The Worst Foods and Drinks in America

Talk about anything you want here
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

The Worst Foods and Drinks in America

Post by DeadPoolX »

On two websites/magazines called Men's Health and Women's Health, I found two interesting (and somewhat disturbing) articles about the stuff we eat and drink.
I know the articles specifically mention the United States, but I doubt it's any different in Canada and some European countries. The articles are from American sources, so that's probably why it doesn't discuss anything out the US.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
BBP
Village Elder

Re: The Worst Foods and Drinks in America

Post by BBP »

I stopped reading it at that Frozen Fries picture, that was just too gross. :shock:
Recently there's been a bit of a fight against sodium in foods since it's too easy to consume way too much of it.
McDonalds is trying to get a "healthy" link in consumer's minds. It's possible to get a burger menu with salad instead of fries. Good salad too, fresh, no sugar, with tomatoes and cucumber and maize. And you can get milk or water with your menu.
Of course, that doesn't stop the Quarter Pounder from being 50% of your daily calory supply. I wonder how, considering the bulk of cheese sold here (on pizzas, pre-packaged rasped cheese etc) is usually potato with a vague hint of cheese flavour.

...Yes... I can't help it... I love Duckman...
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Wendy's Triple Baconator?

It seems a superhero's name.

Anyway, I've read them all and, to my recollection, there is no place in the European countries I visited that serves anything remotely as gross as some of these dishes.

And yes, I know that eating habits are very different from Europe to the US, but can someone please explain to me how can this is be a breakfast?

I mean, the idea of eating these things first thing in the morning is bewildering.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

A few years ago, I used to eat two Ultimate Cheeseburgers from Jack in the Box. Frequently. It's a wonder I am not dead.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

AndreaDraco wrote: And yes, I know that eating habits are very different from Europe to the US, but can someone please explain to me how can this is be a breakfast?

I mean, the idea of eating these things first thing in the morning is bewildering.
I don't know either. Honestly nothing in that picture looks fit for consumption during any part of the day.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

therogue wrote:
AndreaDraco wrote: And yes, I know that eating habits are very different from Europe to the US, but can someone please explain to me how can this is be a breakfast?

I don't know either. Honestly nothing in that picture looks fit for consumption during any part of the day.
The eggs and hashbrowns I could do (if I had toast for the eggs!)

I am not a fan of pancakes, or... is that steak on the side?
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

By the way, those are some seriously thick pancakes o_O the ones I'm used to normally look like this Image

Still, nothing on that plate looks like breakfast food to me.

This does

:P I'm just weird that way
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

That's a lot of bread products.

And that picture that Andrea posted looks like a breakfast from DENNY'S which is an American Diner...
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

We eat pancakes for dinner here. When I went to an annual outing with the blind student group as guide dog, I got to decorate the pancakes at the pancake buffet. It was the first time I ever ate "chicken sate pancakes".
They're also a lot more thin, I guess they are a cross between sandwich and tortilla.

My vote for worst Dutch food is the kroket, some meaty fried snack that contains a lot of garbage food. A few years ago they arrested a man who had been selling spoilt meat kroketten for years, he even used meat that had gone green. I never liked them but that really killed my appetite for them.

(For therogue who mentioned liking Tintin: http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~jabega1c/kroket_kuifje.jpg
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

That picture looked like pancakes, eggs, hash browns, and country friend steak with gravy. I could be wrong, though.

In high school, the band had a tradition of going to Denny's and Waffle House after football games. Good times.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Here in Italy we usually do breakfast with coffee or tea or heated milk and then biscuits, croissants and/or bread with fruit jam. As such, the idea of eating eggs, bacon or steaks for breakfast seems outlandish to me :o
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

My mother used to make the ultimate beer battered steak.

That said, I don't... think... it's common to eat steak for breakfast.

Eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, yes.

But then I am not a breakfast person. So ... maybe steak is common, but not that I am aware of.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

AndreaDraco wrote:Here in Italy we usually do breakfast with coffee or tea or heated milk and then biscuits, croissants and/or bread with fruit jam.
That's called a Continental Breakfast here in America...often served in hotels here.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

What you are showing are what we would call Crêpes. The pancakes that most restaurants offer are not that good, but homemade buttermilk pancakes can be wonderful. When made right they are super light and fluffy and when served with real maple syrup are a real treat. If you look through DPX's link that Denny's breakfast has a breaded, deep fried steak, smothered in gravy :o !
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

As far as country fried steak goes, I'd eat it for breakfast, lunch, or supper. Steak's not a completely uncommon thing for breakfast in the south. Still not that common, really, but it wouldn't really be questioned.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”