of all the deaths (and because they're both so hard ... Larry, shush! You and your dirty mind!) :P LSL6 and LSL7 are also good, but there aren't quite as many deaths (and they're easier ... I don't think I died in LSL7, not once). :shock:

Least favourite? LSL5, without a doubt. I don't know if blackface was less objectionable in 1991? Regardless, it's definitely objectionable now. :(
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:39 pm Hmm ... my favourites are a tie between LSL2 and LSL3, because of all the deaths (and because they're both so hard ... Larry, shush! You and your dirty mind!) :P LSL6 and LSL7 are also good, but there aren't quite as many deaths (and they're easier ... I don't think I died in LSL7, not once). :shock:

Least favourite? LSL5, without a doubt. I don't know if blackface was less objectionable in 1991? Regardless, it's definitely objectionable now. :(
We are of the same mind again.

LSL2 is easily my favorite. Even has the best cover.

LSL5 easily the worse. Because of the aforementioned blackface, but also because... it's weak. Through and through. It's not funny. It has no ... plot. Not even a "basic" one like LSL1. The whole p0rn company thing... was horrible. The entire game was horrible. And end up at the president's afterwards? I don't think you can even die, fail or dead end in LSL5.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Uh, I don't think I understand how (or why?) you even get invited to the White House at the end of LSL5. :? Can someone please tell me?

I agree that LSL5 has no plot, but then just about all of the Larry-game-plots are simply an excuse for Larry to try (and fail) to get laid. Until the end. :P Right? ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:53 pm Uh, I don't think I understand how (or why?) you even get invited to the White House at the end of LSL5. :? Can someone please tell me?
I agree that LSL5 has no plot, but then just about all of the Larry-game-plots are simply an excuse for Larry to try (and fail) to get laid. Until the end. :P Right? ;)
It has a lot to do with Patti being a part of the "Undercover Group" and the two of them - indirectly - bringing down a major corrupt organization in the music industry.

Which, really, is not enough to warrant it. But LSL5 was so poorly designed - it felt so forced.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmmmm ... maybe LSL4 (The Lost Floppies) had a more substantial plot, but when it went missing, Al had to rush development on the next one?

After all, LSL3 was released in 1989, and LSL5 in 1991. In the middle, LSL4 went AWOL. So ... it could've happened that way. :) Right?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

For me, it'd be the VGA remake of LSL1. I just really enjoy that game.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:48 pm For me, it'd be the VGA remake of LSL1. I just really enjoy that game.
They were able to definitely make an already fun game, with better graphics too. :)

Got a least favorite?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

My favourite would be a remake of LSL2. If only someone would remake it with better graphics. :D

(And before someone says "Well, why don't you do it?" ................ because I don't know anything about creating graphics?) *blush*
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I'd say LSL5 is the worst because there's nothing to it. You can do everything the worst possible way and still win the game.

As favourites there are LSL1 and LSL6 vying for competition over LSL7 - but LSL7 is the one that wins thanks to the superb voice acting, the best developed female characters and by far the best minigame and the best music. LSL7 is so rich in content I could only find all dialogue when making the script - and found how much there was. Like finding treasure. :D
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:42 am As favourites there are LSL1 and LSL6 vying for competition over LSL7 - but LSL7 is the one that wins thanks to the superb voice acting, the best developed female characters and by far the best minigame and the best music. LSL7 is so rich in content I could only find all dialogue when making the script - and found how much there was. Like finding treasure. :D
That's a good call. LSL7 really does have it all.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I also agree with you: LSL7 has fantastic voice acting, a great minigame and the best music.

Question, re the voice acting: is it just me, or does the fashion-designer's voice grate on anyone else's nerves? She comes across as very pretentious, almost stereotypically so. :(

It's odd, because I don't mind anyone else's voice-acting in LSL7 ... especially Peggy. Anything she says makes me laugh and laugh. "Hello, s***head!" isn't very funny, but when combined with the "Blow the Man Down" backing track ... :lol: I'm not sure why it's so funny, but to me, it is. :)

Can you please link to the script, BBP? :) I'd love to see what I've missed in LSL7.

(By the way, psst ... BBP, your "skip to new scripts" link is broken). ;)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Yeah they even make jokes about that Rath!

(looking at Jamie Lee Coitus)
...After retiring from the runway a few years ago, she became a leading haute couture designer. She's held up well. You still find her gorgeous and desirable.
That is, you did until you heard her speak!

(looking at Jamie Lee's lips)
How could lips that look so good produce a voice that sounds so bad?

Yeah I found the script link is broken. I'll fix it. Unfortunately it's not on the Larry Laffer-site (naughty you, Tawm!) I put them all on my google drive and once I posted all the links to the scripts on AdventureTreff.
https://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/topic/24787

Plus I think I put them all on the Wiki at one point.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:22 pm Yeah I found the script link is broken. I'll fix it. Unfortunately it's not on the Larry Laffer-site (naughty you, Tawm!) I put them all on my google drive and once I posted all the links to the scripts on AdventureTreff.
https://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/topic/24787
Plus I think I put them all on the Wiki at one point.
!!! Do you need me to put them on LSL hosted? I am happy to! Send them my way! :)

Return to “The Leisure Suit Larry Series”