So with GK1 being remade...

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

So with GK1 being remade...

Post by Tawmis »

Are you going to try and convince people you know to try and play it?

If so, what would you say to try to convince someone to play the new GK1?
BBP
Village Elder

Re: So with GK1 being remade...

Post by BBP »

It looks ace so far, but a lot would depend on how good the voice acting and music would turn out. Is there alternative dialogue and how good is the quality of that?
Since most of the people I've tried to get to play GK are Curry fans, I wouldn't give em GK1 Renewed just yet. Unless the original GK would be part of the anniversary package, of course.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Yeah, the voice acting is the main unknown about the game. The graphics look good, even if the camera angle is too high. We know the music will benefit from digital recordings and the story/dialog is still Jane's masterpiece. If not Curry, it really needs a professional actor.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I am not too concerned with the voice acting - as if it's bad, I will just turn it off and read the text, as I have done with other games. :)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Unless it has no text.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

Not having text would be both extremely unlikely and entirely inexcusable.

Personally, while I do think the remake looks nice, I'm not interested in buying it unless it's really cheap and on Steam.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

adeyke wrote:Not having text would be both extremely unlikely and entirely inexcusable.
Personally, while I do think the remake looks nice, I'm not interested in buying it unless it's really cheap and on Steam.
See, for me, I figured that the MysteryGameX was something GK related (either remake like the LSL kickstarter, or hope beyond hope, GK4 - but a remake seemed way more likely). I did it myself to support adventure games, and show a market for it. Just like whenever that Goldrush Remake comes out, I will purchase it. Every time they have re-released the collections, I have purchased them.
Mostly
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Mostly »

Voices were recorded late in 2012 at Bay Area Sound, who have done voices for games such as The Walking Dead. It may not be the same as the original, but I think the new voices will at least have very good performances.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I know Maia doesn't really care for how Gabe looks in the GK1 remake. She says he looks like Bon Jovi. :P

As for recommending it, I wouldn't until I've played it through. How can I accurately recommend something to someone else if I haven't played it myself? I can't just go by the original game, as the new one WILL be different in some very key ways, no matter how closely it resembles the 1993 version.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

New GK screens, and video for the remake.

http://www.postudios.com/blog/?p=5076
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Oh my. :) This sure brings back a lot of good memories! The fact that Robert Holmes is re-orchestrating the music is a good sign that he has faith in the final product. It definitely looks and sounds good so far! :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I would agree. :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Anybody played it yet? [curious]
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Corwim
Al who?

Post by Corwim »

Only had time to play it for about an hour or so, but so far I quite like it! They've done a great job in updating the graphics, with backgrounds that still remind you of the original game, but look a lot sharper of course. The 3D look of the characters takes some getting used to, but the animation is of a better quality than eg in Moebius (loved that game, but felt the animation wasn't the greatest :oops: ). Also, you have the soundtrack now in much higher quality and it sounds utterly fantastic! The voice acting is also better than I was expecting. Of course, it's not of the same high level of the original (which is imho one of THE best voice casts ever in a video game), but it gets the job done. Oh, and the new narrator voice is actually better than the original, which I used to turn off because she spoke sooooo slowly. :D

And then most importantly of course, the gameplay! :) I was happy to find that everything that made the original so great is still intact. I like the pie-menu that you get now when you click on something, displaying all the different options that are possible (eg open, use, take, ...). That way you don't have to guess anymore which action to use, but it is still reminiscent of the old interface. So far it looks like I'm thoroughly gonna enjoy this remake, and I'm curious about the new gameplay and puzzles they said they had put in! 8-)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

GK1Remake and LOG2 (Legend of Grimrock 2) came out the same day.

I have, admittedly, downloaded GK1 since I purchased it; but all my free (gaming time) has been sunk into Legend of Grimrock 2 at the moment.

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”