In defense of the infamous Cat Hair puzzle...

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
SierraDude81
Sierra Lover

In defense of the infamous Cat Hair puzzle...

Post by SierraDude81 »

First, let me admit, that yes I did need to consult a walkthrough to get through this puzzle...it was very illogical and the solution makes no sense at all....

However, for some oddball reason, at least to me, it seems within Gabriel's character to steal Mosley's ID, and Jacket, draw an obviously fake mustache on it with a magic marker, then make a fake mustache for himself, and using Mosley's jacket, and a goofy hat, attempt to rent the only good bike left in town under his name, leaving him the shittiest one on the lot...

I mean, the two men are obviously not above extremely childish pranks of that nature...heck, they play monkey in the middle with a demon goddess! lol
The Procestuousity begins here!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: In defense of the infamous Cat Hair puzzle...

Post by DeadPoolX »

SierraDude81 wrote:First, let me admit, that yes I did need to consult a walkthrough to get through this puzzle...it was very illogical and the solution makes no sense at all....

However, for some oddball reason, at least to me, it seems within Gabriel's character to steal Mosley's ID, and Jacket, draw an obviously fake mustache on it with a magic marker, then make a fake mustache for himself, and using Mosley's jacket, and a goofy hat, attempt to rent the only good bike left in town under his name, leaving him the shittiest one on the lot...

I mean, the two men are obviously not above extremely childish pranks of that nature...heck, they play monkey in the middle with a demon goddess! lol
Perhaps both men are childish, but there's a difference between childish antics and the overwhelmingly ridiculous nature of the puzzle itself.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

While there are worst puzzles, the cat hair puzzle is one of the most infamous in all of "Adventuredom". It has been a while, but if I am not having a false memory, I believe that this one was tacked onto the game by other developers. Remember that the game was developed around the time that Sierra was in the upheaval of the CUC buyout. Some of the more dedicated GK fans here may be able to give more information on this.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

It was Steven Hill, the producer, who chose to scrap Jane's original idea and to change it with the cat-mustache puzzle, which is in no way respectful of what Jane originally designed. You can read Scott Bilas' recollection of the whole affair here, while on the Gabriel Knight 4 Campaign you can read a full expose of the puzzle, inspired by said interview.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”